cd properties

kateri

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:15 pm
I have a CD-RW drive. It has started making the file transfers from my hard drive to a CD-RW disk into READ ONLY files. I double checked the file properties of my hard drive files and they are NOT read only.

Don't know too much about computers. Using CD as back up. Simple explanatiion/anwer appreciated.
Thanks Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:21 pm
Are you sure the CDs are CD-RW and not CD-R?
0 Replies

rorwizard

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 09:33 pm
CD-RW's work on the concept that they can be erased and then re written. Files however that are on a CD-RW can not be edited individually. If you want to change the files on the CD-RW you have to erase the whole thing and burn everything, with the new versions again. Also know that CD-RW's don't last trough endless erasings... most last right around 10
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 10:41 pm
Been having the same problem, kateri. Strangely, it is intermittant.

Good to find out the lifespan of a CD, wizard. I have had occasions of reformating the CD-RW and am getting the same Read Only message. Checking the properties of the CD, I discover that none of the blocks for read only, archive, or hidden are checked, AND the representation of the disk is solid blue indicatating a full disk. Again, this is a newly formated disk.

I'm using a LiteOn drive and InCD software for formating and burning. Any help for either of us would be appreciated.
0 Replies

kateri

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 02:48 am
roger wrote:
Been having the same problem, kateri. Strangely, it is intermittant.

Good to find out the lifespan of a CD, wizard. I have had occasions of reformating the CD-RW and am getting the same Read Only message. Checking the properties of the CD, I discover that none of the blocks for read only, archive, or hidden are checked, AND the representation of the disk is solid blue indicatating a full disk. Again, this is a newly formated disk.

I'm using a LiteOn drive and InCD software for formating and burning. Any help for either of us would be appreciated.
So helpful to learn that CD-RW need to be completely erased have a SHORT LIFE SPAN of erasings. rorwizard: As this lifespan is a technical issure, I will now use CD-R's even though it seems such a waste of resources and pollutant generator. THANK YOU rorwizard
FULL GRID indicator happened to me, roger, even though I have an internal CD that came with computer and use the accompanying wizard.
I did CHECK to see if CD was in fact CD-RW, Craven de Kere. Good idea - like checking the outlet before calling the electrician!
0 Replies

kateri

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 02:16 am
CD-RW lifespan
Grateful for learning about limited lifespan. Have stopped relying on CD-RW. !!!thanks Smile everyone!!!
0 Replies