Commonsense

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:23 pm
We see a fire, and we know it is hot, so we don't touch. But if we have never seen or heard of fire, and we didn't know what heat was, would we touch?

So, are we born with commonsense, or do we learn it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,016 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Terry

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:26 pm
We learn common sense. At least, the survivors do. Smile
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:28 pm
Common sense is the ability to determine what's real versus what's unreal, or in other words, good judgement, knowing the difference betweent right and wrong, and doing it.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:39 pm
A young child has to touch a hot stove in order to understand what hot means.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:42 pm
Keep in mind, too, that good judgement comes from experience. And experience comes from bad judgement.

I think that it's not so much you're born with common sense, but that some people learn it better than others. Some people try to experience more than others, and have a jump on learning common sense.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 01:35 am
Some children have to touch the stove several times before it really sinks in. Skeptical empiricists in training.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:17 pm
truth
I don't equate practical thinking with "common sense." Theoretical work (i.e., uncommon sense) can also produce very practical results. I think of common sense as conventional thought, and a problem with it is that it's just too common.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:11 pm
People don't "not touch fire" because of common sense. People don't touch fire because of pain. Sadly, if there were no such thing as pain, I think a lot of people would melt parts of themselves for fun. Especially guys. Guys are just the ones dumb enough to mutilate themselves in the interest of fire.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:45 pm
Guys would do something like that huh? I once put 3 staples into my arm, also I once piled salt onto my hand and then smothered the salt with ice. WHAT A RUSH!
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 01:05 am
LMAO, I think I knew some guys in my high school who, if there was not pain, would probably set themselves on fire for fun. In fact, I think one of them actually figured out that if you cover your finger in lighter fluid it will burn painlessly for several seconds, and would actually do this every once in a while.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:05 pm
SWEET! I'm gonna have to try that lighter fluid trick, thanks! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:14 am
I once burnt a circle on my hand while trying to see how close I could get the car cigarette lighter to my hand without burning my self(while driving)
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2004 03:16 am
I once melted some sugar in a spoon over a candle and stuck my finger in it. That was fun. Smile
0 Replies