Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 10:19 am
Quote:
Japanese Scientist Says Vincent van Gogh Was Colorblind — But Does it Matter?
An essay by Kazunori Asada, a Japanese medical scientist and poet, has recently come to the attention of science blogs drawn to its argument that the famous painter wasn't so much an artistic revolutionary as he was visually impaired. Asada’s article was sparked by an experience in Hokkaido, Japan’s “Color Vision Experience Room,” an immersive simulator that makes it possible to perceive color the way people with different types of colorblindness might experience it.

For rest of the fascinating article:
http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/821805/japanese-scientist-says-vincent-van-gogh-was-colorblind-%E2%80%94-but-does-it-matter

The actual essay in question:
http://asada0.tumblr.com/post/11517603099/the-day-i-saw-van-goghs-genius-in-a-new-light
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,566 • Replies: 3
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 12:57 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't think he was colorblind, I think he had very bad myopia and possibly Meniere's Syndrome. Meniere's can cause terrible tinnitus, hearing loss and extreme dizziness with nausea. Probably too young to have cataracts, but not impossible.....but I don't think it was being color blind.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 01:07 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
This was a decent theory that emerged about three years ago, but it is now confirmed that Van Gogh was not colour-blind. Research into his development as an artist has in fact revealed that colour was one of his prime concerns.
Source
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 03:15 am
People have said that El Greco and Goya "must have been" severely astigmatic, and others have argued against that.
0 Replies