Web site image

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:19 am
Hi All

Can anyone tell me how I can size an image for my web site. I need to size it both physically and by the number of KBytes (around 20kb). As you'll probably guess by the mere fact that I'm asking this question I'm a complete dope when it comes to computer issues - so please type slowly when replying!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,238 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Monger

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:43 am
Do you have any graphics programs?
0 Replies

Prototype

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:00 am
No - I've found PAINT in Accessories but it doesn't seem to do much?!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:27 am
Paint can resize images (with horrible quality), but it will not offer any reasonable control over the filesize.

The websites here can do mediocre filesize optimization for free, but won't actually change image dimensions.

What you need is an image editing program, such as Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements (cheaper version), Corel Painter, Jasc Paint Shop Pro, etc etc...there are a number available.

One such program that's free is The Gimp, but it might be a little harder for a novice to use. Hmm, I can't think of other free programs that will resize & optimize images with decent quality.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
Note: Photoshop in particular offers high quality image resizing (though you may need to sharpen the image a bit afterwards) & excellent control over image optimization...you can use it to do advanced things like gif transparency dithering or compressing different areas of the same jpg file at individual quality levels.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:58 am
Prototype, if you post your image here & tell me the dimensions you need it to be, I'll see if I can resize it & get it down to 20kb for ya.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 09:30 am
If it is in gif format, there is a great online gif editor at
GIFWORKS
Check it out.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 09:35 am
I agree George, that's great for a free site. I'd seen it before but forgot where to find it. Thanks!
0 Replies

Prototype

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 12:00 pm
Hi Monger

I picked up a copy of Photoshop Elements, will load and have a look at it tomorrow - will let you know how I get on.

Ta
0 Replies

Prototype

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 06:15 am
Bought and loaded a copy of Photoshop Elements - managed to resize and actually upload 4 images on to my site. Then it all went horribly wrong - the previous images on my site actually measured what I resized them to - now the images seem to be 4 times the size I've specified. I am totally confused - does this make any sense to any one???
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 08:14 am
IRFANVIEW is a no-cost, small-footprint, adware/malware free app that while limited in scope will do what you want. It will let you resize an image in terms of pixels, filesize or overall dimmensions, and has presets for resizing to common web-file sizes. It handles just about every graphics format there is, and can cross-convert them. For some folks, its all they need.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 09:04 am
Doh! And I've been using it for years to view pictures.

Anywho, Photoshop Elements is a good program, Prototype. I think maybe you're viewing the image at less than 100% size within PE. Try clicking the zoom tool, then right click the image & click Actual Pixels.
0 Replies