How do I memorize a shakesperean Lan that i have to perform.

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:34 am
I have to memorize shakespear Othello lines, because i have to do a preformence in front of the class for Othello. I have to memorize 20 lines in shakespearean lan... i was wondering if there was any possible ways of doing so? i have a very good short term memory but i have a bad long term memory i pick up things quickly and i learn it fast but keeping it in my brain in my memory is really hard it just pops out same for math i learn something new fast i pick up on it but then i forget a day or two later just an example anyways of not forgeting? please....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,178 • Replies: 14
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 05:54 am
Othello is a play, not a novel.

Read the lines aloud, again and again, untill you can use the underlying meter to ring the language out as a song.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 06:49 am
It always helped me to write my lines out five or ten times (saying them aloud as I wrote them), and then start trying to commit them to memory. The combinatino of reading, writing, and speaking helps cement things in my brain.

Also very useful, if you've got somebody to help you out, to try and recite the speech before you really know it. Have the person sit with the book and cue you -- that is, tell you the next three or four words -- whenever you get stuck. In some parts of Europe, actors still learn their lines this way -- on their feet, with the stage manager (or, if they're more well-to-do, their own personal prompter) feeding them lines.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:07 am
It might help you to practice while pacing, turning for each new line. It worked for me with Shakespeare because of the meter.

Definitely say it out loud. Reading lines to yourself never works.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:12 am
It may also help if you really think about what the lines mean instead of just trying to memorize. If you practice them like you are having a real conversation it may be easier to picture yourself in the moment when it comes time to say them on stage.

Think of it this way - we all know words to many songs, but the ones that we really know are the songs that we find meaningful - when we associate them with a place, a person or a feeling. Some others we may hear so often that the chorus get stuck in our heads, but the rest is a bit fuzzy.

So, when practicing, hear what it is that you are really saying.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:40 am
Is it, perchance, the speech before he's going to kill Desdemona?
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:29 pm
what
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 11:39 pm
OK, we'll start from the beginning. Shakespeare wrote plays. One of them is about a moor (a negro) in the court of Venice, he's called Othello. The long and short of it is that he's targetted by very nasty person called Iago (Italian for James) who convinces him that his (Othello's wife) has been unfaithful. In a fit of rage, and talking for the entire episode, he strangles her. This is the end of Othello and his career.

The work of Shakespeare is to make this into a true tragedy. Othello is noble, brave and good, his marriage is true. The actions of Iago are then base and cruel. Lacking the up close camera-work of MTV the characters can only say what they feel and mean to make the story work. That is why the lines are so important, they convey to the audience the reasons for this action and the feelings of the participants.

The quickest way for you to get the 'vibe' would be to hire and watch the 1995 version of Othello, with Lawrence Fishburn in the lead. Especially the bits that you are expected to learn!! Good luck!
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 03:56 am
thank you for those tips thank you so much..
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:59 am
Tell us how it went, MisterE!
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:57 pm
well so far i remmamber 8 lines out of 20 so i am getting there i have 1 week left i think i got it. It sucked because i study 8 lines for 5 min i remmambered them perfectly and then about 1 hour later i forgot it sucks. Sad damn
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:43 pm
Keep at it - I still remember a Juliet speech that I learned for school in 1973! Once it's in your brain, it's hard to lose.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 12:36 am
true true thanks a lot mac
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:00 pm
i remembered shakespeare for a school thing too...i did it by reading lines like this (out loud):

Hi!

Hi!
How are you?

Hi!
How are you?
The weather is nice today.

you see how?

(lol btw sorry about the example, i cant think of any shakespeare to use!)
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:08 am
ohh heeh ok i will definitely try that thank you very much...
0 Replies