China releases counter-report on US human rights

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 01:05 pm
In what has become a yearly practice to counter the release of the US State Department's annual human rights reports (the most recent of which accused China of "backsliding" in human rights), China today released its own report on human rights in the United States in 2003, highlighting violent crime, alleged Patriot Act abuses, race and gender discrimination, and interference in the affairs of other countries.

The report, as published by Xinhua, is to be found HERE.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 513 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 03:00 pm
Interesting, though I'm afraid few countries in these world will ever achieve a good human rights record. Face it, we are less savages compared to 2000 years ago, but we are still far away from reaching true 'civilization'.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 03:27 pm
Every one of those issues is being intensely debated in the US at present. All the Chines government had to do was subscribe to a cross section of US publications, view a range of US web sites, choose up sides and summarize the results to construct their own assessment. This is little more then a smug propaganda ploy on the part of a repressive and increasingly unstable regime. If any Chinese activist attempt to address similar issues in China they would quickly be stifled. Take for example what happened to early HIV/AIDS activists in China, or what is going on in Hong Kong at the moment. With the exception of North Korea, there are very few legitimate grounds on which China can comment on other countries human rights issues.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 02:44 pm
Totally true acquiunk (although that doesn't make the 'errors' in the human right record of any country, like the US, acceptable). Although China is becoming more and more capitalistic, the human rights record is bad. Political opponents are 'not welcome' (understatement), there is no real independent media, nor can people really say what they want to say.
The National Geographic had a good article about environmental problems in China, but the article also shows how powerless people are. I talked with a good Chinese female friend of my today and she also said that the Communist regime is hated by a lot of Chinese, although the Communists were hated more 50 years ago than now. Her grandmother for example died in Cultural Revolution.
Sadly enough, nowadays economical benefits seem to be more important than human rights. And with the Chinese economy becoming more and more important, I'm afraid human rights won't improve, without the world saying something about it.
0 Replies