Black and White

SCoates

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:47 pm
I'm sick of hearing people say that black and white are not colors. It's just absurd. If black and white are not "colors" then it is because something is wrong with the definition of the word and not the colors themselves. I'm so angry I could puke twice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 814 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:18 pm
Calm down there buddy. Black is the absense of colour and white is them all mixed together. However this is when refering to the colour spectrum or light, not tints, shades ect.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:21 pm
Black is the absense of light, not color. Black is actually a very rich color.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:22 pm
I think he's trying to start one of those black or white arguments.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:37 pm
oops, my bad....sometimes I type before I think.

Acquiunk, I say there are shades.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:10 pm
truth
Technically, white IS the presence of all colors and black is the absence of color. But aesthetically, both are colors. When I paint I often use black and white in combination with other colors because of the effect they have on the overall color composition. I add white or black TO colors to change their value (tint and shade) and I use white and/or black next to other colors for their effect.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:21 pm
With paint, or pigment, I think they are colors - with light, they aren't.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 03:52 pm
The definition of color doesn't mean it has to be included in the spectrum of light. Here's the definition from dictionary.com. "That aspect of things that is caused by differing qualities of the light reflected or emitted by them, definable in terms of the observer or of the light." "No light" is definitely defined with respect to light, and "black" is one of the qualities created by light being reflected from an object.
0 Replies