WHAT is free will?

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:44 pm
What do you mean they haven't answered what reality is, cicerone? Just curious for elaboration.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:46 pm
SCoates, You ask a fair question. However, trying to answer what "reality" is is one of the hardest topics to elabroate. You are in luck, because A2K currently has a topic on the subjectd of "Reality." Do an A2K Search for "Reality."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:49 pm
SCoates, Try this link. http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17752
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:51 pm
"WHAT IS FREE WILL?"

it means the lawyer forgot to bill you before you packed it in! Shocked
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:11 pm
But surely we must be able to define what free will is to ask questions like 'Do we have free will?'.

C.I. wrote ""Free will" is what some religions wants you to believe you have, but they still haven't answered what "reality" is. So free will without reality is meaningless."

Why is free will meaningless without reality? Do I have a freedom of thought , do I have the free will needed to think freely?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:17 pm
I think Free Will was a whale.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:53 pm
Not only a whale, he was a man.
And a bird; an eagle with silver wings;
and a woman, willing and free.
And a river, a hill, a mountaintop cloud,
without a doubt every morning.
And now.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:58 pm
truth
Looking back in time, determinism seems to be the case; looking forward to the future, free will seems to be the case. Both are illusions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:59 pm
Relative, What you think is free will has been programed for you by 1) your parents, 2) your environment, 3) your language, 4) your education, and 5) your religion. All of this have influenced the way you think and believe who you are.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:20 pm
Within a deterministic physical theory, is it impossible to formulate free will? Always the same result it is with determinism. Set the initial parameters, turn on the switch, and here goes the circus! Ka-boom! And here goes RElative, after all this time, the REflector is on him!
The past is therefore exactly the needed initial configuration to get to this moment, me going over the keys on my keyboard and all .. But wait .. we do not know the present, do we? We don't know the past.. But the better we know the present, the better we know the past.. and the future.
So there really is no productive time in determinism. Get a snapshot of now, and you can isolate one unknown variable, the time, from equations - you can calculate anything. The unchanging proportions - the equations of physics - describing all that.

NOT!

You see the problem is in this thing between my ears - and in every atom in the universe. We cannot predict future, cannot know the past.
A simple two-slit experiment will tell you as much.
Am I a program even if all are forbidden to ever know how does this program look like? I believe not.
I believe free will has something to do with time, very deeply, working inside these little loops that make all look like random, but isn't. Works in ways that are not programmable or predictable, but not random. Free will must be something that goes against entropy a bit - just adding the little extra push to the evolution, learning and all 'normal' processes.

That is what I believe. All of this influences who I am, I hope so.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 11:03 pm
"free will" is, as are all ideas, past, present, and future, an approximation.

there is no actual 'truth', but we use the concept;
there is not total 'honesty', but we use the concept;
there is no defining 'reality', but we use the concept;
there is no complete understanding of 'infinity', but we use the concept;

these things are not absolutes with fully definable meanings, but simply tools with which we clarify our thoughts, our dreams, our 'lives'.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 11:08 pm
BoGoWo, Very good description on our idea of "concepts." Even with our language and science skills, we are so limited in understanding this universe of ours - it's mind-boggling.
0 Replies

spectrumoflight

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 01:18 pm
In my opinion free will is judgement. It is a judgement taken by anyone thing to the limits of their own intelligence. For humans this is effected greatly by their spectrum of emotions, which are invoked by the cicumstances around them. In this way perhaps we are not entirley in control of any one of our emotions and therefore our free-will (infact a humans mind is just a by-product of the events of its life and the chain of circumstances that have surrounded them to make a reality).
However our minds, allow us to make choices and judgements upon our actions to a certain extent.
However the coscept of free will, can not in its entirety be fulfilled. As inorder to be 'free', it requires perfect and absolute FREEDOM. We can never be free from the reality that we occupy, or emotions, and the influence of other beings and circumstances. Therefore our minds are never free, or without influence, to make a judgement or choice.
Free-will, is not possible completley, and perhaps should be renamed simply 'will'. But the use of the word free, is just another annomoly of the human language; like perfection, or madness. And it only means free in as far as the term stretches in a world of borders.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 01:36 pm
spectrumoflight : welcome to the forum.

In response. I will just quote rufio from a post in this thread:

Quote:
..I don't think that free will depends on constantly being free to choose, if that makes any sense. For instance, if you want to take a metaphorical approach, if a man is walking down a path, and the path goes in only one direction, he is bound to that direction. But if he comes to a fork in the path, he is free to choose either fork.

I agree this is what is meant with free will regarding choices we have/don't have.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 07:06 pm
rufio stated:

Quote:
"For instance, if you want to take a metaphorical approach, if a man is walking down a path, and the path goes in only one direction, he is bound to that direction. But if he comes to a fork in the path, he is free to choose either fork. As long as he remains at the fork, he is in a state of freedom - and as soon as he chooses which path to take he is bound again. So being free is really being indecisive - which to me seems to go against the idea of free will which I conceive as being powered by the choices you make, not your inability to make them. Thus "free will" is not referring to a state of being free, but to the ability to bind yourself to whatever you choose."

This is an interesting observation.

I agree that the moment of indecision as to which "fork" or action to take does not demonstrate the existence of free will in the agent mentioned. This simply recalls the classic tale of Buridan's Ass, who caught equidistant between two piles of food, could not decide from which to partake, its indecision resulting in its death.

The case of Martin Luther's stand against the Roman Catholic Church may demonstrate something deeper and perhaps more important in our human ability to demonstrate "Free Will".
When it was demanded (under pain of dire consequences) that he repudiate his stated and published views as to man's ability to talk directly to God sans clerical intermediaries, Martin Luther refused, stating: "Here I stand, I can do no other".

This would imply that Luther's decision was no snap judgment but something that was mulled over and given a great deal of consideration over a long period of time. Such a long decision process could, conceivably, be subject to myriad affectations involving many "random" or even "quantum" fluctuations. Well perhaps, but it would seem such a long term formation of an opinion may point more towards the agent's control of the decision process then that of stray neutrinos building upon and resulting in such end results. Indeed, what we see in this instance may be self forming actions (SFAs) which are certainly deterministic but which have their basis in Luther's "striving will". Such will implies trying or endeavoring towards a specific end over a long period of time. This would speak more towards the "free will" of the agent doing the determining and not causation from stray nuclear particles or quantum effects. So we then see Luther, affected by his former thought processes, come to the determination that when push came to shove he could "...do no other".

Relative stated:

Quote:
"Free will must be something that goes against entropy a bit - just adding the little extra push to the evolution..."

Kind of like life itself. Thus, we see the chemical basis of self organization leading to self replicating molecules building into RNA and DNA. At some point organ systems being developed and such symbiosis manifested in living organisms. In turn, we see the development of intelligence as a serendipitous side effect. What could be more apparent than the possibility of such life systems containing decision making processes coupled with a "look ahead" ability further allowing perpetuation of the species? Such decision making ability made good use of the future modeling abilities contained in our minds.

In short,"Free Will" has evolved from intelligence just as intelligence evolved from life itself. "Intelligence", as Carl Sagan has said, "is a way for the Universe to know itself". Free will, perhaps, is a way for the Universe to change its own destiny.

JM
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 11:18 pm
You can't be neither free nor not free, JL. Either you have a choice, or you don't.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:24 am
rufio
Quote:
You can't be neither free nor not free, JL. Either you have a choice, or you don't.

JL? Is this a response to...Who? I merely express my ignorance. In addition it might be more towards to clarify that string of characters: "You can't be neither free nor not free" Logically, double negatives negate themselves.

Respectively,

JM
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:03 am
I don't know what free will is. But if its free I'll have some.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:33 pm
The idea of using the "fork in the road" to explain free will just goes to show that the choice was already established by those that 1) designed the road, and 2) made the road. The third choice was to drive off the road and pursue some 'unknown' destination might signify some free will - maybe not.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:51 pm
I think the forking road is more than one cuold wish for. Just imagine the 'really free' atoms in your brain exercisi g the 'off the road' freedom of choice!
0 Replies