Fifth Column

gollum

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 04:23 am
There is a fear that if a country went to war with a second country that some residents of the first country who share ethnicity or other connection with the second country might subvert the first country.

Are there significant examples of it occurring?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,319 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 04:29 am
It's named for an event in the Spanish Civil War of the 20th century. (Incredibly, Spain had a history before the 20th century, including a civil war.)

Strictly speaking, it would apply to a situation in a civil war, although i suppose the term could be applied to the partisans of an invading force who are native to the country being invaded.

This source gives a brief but specific account of the origin of the term.
gollum

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 12:23 pm
@Setanta,
An event or a statement by Emilio Mola, a Nationalist General during the Spanish Civil War that as his four columns of troops approached Madrid, a "fifth column" of supporters inside the city would support him and undermine the Republican government from within?

Did it occur in Spain? In the invasion of other countries?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:21 pm
From the source i provided:

Quote:
In October 1936, in the hostilities of the Spanish Civil War, the nationalist General Emilio Mola and his supporters besieged Madrid with four columns of troops.

I suppose it would be possible to describe natives of a nation being invaded as fifth columnists if they acted against their own nation's forces in support of the invader. No, i don't know of any examples of that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:21 pm
You do know that Madrid is the capital of Spain, right?
gollum

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:40 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta-
Thank you. Yes, I know that Madrid is the capital of Spain. I know that four columns of troops invaded. I know that there was a fear of indigenous Spaniards (i.e., a fifth column") helping the invaders.

I asked whether there were any significant cases in Spain and/or elsewhere when the indigenous "fifth column" actually rose up and helped the invader.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:55 pm
Mola and the Nationalists weren't invaders, they were Spaniard's fighting in the civil war against the Second Republic, which Mola believed to be bolshevik dupes of an international Jewish conspiracy. He believed that Jews were behind conspiracies to take over Europe, and that therefore fascism was justified. It was not an invasion.

I've already told you i know of no case in which indigenous fifth columnists rose to aid an actual invasion.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:58 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 04:03 pm
Here, read about the Spanish Civil War. Ya can't tell the players without a score card.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 04:47 pm
Apropos of absolutely nothing, the only play for the stage that Ernest Hemingway ever wrote was entitled The Fifth Column. It may have had something to do with popularizing the expression at that time. It was a dreadful play. (Yes, I've read it.) It was set in Spain during the civil war. Don't know if it was ever actually performed or not.
0 Replies