Our Purpose Here On Earth

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 06:12 am
1) Come to the knowledge of Truth & awaken spiritually
2) Follow Jesus's footsteps
3) Support & help the fellow 'body' of Christ
4) Use our gifts to God's will (1Corinth 12)
5) Help others come to the knowledge of the Truth

What is Truth? You can find truth through your own direct experiences or through faith and investigation in the word of God. I think that you must have faith until you obtain direct experience of the Truth, obviously

Here's some verses on the Truth:
Ephesians 6 ~ pay attention to verse 17

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

1 John 2:4-6 The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

1John 7:16-19 Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me. 17If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. 18He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him. 19Has not Moses given you the law? Yet not one of you keeps the law.

1 John 4:3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

I like this verse Smile
2 Thess 2:13 But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

I think the purpose is self realization (without evil we would not know good) then 2 change/grow/learn, make the conscious free will decisions to do good/God's will. We must renew out mind/psyche, most people think 'going thru the motions' is enough but our spiritual relationship with God is in fact a very personal and intimate experience - it's awesome!

Luke 17:20-21 ~ Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied " The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say 'Here it is' or 'There it is' because the kingdom of God is within you.

The world is obviously filled w/ opposites, good-evil, love-hate...etc. We must observe our psyche and make the conscious decision to detach ourselves from the negative emotions we feel....it's soooo hard but it gets easier every time. If you really observe yourself you will see what I'm talking about. Remember, what is in someone's heart will clearly show through their actions and words Smile

Also, always check with what you are 'taught' when it comes to spiritual matters, check it against what God says because that is the closest thing we have to the Truth - and pray for strength & wisdom in understanding/seeing the truth in the midst of mass lies. I'm actually in the process of looking for a good hebrew language class ~ I want to read the holy texts in their original languages, aramaic, hebrew, and greek - so if anyone knows of any good online or offline classes please let me know!

These are of course my views and I am working on bettering myself ~ so please don't take offense if you don't agree. I am brand new to this forum and I just wanted to introduce myself and share Smile

~Kristin
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,261 • Replies: 31
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 06:21 am
if this inquiry gives you comfort, then , of course, for you, its important. There are many who , like me, feel that the purpose of life is to consume as much white clam sauce and linguini.
0 Replies

Investor4life

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 06:28 am
*lol!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 07:01 am
'I don't know'. The powers that be do not speak to me nor expect me to speak for them. And I am suspicious of those who say otherwise.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:49 am
To find happiness and reproduce. But for me, when I'm ''reproducing" I'm usually pretty happy Laughing
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 12:15 pm
I took a course on Hedonism in college. It was one of the most interesting non-scientific course I have ever taken.

The theory the professor put forward is that "pleasure" is really the only thing with intrinsic value. Everything else we do is really just a way to get the pleasure we are really seeking.

Interesting enough, this does not lead to a wild "sinful" life. For example, when I am faithful to my wife, this is because I know that a commited relationship will give me more real pleasure than a short-term fling.

This theory that "pleasure" is our highest purpose is still the only logically consistant theory I have encountered.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:59 pm
I don't know i believe there is no point ahhhh sadnesss...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 03:50 pm
Our purpose on earth is to consume spaghetti with tomato sauce and spicey Italian sausage.
0 Replies

Investor4life

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:16 pm
Why is it that everyone here is obsessed with food? lol!
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:46 pm
I don't agree that the meaning for our existence is for pleasure. I think it is for happiness. There's a huge difference between pleasure and happiness. I'd like to quote James E. Talmage, a professor and religious leader.

Happiness is true food, wholesome, nutritious and sweet; it builds up the body and generates energy for action, physical, mental and spiritual; pleasure is but a deceiving stimulant which, like spirituous drink, makes one think he is strong when in reality enfeebled; makes him fancy he is well when in fact stricken with deadly malady.

"Happiness leaves no bad aftertaste, it is followed by no depressing reaction; it calls for no repentance, brings no regret, entails no remorse; pleasure too often makes necessary repentance, contrition, and suffering; and, if indulged to the extreme, it brings degradation and destruction.

"True happiness is lived over and over again in memory, always with a renewal of the original good; a moment of unholy pleasure may leave a barbed sting, which, like a thorn in the flesh, is an ever-present source of anguish.

"Happiness is not akin with levity, nor is it one with light-minded mirth. It springs from the deeper fountains of the soul, and is not infrequently accompanied by tears. Have you never been so happy that you have to weep?
0 Replies

Investor4life

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 08:44 pm
Scoates - I love the quotes Smile

I agree, true happiness is much different (but close) to our feelings of 'pleasure'. True happiness is pure, and pleasure is often a 'feel good' reaction to something-- Say you have pleasure from having sex w/ someone, what's to say that over a period of time you will not need more than you have now to induce that same pleasureable feeling?--Example: It's no secret that when someone is getting pleasure from sex, whether it is literal sex or eye candy, that a few times on the same thing is going 2 push you to desire and go to higher level because your 'urge' is going to increase and it wants to be 'fed'.....then it goes on and on from there- that's why we have so many perverts, rapists, s&m, fetishes......etc - whereas true love/happiness is different, does not 'react' (in a sense), and does not change. If you have true love and happiness between 2 people you will not be feeding your 'desires', you will be making true love which is much, much different.

~Kristin
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 08:59 pm
hmmmmm

To annoy as few other living organisms as possible. That would be the bottom line of my self-perceived purpose in being here.

... and to eat as much spinach souffle and oysters rockefeller as is possible without having an upset tum.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:04 pm
As far as being alive for pleasure just doesn't seem like a good goal. Apples taste good (pleasure), and you have to eat them to live, but they don't make me happy. And existence isn't very fun if you're not happy.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:50 pm
Forget about the spaghetti and linguini. Around here it is a big juicy t-bone cooked over a bed of .. yep, you guessed it .. mesquite.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:17 am
To reverse the laws of entropy that doom us all and ensure that life goes on indefinately?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 02:55 pm
If you reverse the laws of thermodynamics, i wouldnt be able to cook my linguini.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 03:47 pm
It is my purpose to annoy as many of you as possible.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 04:03 pm
truth
Farmerman, please do not speak lightly of my religion. Or half of my religion. The other half centers on linguini con aglio e olio.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 04:08 pm
truth
Seriously, our function (i.e., purpose) is to serve as the environment for various viruses.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 04:27 pm
set--then you shouldnt hhave a cutesy idow doggie on your "tar.

jl--brilliant, a version of aDAM hADEM
0 Replies