BELIEVE IT OR NOT, WE HAVE A WORD FOR THIS

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:01 pm
The Curiosity MSL that just landed on Mars will not be studying geology. There is a word for the study of the structure and substance of the Martian surface and crust, and that word is areology. As it happens, many years ago (30?) i won $20 on a bet in a bar by providing the "Final Jeopary" question to that answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,909 • Replies: 19
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:04 pm
@Setanta,
FYI the study of alien life is xenology (an awesome Scrabble word, just hook onto any letter for a bingo).

I hope there's some xenology in with the areology.
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:06 pm
@jespah,
I believe they're looking for evidence of water, which means the object of their areology may well be an investigation of xenology. Let's hope they don't air any xenophobia.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:09 pm
@jespah,
are they looking for evidence of xeriscaping?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:11 pm
It's definitely a xeric landscape.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:13 pm
Here's where I was introduced to the idea of Areology and Areoforming:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Red_mars.jpg

Cycloptichorn
Strauss

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:13 pm
@jespah,
Basic alien life would be exobiology.

Xenology would be "alien life and civilisation".

Maybe...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Great series . . . we discussed this before. I don't recall if i told you, but i found those books just sitting out on the sidewalk, when people leave boxes of books out for whoever wants them.
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:16 pm
By the way, the Final Jeopardy question was something like: "This study is called areology." I had never heard the word before, but it was easy enough to guess. Thirty years ago, making a guess on a $20 bet was risking a substantial sum, but i was cocky.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:20 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Great series . . . we discussed this before. I don't recall if i told you, but i found those books just sitting out on the sidewalk, when people leave boxes of books out for whoever wants them.

Cool find! I paid full price for them, back when I still paid for physical media. I also really enjoyed his Years of Rice and Salt.

Cycloptichorn
Strauss

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:20 pm
@Setanta,
And here I was thinking areology had something to do with a circular area of darker skin...
Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:23 pm
@Strauss,
Up, up . . . get your mind above the bust . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I also really enjoyed his Years of Rice and Salt.

I've not ever heard of that, i'll have to check it out. I haven't kept up with Science Fiction/Science Fantasy over the last few decades.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:35 pm
@Setanta,
Here's my top recommendation for sci-fi right now:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a4/Ready_Player_One_cover.jpg/220px-Ready_Player_One_cover.jpg

Super fun book, I really, really enjoyed it. I was actually sad when the book was over.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:03 pm
One of the blurbs on the news last night was that back here on Earth, scientists will attempt to genetically modify a bacterium that can thrive in the Martian environment/atmosphere. Once that bacterium starts to mutate the possibilities are endless; that is if one believes in evolution!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:37 pm
@Setanta,
. AGI and all international geologic references use the terms "planetary geology" or even "Martian geology" to define the crustal dynamics "geophysics" "geochemistry" etc. MSL will be studying planetary geology, dont try to change what is already established.

If jeopardy meant this anwer to mean the actual STUDY of the surface , materials, structures, dynamics etc. of the planet, they would have been wrong. We dont use a made up prefix like areo, to precede areophysics or areochemistry, itd never be approved by the ed committees on publication.

(cf Glossary of Geology 6th ed) "Planetary geology"

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:49 pm
@farmerman,
The word Areology is a neologism.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:54 pm
@Setanta,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_Mars
Quote:
The neologism, areology, from the Greek word Arēs (Mars), as a synonym for Mars' geology sometimes appears in the popular media and works of science fiction (e.g., Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars trilogy),[2] but the term is rarely, if ever, used by professional geologists and planetary scientists.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:55 pm
From what I've seen, I believe the word we have for this is 'desert'.
What a big surprise!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 01:46 am
I already knew a lot of you guys have no sense of fun. You didn't need to prove it to me.
0 Replies