Adam Sandler is not funny!

Turner 727

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:04 pm
I like Adam Sandler. His quieter roles, are IMO, his better ones. Not to say the other ones suck, just not always as good.

Jim Carrey. . . well, I love the guy. The Cable Guy was brilliant! Am I the only one who understands that movie for what it is? But I digress.

I don't like Sandler as much when he's overly sexual in his movies. Such as Billy Madison. That one I thought was a bit too immature. Happy Gilmore was great, and I watch The Wedding Singer and The Waterboy whenever I can. The only movie of his I don't really like is Billy Madison. The rest I can dig.

It could be worse. . . . Tommy Boy? Black Sheep? I'm sorry Chris Farley killed himself, but let's face it. Most SNL Alumni don't do to well outside the show. Some do, most don't.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:34 pm
I admit it. I loved Tommy Boy and Black Sheep. Farley was one of my favorites.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:37 pm
They were alright. . but Sandler is better.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:34 pm
Sorry. I thought Sandler sucked on SNL, too. They've had such greats...Chris Kattan made me hoot everytime he came on the screen!...but Sandler just put me to sleep.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 08:20 pm
Eva, I agree with you! He has always been just a goofy bozo. Maybe he was a little bit funnier when he was with David Spade and Chris Farley, but I never thought he was very funny really. He's a likeable guy in interviews and stuff, so maybe it's that charisma or something that comes through on screen and is mesmerizing all these nuts who seem to love him.

Naah, they probably just like fart jokes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:50 pm
Anyone who has/had a dog called Matzo Ball has to be a good guy.
And there's nothin' wrong with a good fart joke. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:32 pm
I don't get Sandler. So predictable, so unfunny. Another one that thinks grossness is real comedy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:39 pm
On Sandler, I've only watched, survived, a trailer, cringing in seat. No, I don't remember what movie. No way a minute more of my time ever.*

*Even if that was some sort of wry parody.
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 03:07 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Aw, hey, you are talking nasty about the greatest humour-meister who ever lived Rolling Eyes I'll tell you one thing though...I never really got Jim Carrey either, beyond an adolescent chuckle. However, Carrey thought he could be a dramatic actor (The Majestic), and he sucked worse at that. With Sandler, a movie like Punch Drunk Love shows that in the hands of the right director, he could indeed make that transition.

Couldn't have said it better.....
I LOVE sandler...
I dont' love Jim Carrey (cept for liar liar)
and Punch Drunk Love had me worried.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:00 pm
Eva wrote:
I agree, I have never found Adam Sandler funny either. "Moronic" is the word that comes to mind. I was bored out of my mind with his performance in "Anger Management" with Nicholson.

Jim Carrey usually irritates me, but he can be funny when he tones it down. I was actually quite impressed with his portrayal of Andy Kaufmann in "Man in the Moon."

I can not stand Sandler and Carrey has some hit or miss movies, esp. the one you mentioned.
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:50 pm
Sandler and Carrey are kind of like the Three Stooges. Either you like them, or you can't stand them. I have to admit that I like them. They're not going to tax your brain or leave you asking deep philosophical questions, and there is a place for that type of entertainment. They're just their for whoever wants to see them.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:47 pm
I kept wondering if Lorne Micheals was Sandler's uncle or something.
I can't understand how he keeps making movies. I know he's making money, but HOW?

He is incredibly not funny to me.

We tried David Spade's Dickie Roberts, and just ejected it after fifteen minutes. We hadn't even cracked a smile. Carrey just irritates me.

How are these people millionaires?
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:52 pm
One man's (or woman's) trash.....
0 Replies

Jacci

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 05:57 pm
Better than you think
I like Adam Sandler. I have no idea why. I hate low brow humor, I can't stand Jim Carrey (until recently. I thought it was only Man In The Moon that justified his existence, now Ill include Eternal Sunshine in that too, but for reasons I wont explain here).

I think I like Adam Sandler basically cos Im a girl. I think his characters are always sweet and adorable, even when theyre disgusting. That doesn't mean I like his films, for the most part, or his characters or even his acting skills, theres just something uniquely him that shines through and I dig on it. (AND I happen to think he's attractive).

Now the one PERFORMANCE of his I throughly enjoyed was Punch Drunk Love. I can name very few actors who have successfully made the transition from comic to serious actor, and I think Sandler is one of them, but for a different reason. Sandler didn't play a new character. He was the same character he's played in every other movie, but in this context it wasn't funny anymore, it was creepy. Black comedy VERY well done, I think.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:15 pm
Sandler does seem to do "brewing fury beneath milquetoast exterior" very well.
0 Replies

AmericanIcon

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:05 pm
Sofia wrote:
Sandler does seem to do "brewing fury beneath milquetoast exterior" very well.

neither do mods. Laughing
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:47 pm
I changed my mind about this the other day... After watching the stupidest movie of all time.. Punch Drunk Love... then they had this Sandler marathon thing and I watched several of them over again. I STILL love The Wedding Singer, but the type was set with Billy Madison and Waterboy...the same character over and over... Big Daddy was good ...That Little Nikki was probably on my top ten stupid list too. From there it just went ALL downhill... the rest is all crap.. so I wonder if I just have matured, or he is just really that bad, or a combo of both lol
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:52 pm
now 50 dates again
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:59 pm
Adam Sandler isn't funny to me at all. Billy Madison and Waterboy were torture to watch. I don't think Jim Carey is all that funny either...well, Bruce Almighty was pretty good. I don't think Bill Murray or Dan Ackroyd are funny either.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:00 pm
Bill Muray is really not good.
0 Replies