Newtonian mechanics had to be wrong

Thomas

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 11:34 am
@uvosky,
uvosky wrote:
What I am trying to show is that Newtonian mechanics is inconsistent when dealing with large masses ( massive bodies )

Well, you haven't. Why don't you try to describe describe an experiment that Newtonian physics fails at treating? A thought experiment is okay, too). The only thing that isn't okay is to rely on infinite forces, infinite durations of time, or any other stuff you couldn't possibly muster in the real physical world.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 12:05 pm
@uvosky,
Let me try to be even more clear.
uvosky wrote:
Consider this :-
By Newton's laws a particle of mass m in uniform circular motion experiences a centripetal force equal to m v^2 / r ( v is the uniform speed and r is the radius of the circle ) . Now start inflating the circle by
increasing it's radius more than any fixed value (namely make the radius tend to infinite value)

No problem so far. The mass point's trajectory approaches a straight line. The centripetal force approaches zero because the radius is infinite in the denominator, and m and v are finite constants in the numerator (because you assumed uniform rotation). All is well in the world of Newtonian physics.

uvosky wrote:
and now , for the particle , choose it such that the quantity mv^2 = momentum x velocity such that mv^2 ~ br (b being a nonzero finite quantity) ; [/quote]
But this is where you cause problems for yourself by assuming unphysical conditions. Without an infinite force or an infinite amount of time at your disposal, how are you going to increase mv^2 to an infinite value?
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 02:15 pm
@uvosky,
As I said it is clear you don't want a critique. And you still haven't shown how you can calculate a finite answer to a calcualtion containing a finit number and infinity, among many other things, which allows me to conclude that you have no real idea of what you are doing. It is sad to see a young person building negative behaviors regarding science and proof. I hope you eventually mature as we need the young to continue the advancement in science.

Perhaps Thomas can make you understand the errors in your presentation.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 02:23 pm
@Zarathustra,
http://star.psy.ohio-state.edu/coglab/Pictures/miracle.gif
Thomas

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 02:37 pm
@DrewDad,
Ha! I was thinking about that cartoon. You beat me to posting it.
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 02:27 pm
@DrewDad,
This may be my favorite cartoon of all time. I wish I had been able to put that sentiment into words in my posts as clearly as the cartoon does it!
0 Replies

David Smith

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:56 pm
@Thomas,
Newton's laws exist to describe physical reality. You made up an unphysical scenario and observed that Newton's laws don't describe it. How does that refute Newton's laws?

Like that! Nice reasoning :-)

Dave
0 Replies

thebeatles

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 09:51 am
@uvosky,
The fact is that Newtonian mechanics has limitation ......if they were wrong completely then a rocket wouldn't even go to space.....it doesn't work if the speeds or velocity of a body is very high ....or even if the mass is very low like atoms in a gas
0 Replies

Christopher Byrd

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2023 07:21 am
@uvosky,
The statement "Newtonian mechanics had to be wrong" is not entirely accurate. While Newtonian mechanics was an excellent theory for describing motion in many situations, it was later found to be incomplete at very high speeds or in the realm of very small particles, leading to the development of relativity and quantum mechanics.
0 Replies