Whether to interpret based on descriptive or infferential statistics in the present case?

saurin

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 02:54 am
In our study which is already completed, I have three groups: Drug A(n=87), Drug B(=62) and Drug C(n=5). The Shapiro-Wilk test, Histograms and Side-by-side Box plots were used to assess normality of the data of the individual group with respect to all the parameters used separately (weight, BMI, blood sugar, total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL-cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol, clinical/illness/adverse effect/quality of life etc scores). So, ultimately looking to non-normal distribution, outliers, unequal sample size (n=5 in Drug C group), in addition to descriptive statistics (mean ± SD and proportion of % wherever applicable), nonparametric tests were carried out for the inferential statistics. For between-group comparisons, Kruskal Wallis H and subsequently for the therapeutic where p<0.05 obtained in Kruskal Wallis H, Mann Whitney U test as post-hoc test were used. And in case of within-group comparison, Freidman’s test (for five evaluable visits data) and subsequently for p<0.05 for the therapeutic where p<0.05 obtained in Freidman’s test, Wilcoxon-signed rank test as post-hoc test were done. And in case of p<0.05 obtained in Wilcoxon-signed rank test in two (out of three) groups further to ascertain the between-group significance difference, Mann Whitney U test was also done.

Kindle advise me: 1) First of all, have I done the right choice of tests and am I in right direction? 2) As regarding present analytical sample of total N=154, for arriving at final conclusion should I depend on descriptive or inferential statistics or both? 3) In case where the mean ± SD changes and proportion of percentage (%) are found comparatively higher in case of Drug C which has sample power n=5 compared to other two drug groups but in case of between-group and/or within group inferential statistical analysis, (wherever) found non-significant difference/change in case of Drug C, can it be ‘said’ superior to other two drugs ‘on the basis of descriptive statistics’ or can I at least make a statement that mean± SD and proportion of % changes at endpoint (or at other time-point) compared to baseline were found higher in case of Drug C compared to other two or other one ? So, what should be the (cautious) interpretation/statement in case of Drug C compared to other two drugs?
I shall be thankful and appreciate your prompt reply.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 349 • Replies: 0
No top replies