The Official 2013 NYC Mayoral Election thread

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 06:57 am
Anthony Weiner is ranked second in a poll and he's still not officially in the race.
NY Dems Willing to Consider Weiner for Mayor: Poll
Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 04:00 AM
http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2013/apr/17/poll-unhappy-choices-new-york-dems-willing-consider-weiner/
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 07:44 am

One thing is certain - - New York City will a far better city
when billionaire Bloomberg is living in Bermuda full time.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 10:01 am
'No Guarantee' City Can Handle Run-off as Scheduled, Election Officials Testify
Thursday, March 14, 2013
http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-news/2013/mar/14/no-guarantee-city-can-handle-run-scheduled-election-officials-testify/?utm_source=/articles/wnyc-news/2013/apr/18/why-dont-new-yorkers-vote-blame-demographics-and-design/

Possible Blerg!
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 10:50 am
@tsarstepan,
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
The Mayor’s Race Is Too Damn On, Thanks to Jimmy McMillan’s New Rap
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/04/race-is-too-damn-on-thanks-to-jimmy-mcmillan.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 12:01 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 Thu 11 Apr, 2013 wrote:

is it too early to announce that Anthony Weiner is the incoming NYC mayor?

Quote:
(CNN) – A little more than a month after entering New York City’s high-profile mayoral race, Anthony Weiner has inched ahead for the first time in the crowded Democratic primary, a new poll indicates.

The former congressman has support among 25% of registered Democrats, with City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, the longtime front-runner in the race, coming in at 20%, according to a survey released Tuesday by the Wall Street Journal, NBC New York and Marist.

Weiner's five percentage point advantage falls within the survey's sampling error, meaning the two are statistically tied.

Following Weiner and Quinn were former Comptroller Bill Thompson at 13%, Public Advocate Bill de Blasio at 10% and city Comptroller John Liu at 8%.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/25/poll-weiner-takes-the-edge-in-new-york-city-race/?hpt=hp_t2

on his way!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:13 pm
As of today, Bill De Blasio is leading the polls and since he's the most progressive of the most viable of the three top candidates (Christine Quinn and Bill Thompson the other two of the three), he's my likely vote this September.

Bill de Blasio takes the lead in NYC mayoral race: poll
http://news.yahoo.com/bill-de-blasio-takes-the-lead-in-nyc-mayoral-race-194645363.html
ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 10:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yay. I said that somewhere before, that is who I am for from afar. I guess not this thread.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 07:16 pm
HAPPY PRIMARY EVE!
Quote:
In New York City and the counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Putnam and Erie, POLLS OPEN AT 6 AM - CLOSE AT 9 PM.

Now, let's get De Blasio at least 40% of the primary vote so we can avoid the runoff!
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 06:19 am
@tsarstepan,
I was the first person to vote at my polling station this morning at about 06:25ish.

I voted for Bill de Blasio of course.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 03:59 am
@tsarstepan,
Code:98% of precincts as of 5:50 am
Bill de Blasio 40.19% 257,034
William Thompson 26.04% 166,516

As of this morning, we're so close in avoiding a runoff election. 40% is the magic number!
Rockhead

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 04:33 am
@tsarstepan,
where's the weiner?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 06:05 am
@Rockhead,
AS of now, he's fifth place at Anthony Weiner with 4.91% of the vote.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 04:52 am
@tsarstepan,
De Blasio in Position to Win Mayor’s Race by Historic Margin, Poll Shows

Bill de Blasio is poised to win the race for mayor of New York City by a historically large margin, powered by optimism that he will bring about change and by overwhelming voter disapproval of the Republican Party.

James Estrin/The New York Times
Bill de Blasio, with his wife, Chirlane McCray, holds a historic 45-point lead in the New York mayoral race, according to a new poll.

How the Poll Was Conducted (October 28, 2013)

The N.Y.C. Mayor’s Race: A Final Look
Mr. de Blasio, a Democrat who is currently the public advocate, leads his Republican opponent, Joseph J. Lhota, a former chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, by 45 points among likely voters, according to a New York Times/Siena College poll. That lead, which has remained remarkably consistent in multiple polls over the last six weeks, suggests that Mr. de Blasio could win the most sweeping victory in a mayor’s race since 1985, when Edward I. Koch was re-elected to a third term with a crushing 68-point margin of victory over his opponents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/28/nyregion/de-blasio-in-position-to-win-mayors-race-by-historic-margin-poll-shows.html?hp&_r=0
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 07:08 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Just as long as there isn't any last minute scandal reveal, de Blasio is likely to win and win big. Lhota is constantly shooting is own foot every time and he's not making any new friends with each and every press announcement.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 10:01 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:

Just as long as there isn't any last minute scandal reveal, de Blasio is likely to win and win big.

De Blasio has been vetted over and over again, remember he is New York's Public Advocate. I'm curious with respect to the margin of victory for de Blasio, remember this is an off-year without a presidential election. In NJ, Corey Booker was even more ahead of Tea party Lonegan in New Jersey with the latter barely registering in the polls. In fact most just assumed Booker would walk away a *huge* margin; instead, what seemed like a blink of an eye, there was just a 10 pt margin between the two, then a six point; in the final count, Booker won by 11pts. I'm still wondering what happened. Someone said it was because the election occurred in an off-year and not many people bothered to vote. But the Tea Party is so hated in Jersey that one wonders how Lonegan ever had the presumption to think he could win.

Back to Bill de Blasio, I'm supremely optismistic he'll win and be a restorative presence for all New Yorkers. It's about time justice stopped by NY!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 10:08 am
@Moment-in-Time,
I'm optimistic that de Blasio can pull in a decent turnout despite the midseason election status as he does have an enthusiastic base rallying around him during the primary season (including yours truly).
Moment-in-Time

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 04:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
(including yours truly).

Ditto!

Another race I'm interested in is Virginia's governorship. Democrat Terry McAuliffe and Tea Party darling, Ken Cuccinelli, are not that far apart in the polls. Ken Cuccinelli is Virginia's Attorney General and refuses to recuse himself from voter repression laws which will be in effect unless the Justice Department, Eric Holder, can stop this crime against voters. McAuliffe is edging Republican Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli 43-39 percent. I'm really nervous about this particular race. There is no way Tea Party Cuccinelli should be this close to McAulliffe. Women with drivers license slightly different or have gotten a divorce or etc, might be challenged. Women are the biggest threat to Tea Party Ken Cuccinelli with policies hostile to women's bodies, Virginia ultrasound law, etc.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 05:27 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Here is more than you want to know about the Gov race in my state of VA...
1) They are both lousy candidates. McAulliffe is perceived by some, including Dems, as having a bit of a sleazy business background. And he is a Clinton backed carpetbagger from New York in the minds of some. Cuccinelli is mocked for some of his ideas and is disliked within the Repub party. He didn't wait his turn to become Gov. Bill Bolling could have won this race if the Repubs could have held a primary instead of a convention.
2) There are two Virginias: the urban areas of Northern VA, Richmond and Tidewater...and the rural areas of much of the rest of the state. The key to this election will be turnout. If McAulliffe can get the young or black or women voters excited, he will win. I am not sure he is doing that. But I am also not sure that Cuccinelli is either with his base. Turnout is key.
3) There is a Libertarian Party candidate, Robert Sarvis, who is polling at 10%. Normally I would expect that to decline on election day. I would watch to see if that is the case here. We will perhaps see if the "vote the scum out" has any legs.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 06:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
Realjohnboy, thanks for your response...I'm appreciative and find you statement most interesting. I understand what you mean with respect to Terry McAulliffe not being the first choice of Dems, but he is so preferable to the alternative....the lesser of the two evils. There is no way I would ever feel comfortable with a Tea party candidate winning in purple Virginia.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 02:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
. The key to this election will be turnout. If McAulliffe can get the young or black or women voters excited, he will win. I am not sure he is doing that. But I am also not sure that Cuccinelli is either with his base. Turnout is key.

You are correct, realJ, "turnout is the key." I'm nervous because of voter suppression in the state which will hamper Dems progress.

Quote:
2) There are two Virginias: the urban areas of Northern VA, Richmond and Tidewater...and the rural areas of much of the rest of the state

It's been reported by a reporter in Northern VA that people in that area of Virginia are leaning cuccinelli but the overall climate looks favorable for McAulliffe. Virginia seems to have a huge Latino population which would favor McAulliffe.

Also, I was curious as to why McAulliffe was so disliked but considered by many Virginians as the lesser of the two evils. You say he's seen as a carpet bagger but was the "sleazy business background" ever proven? I'm familiar with him slightly as handling Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, but that's all. The race so far is too close for me and it would not surprise me if the tea party candidate got the job.

Well, tonight is the night!