Any Given Sunday Film Question

logan89

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 04:34 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI0afHx6kzc

I'm doing a detailed synopsis on a variety of Football Films including Any Given Sunday. Can someone explain to me what's going on in this scene? I understand things like this happen during a fumble, but I'm not exactly sure if thats the case here? Like at 0:08 and after Im totally lost. Can any real players explain the situation? if they've experienced something similar? I understand it's a movie but apparently this is supposed to be the most realistic one, so anyone have any idea what stone was trying to portray? or if this happens in the NFL any in-depth insight would be greatly appreciated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,544 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 05:09 pm
@logan89,

i haven't seen the film, but it's not necessarily a fumble -- it looks like the quarterback got sacked,
and then everyone piled on.

the mayhem is embellished for the movie.

watch a few minutes of a real pro football game on sunday -- you won't see anything like that happen.

the league is a lot more concerned about player safety than it was when the film was made (1999) -- particularly the avoidance of
players getting concussions and other trauma to the head...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 05:12 pm
@logan89,
It's definitely embellished, but what you are looking at here is a 'pile-on' or sometimes called a 'scrum' (though Rugby players would disagree with that).

It's a scene intended to highlight the violent and sometimes dirty aspects of the game. There definitely have been incidences in the past where players claw, punch and kick at each other while fighting for the ball in a pile.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 05:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
0 Replies