The Official 2013 NYC Mayoral Election thread

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 03:59 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
I voted here in Virginia at a sleepy precinct around 2 o'clock.
In 2008 and 2012 turnout was around 70% of registered voters. In the last race for Gov the turnout was more like 40%.
I am hoping that the turnout today will exceed that. But I am not confident. The Tea Party Repubs will show up in force and the anti-Cooch folks will too. I am not sure about the young, blacks or Hispanics. Or maybe mainstream Repubs.
A Repub guy made a true but unfortunate comment that if turnout was closer to 30% his candidate would win.
Polls close at 7 pm.
My prediction: McAuliffe 51%, Cuchinnelli 43%, Sarvis 6%. Turnout: 41%.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:

My prediction: McAuliffe 51%, Cuchinnelli 43%, Sarvis 6%. Turnout: 41%.

That's encouraging. However, given voter repression in Virginia, election officials/staffers are working overtime to get Democrats to the polls. If you will notice, because of voter repression in some states in 2012, Blacks exceeded themselves, outvoting Whites at the polls for the first time in history. I have faith that the fact the Tea Party's governors trying to suppress the votes of minorities will only motivate them like nothing else. Blacks and Latinos realize they have much to lose, even though the latter within a few years will be the Majority Minority. This morning I voted at 6am and people were waiting on line to vote and this in an off-year presidential election; surely people are exercised for a reason.

Your prediction is lifting my hopes. If McAuliffe does win by six months, this will signal the slow end for the Tea Party; Ted Cruz has already done enormous damage to the GOP!

Wow! Politics is exciting!!!!!!
Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 06:12 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
The polls have closed in VA and Mcauliffe is leading. Still Too early to call.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 06:53 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Way too early to tell. I do find it interesting that the Repub candidate for AG is getting so many votes. His name recognition is good (his daddy was somebody sometime) and he kept his distance from Cooch. The Dems were/are hoping for a clean sweep.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 07:19 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Uh-uh! My hopes for Virginia might be dashed! Too close to call and the MSNBC thread at the bottom of the screen keeps showing Cuccinelli ahead so far. How depressing! How could we be so wrong and how much manipulation did the creepy GOP indulge in to make this happen besides voter repression?
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 07:28 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Fear not, M-I-T. I don't know what site you are watching. I have the Va Board of Elections one. Too early yet to make a call.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 07:38 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:

Fear not, M-I-T. I don't know what site you are watching. I have the Va Board of Elections one. Too early yet to make a call.

Thanks for the encouragement, Realj. I was watching MSNBC but became so pessimistic I began watching a DVR recording. My problem is I become so emotionally involved with elections and when I things don't go my way, I run.

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:11 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Okay. I'm getting nervous about this. It is close to being tied and the Va election website seems to be frozen.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
that us very interesing because just yesterday I was reading that this race shows how the R's are washed up.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
As of 9:29 pm, the difference between the two is 400 votes out of 1,800.000 cast.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:47 pm
The Democrat won Virginia.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
McAuliffe now up by 17,000.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:57 pm
Locally, Houston's Mayor Parker won reelection. Seems like the best choice to me.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
But, edgar, did they vote to tear down the Astrodome?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
They haven't announced the results yet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:32 pm
Well -
KHOU 11 News
With 36 percent of the precincts counted, it's not looking good for the Astrodome. 53% have voted against saving it. Your thoughts?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:33 pm
C-SPAN
New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (R) wins re-election.

News Networks Project Terry McAuliffe (D) Wins Virginia Governor’s Race.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The Democrat won Virginia.

YIPPEE!!!!!!! Thanks Edgar. I had given up I was so depressed!!!!!! May the powers that be bless you always!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:58 pm
BREAKING: Houston voters have rejected a plan to convert the shuttered Astrodome into a convention center and have likely doomed the iconic stadium to demolition.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 12:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
RJ, according to MSNBC Rachel Maddow show last night, the election for Attorney General is still not settled. It seems thousands of votes in FairFax, a heavily Democratic county, were not counted. This county is sure to vote overwhelmingly for the Dem candidate for AG. Cuccinnelli has asked that the traditional way of counting the mail-in ballots should have the voter present. He is trying to steal the AG election for his friend. I also suspect the ballots for the main election between McAuliffe and Cuccinelli should never have been that close and tampering was involved. Cuccinelli did not have an open primary but a closed one. The people of Virginia did not have a say in whom they would choose for Attorney General to replace Ken Cuccinelli.

What's your personal take on this current situation.
0 Replies