permanent ads on harddrive

dw1431

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 02:59 pm
if anyone can help me on this it would be greatly appreciated - i have been attacked by adware (i believe) because when i turn on my pc, i have a permanent "search bar" sponsored by u.s. search at the bottom of my screen that i do not know how to delete - if i download a program such as ad-aware, will it delete this thing or does that program just prevent future attacks?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 636 • Replies: 3
No top replies

soserene

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 03:39 pm
I have ad aware, and it doesn't prevent or monitor unless you pay for the full version, but you can run it as often as you like manually, and it should get rid of it Smile
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 03:41 pm
Hi dw.......

My Dad had the same problem. Only it wasn't just "one" ....his computer was pretty taken over. When he would load up, an endless stream of links would pop up.

I used spy-bot and ad-aware to get rid of them. Both are free to download. What one didn't get rid of...the other did.

And yes.....both programs allow you to remove the lil "pests"

Spy Bot

Ad-Aware
0 Replies

discogail

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 04:55 pm
After installing AAW, and before running the program, update by using the Globe icon.
Shut down and restart Ad-Aware.
Now press "Scan Now", "Select drives\folders to scan" and select the active partition (usually C: ), then 'next', and let Ad-Aware scan your drives.
It will find a number of "bad" files and registry keys. Click 'Next' again.
Rightclick in that pane and choose "select all" and click 'next'.
It will ask you whether you'd like to remove all checked items. Click OK.
Finally, close Ad-Aware, and reboot.........

for Spybot...
after installing......hit.."Search for Updates".....get them all.......(Download Updates)........then "Check for Problems".......after the scan is complete..allow Spybot to remove everything listed in RED......

If the "search bar" is still there...........
download HijackThis from
http://mjc1.com/files/merijn/HijackThis.exe
to a folder of your choice......doubleclick to open."Scan"...then "Save Log"...when it opens in notepad.......copy (edit..select all..copy) & paste (CTRL-V) the log into your next reply.......
0 Replies