Do these people bear any responsibility for the recent mass killing in the USA?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
those people who love their guns more than they love the rest of all of you.

Please advise on how you came to know of their loves. I dont see any captions to that effect with words attributed to these people. Do you practice ESP Joe?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:35 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
This is a man who, six weeks before the shootings, was adjudged by a psychiatrist to be in a semi-psychotic state. Are you telling me that no one else in the gun owning community had any inkling of his unbalance? No one to say "Hey, before he hurts himself or others, something must be done."

There's your answer ... the responsibility lies within the mental health community for failing to stop this wackaloon.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:39 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
The question I'm asking here, as some of you have alluded, is, even though there isn't a direct connection between the happy bunch of gun owners pictured above and the guy who thought he was the JOKER, there is, I think, an indirect connection for which they must accept some of the responsibility.
Well yes, I think that they'd have to accept some of the responsibility if they advocated putting guns in the hands of deluded and violently insane people. But I don't know that's true - just because they believe that THEY have the right to own these firearms. As I said, I DO think there should be more stringent gun laws, including more thorough background checks on people who want to own guns. I mean I had to have an enhanced CRB (criminal records bureau) check, be fingerprinted and have a psychological evaluation including IQ test to get my first job working with children. It took all of one day for them to get the data from me to determine that I'd never committed a criminal offense AND did not display any tendency toward violence or criminality- it wasn't stressful at all or a huge inconvenience to me (as I had nothing to hide-I guess it would have been stressful if I had been pretending to be something I wasn't). Yes, I DID find it worrisome that James Holmes was able to get that much ammunition over the INTERNET for goodness sakes! I also found it very perplexing and distressing that he was apparently under psychiatric care when he was able to walk into a gun shop or gun show and buy these weapons. That's what I MEAN! There should be more stringent background checks. But I don't think my brother, who owns a hunting rifle and hunts bears any responsibility for what these mass murderers do.
Quote:
For generations, Americans ignored drunk driving as something that happened, no big deal, a tragedy to be sure, if the drunk drove head-on into the vacationing family of five but nothing connected to the vast numbers of people who 1) drove cars and behaved responsibly and 2) really hoped that the drunk drivers would never affect their freedom to drive (after drinking or otherwise) .
Well, to drive you have to have a license and take a test, don't you? And I'm sorry but I do believe that unless I'm standing there and watching someone drink til they're drunk and then get into a car, I CAN'T be responsible for their choice to drive drunk, because I'm not their to DO anything about it, and it SHOULDN'T affect my freedom to drive drunk.
Quote:
It wasn't until a national campaign against drunk driving was begun in the 1970's that this society began to say "Yes, I see. If I know my friend is drunk, it's my responsibility to take his keys away and get him (and the rest of society) home safe.
Well, I don't know anything about what used to happen, because I didn't begin to drive until the late 70's. But I know that I always knew that if my friend was driving drunk, or swimming drunk, or about to handle a baby drunk or do anything drunk, it was my responsibility to try to dissuade him or her from that decision and behavior that might result in harm to him/her and/or anyone else. And I think anyone who personally knows of someone who is unhinged and knows that that person is in possession of and carrying firearms probably would, for their own safety actually, take some action to removed the firearms from that person's possession. This is a true story. When I lived in Pittsfield, Maine - sleepy little small town- peaceful - my back yard abutted the back yard of a couple who had two children and got divorced because Mom found out Dad was compulsively gambling. The little boy was the Mom's son by her first marriage, so only the little girl had weekend visits with the Dad - who was her biological father. Mom moved in with another guy. Dad took the little girl, drove over to the Mom's house, parked his car across her drive so she wouldn't be able to drive out to work the next morning and shot Georgeanne and himself. Mom came out to find them on her way to work the next morning. When my other neighbor came to tell me what had happened, she asked, 'Did you hear what John did?' When she told me, I thought she was talking about ANOTHER John, who also had a little girl and was divorced. I could have pictured that John doing it before I could picture this John doing it. At the time, I told my husband, 'If John had walked up to my door with a rifle in his hand, I'd have assumed he was going hunting and invited him in and offered him tea and cake before he left. If you've ever lived in Maine, you'd know, you see people all the time walking with guns over their shoulders and heading into the woods. Okay, so am I responsible for not making the connect before he killed himself and his daughter even though I had NO INFORMATION about what was really going on in this guy's head?
Quote:
Where does the responsibility for the Aurora Movie Theater shootings begin? This is a man who, six weeks before the shootings, was adjudged by a psychiatrist to be in a semi-psychotic state. Are you telling me that no one else in the gun owning community had any inkling of his unbalance? No one to say "Hey, before he hurts himself or others, something must be done."
I don't know if anyone in the gun owning community had any inkling of his unbalance. The frustrating and ultimately tragic aspect of this to me, is that the people in the gun community and the people in the psychiatric care community seem to have had no mechanism to share the information that would have kept these dangerous weapons out of this troubled, deluded, violent and mentally ill person's hands. THAT'S where I think we are failing and need to make changes. And whoever votes against ammending THAT failure and/lack needs to feel at least a little complicit in putting others in danger. But I don't know if these people on the porch would do that or not. I don't even know if they belong to the NRA. Maybe they're for banning assault weapons- I don't know enough about guns to recognize whether any of them is holding one (an assault rifle) or not.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:45 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
The question I'm asking here, as some of you have alluded, is,
even though there isn't a direct connection between the happy
bunch of gun owners pictured above and the guy who thought
he was the JOKER, there is, I think, an indirect connection
for which they must accept some of the responsibility.
What do u mean??
HOW can anyone do that, other than the culprit himself
(unless he had active accomplices) ?
Your question is unintelligible.

WHAT IS the "indirect connection" ?

Joe Nation wrote:
For generations, Americans ignored drunk driving as something that happened,
no big deal, a tragedy to be sure, if the drunk drove head-on into
the vacationing family of five but nothing connected to the vast numbers of people
who 1) drove cars and behaved responsibly and
2) really hoped that the drunk drivers would never affect their
freedom to drive (after drinking or otherwise) .

It wasn't until a national campaign against drunk driving was begun in the 1970's
that this society began to say "Yes, I see. If I know my friend is drunk,
it's my responsibility to take his keys away and get him (and the rest of society) home safe.
That 's crazy; no one has any such "responsibility"
(with the possible exception of bartenders, regarding their service).
If anyone had such "responsibility" then he coud be held to account,
if he failed to execute it.

No one has authority to rob a man of his car keys.
Anyone might get hurt (including bystanders), if he tried to rob a drunk of his keys.

Joe Nation wrote:
Where does the responsibility for the Aurora Movie Theater shootings begin?
It begins n ends with the murderer.

Joe Nation wrote:
This is a man who, six weeks before the shootings, was adjudged
by a psychiatrist to be in a semi-psychotic state. Are you telling me
that no one else in the gun owning community had any inkling
of his unbalance?
We don 't know what thay knew; at least, I don't.
Assuming that he (or she) is mentally sick;
does that fact void his or her right of self defense
from robbers, rapists, or packs of dogs ??
Every hear of "equal protection of the laws" ?
Does the filosofy or suspicions of Joe Nation require
that each mentally sick woman must put up with whatever number of rapes come her way??

Joe Nation wrote:
No one to say "Hey, before he hurts himself
or others, something must be done."
WHAT must be done??
Violate his or her rights under the Supreme Law of the Land ???
He can SAY whatever he wants,
as long as he leaves everyone alone.

Joe Nation wrote:
I would argue that the current crop of gun owners are cowards [????]
about coming forward, personally or legally, to confront those who
should not have guns in their possession.
If a man is acting irrationally,
then maybe he is fit to be confined to a mental hospital, under judicial process.
Its not an issue of bravery
(unless someone tries to rob him of his guns or of any of his property).

Joe Nation wrote:
Adian: I've known many people who would argue
that ANY person should be allowed to have weapons,
"ALLOWED"??????
Like he is "allowed" to have his copy of Marx's Das Capital ?

Collectivists, in the expression of their authoritarianism,
deny the existence of a right of self-defense, except by ineffective means.
It is their belief that if the wolves are eating the sheep,
the teeth should be pulled from the mouths of the sheep

Joe Nation wrote:
even automatic weapons, unless and UNTIL
they use them against another human being.
Better expressed: no one is authorized to rob a man
of his or her guns before he DOES something rong.
His Constitutional Rights r immune from the whims of his nabors.

Joe Nation wrote:
That always seems to me to be a bit too late,
we should ask former Member of Congress Giffords.
That is the condition of the gun culture of the USA:
we must hold onto our guns and if some bad things happen, so what, we have still managed to hold onto our guns.
Yeah; I can live with that.
Prudence and decency require that future victims
be sufficiently well armed in their own defense.

Joe Nation wrote:
That's essentially the position of the NRA:
unless someone acts illegally with a weapon in hand,
that person has the right to own and hold that weapon.
OF COURSE!
That 's the same as his right to vote
or to stay home from Church, if he wants to.

Joe Nation wrote:
so, to continue our search: we got the killer>>>connected to the white supremacist group>>>>
Who's NEXT?
Do u wish to (legally) disarm the blacks,
on the ground of their having much higher rates of violent crime,
both as perpetrators & as victims ??
( as if thay 'd put up with being disarmed )

Joe Nation wrote:
>>>who else knew that this bunch of wackos had major fire power and intended,
or said they intended, to use it against their enemies?
And who knew those people knew?

Follow through the folds of the gun community of America,
and, sooner or later, you will end up on the front porch
of those people who love their guns more than they love the rest of all of you.
I love my property more than I love most
other people, including my emergency equipment
and all of my Constitutional freedom. I refuse to relinquish it
or to compromize it.

Joe Nation wrote:
Joe(they have no inclination to self-police)Nation
nor any Constitutional authority to do so

David
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:47 pm
@aidan,
Sorry for the long blocks of text. For some reason this thing smashed all my sentences together and won't let me edit - which is very frustrating because I also used 'their' when I meant 'there' and I wanted to insert a few commas.

Why is this thing not letting me edit- and why is it ignoring tabs and line spaces? Anyone know?
aidan

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:56 pm
@aidan,
I also would have edited the part to say that it shouldn't affect my freedom to drive drunk...I meant to simply say, 'It shouldn't affect my freedom to drive.'

I seriously DO NOT believe I should have the freedom to drive drunk and you couldn't pay me to drive drunk -or own a gun for that matter.

Aha - I can edit on this post - but it's too late for the other post.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:59 pm
@aidan,
an a couple of whack jobs using guns to shoot up buildings should not void your right to own a gun.....nor should a band member shooting up void the rest of the bands right to make its music

Quote:

“If my art form is responsible for this shooting, how come no other art form is responsible in all of the other shootings?” asks Byron Calvert, a white power music producer and supporter. “The niggers are always rapping about killing white people, but no one complains about that.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/wade-michael-page-was-steeped-in-neo-nazi-hate-music-movement/2012/08/07/b879451e-dfe8-11e1-a19c-fcfa365396c8_story_1.html
aidan

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 12:20 am
@hawkeye10,
So mainstream rap artists rap about killing white people?

I mean I know alot of the lyrics denigrate women (in general, not race-specific) but I'm sorry, and I might be wrong, but I actually do listen to quite alot of rap and I can't say I've ever heard an abundance of lyrics that specifically advocate genocide against white people.

Rap is not specifically a 'hate' genre- they rap about all sorts of aspects of their life experience where as this white power ****- I won't call it music- talks about one thing - hatred of anyone who's not like them and violence.

Let's put it this way - my son listens to rap (as do I, actually) and if he came to me and said he wanted to buy a hunting rifle to hunt with his uncle, I wouldn't give it a second thought, except to make sure he took a course in gun safety.

But if he were white and listened to this white power **** and said he wanted to buy a hunting rifle to go hunting with his uncle, I'd do everything in my power to keep that gun out of his hands at any cost to me.
I'm sorry, but you can't equate someone listening to rap and enjoying stories and sounds from the black, urban experience to neo-nazi and skinhead hate propaganda delivered in musical form.

And if you do, you're equating owning a gun to go hunting to owning a gun to commit mass murder.

The mindset is totally different.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:28 am
@aidan,
Joe Nation wrote:
The question I'm asking here, as some of you have alluded, is, even though there isn't a direct connection between the happy bunch of gun owners pictured above and the guy who thought he was the JOKER, there is, I think, an indirect connection for which they must accept some of the responsibility.
aidan wrote:
Well yes, I think that they'd have to accept some of the responsibility
if they advocated [We can 't speak our minds any more ????] putting guns in the hands
of deluded and violently insane people.
That is not the question that Joe raised.
Granted that if someone declared homicidal intentions
and if thereafter, with that knowledge, u GAVE him guns,
u might be actively complicit, but Joe contemplated a state of affairs
wherein u only became aware that someone u deemed nuts
had already armed himself
. Joe's post tacitly implied
that he shud be robbed of his guns. That is a different question.

aidan wrote:
But I don't know that's true - just because they believe that THEY have the right to own these firearms.
Yeah, that at the foundation of this republic, as a condition of its existence,
government was deprived of any jurisdiction over a citizen's possession of guns
and the Constitution explicitly requires "equal protection of the laws".

aidan wrote:
As I said, I DO think there should be more stringent gun laws,
including more thorough background checks on people who want to own guns.
In other words, u advocate that
the Constitution be amended to allow DISCRIMINATION so that only SOME people
will have the right to defend their lives from brutal violence; right ?

aidan wrote:
I mean I had to have an enhanced CRB (criminal records bureau) check,
be fingerprinted and have a psychological evaluation including IQ test
to get my first job working with children.
Does the Bill of Rights protect your right to work with children ?

aidan wrote:
It took all of one day for them to get the data from me to determine that I'd never committed a criminal offense AND did not display any tendency toward violence or criminality- it wasn't stressful at all or a huge inconvenience to me (as I had nothing to hide-I guess it would have been stressful if I had been pretending to be something I wasn't). Yes, I DID find it worrisome that James Holmes was able to get that much ammunition over the INTERNET for goodness sakes!
I probably shud get more ammo.

aidan wrote:
I also found it very perplexing and distressing that he was apparently under psychiatric care when he was able to walk into a gun shop or gun show and buy these weapons. That's what I MEAN!
OK, so in your filosofy, if someone wants to buy weapons,
THEN, he shud stay far away from psychiatric care; right ??

aidan wrote:
There should be more stringent background checks.
Presumably, u mean AFTER the Constitutional right
of "equal protection of the laws" has been repealed, right ??

aidan wrote:
But I don't think my brother, who owns a hunting rifle and hunts bears
any responsibility for what these mass murderers do.
Well, the bears whom he hunts might resent it; yes ??

Joe Nation wrote:
For generations, Americans ignored drunk driving as something that happened, no big deal, a tragedy to be sure, if the drunk drove head-on into the vacationing family of five but nothing connected to the vast numbers of people who 1) drove cars and behaved responsibly and 2) really hoped that the drunk drivers would never affect their freedom to drive (after drinking or otherwise) .
aidan wrote:
Well, to drive you have to have a license and take a test, don't you?
Yes u DON 'T; e.g., my dead friend Neil said that he began driving when he was 14,
during the Depression. The car worked so well WITHOUT a license
that he forgot about getting one until he was about 25.
He had discovered that he did not need one.

aidan wrote:
And I'm sorry but I do believe that unless I'm standing there and watching someone drink til they're drunk and then get into a car, I CAN'T be responsible for their choice to drive drunk, because I'm not their to DO anything about it, and it SHOULDN'T affect my freedom to drive drunk.
I respect your freedom to do so,
as long as I 'm not in the car.

Joe Nation wrote:
It wasn't until a national campaign against drunk driving was begun in the 1970's that this society began to say "Yes, I see. If I know my friend is drunk, it's my responsibility to take his keys away and get him (and the rest of society) home safe.
aidan wrote:
Well, I don't know anything about what used to happen, because I didn't begin to drive until the late 70's. But I know that I always knew that if my friend was driving drunk, or swimming drunk, or about to handle a baby drunk or do anything drunk, it was my responsibility [ HOW did u acquire that responsibility??? ] to try to dissuade him or her from that decision and behavior that might result in harm to him/her and/or anyone else. And I think anyone who personally knows of someone who is unhinged and knows that that person is in possession of and carrying firearms probably would, for their own safety actually, take some action to removed the firearms from that person's possession.
That sounds like robbery to me, Rebecca.
If he were drunk, woud u steal his car????

aidan wrote:
This is a true story. When I lived in Pittsfield, Maine - sleepy little small town- peaceful - my back yard abutted the back yard of a couple who had two children and got divorced because Mom found out Dad was compulsively gambling. The little boy was the Mom's son by her first marriage, so only the little girl had weekend visits with the Dad - who was her biological father. Mom moved in with another guy. Dad took the little girl, drove over to the Mom's house, parked his car across her drive so she wouldn't be able to drive out to work the next morning and shot Georgeanne and himself. Mom came out to find them on her way to work the next morning. When my other neighbor came to tell me what had happened, she asked, 'Did you hear what John did?' When she told me, I thought she was talking about ANOTHER John, who also had a little girl and was divorced. I could have pictured that John doing it before I could picture this John doing it. At the time, I told my husband, 'If John had walked up to my door with a rifle in his hand, I'd have assumed he was going hunting and invited him in and offered him tea and cake before he left. If you've ever lived in Maine, you'd know, you see people all the time walking with guns over their shoulders and heading into the woods. Okay, so am I responsible for not making the connect before he killed himself and his daughter even though I had NO INFORMATION about what was really going on in this guy's head?
I don 't see how that can BE.

Joe Nation wrote:
This is a man who, six weeks before the shootings,
was adjudged by a psychiatrist to be in a semi-psychotic state.
Is Colorado a semi-psychotic state ??

Joe Nation wrote:
Are you telling me that no one else in the gun owning community had any inkling of his unbalance?
No one to say "Hey, before he hurts himself or others, something must be done."
aidan wrote:
I don't know if anyone in the gun owning community had any inkling of his unbalance.
Is there a COMMUNITY of gun owners???

aidan wrote:
The frustrating and ultimately tragic aspect of this to me,
is that the people in the gun community and the people
in the psychiatric care community seem to have had no mechanism
to share the information that would have kept these dangerous
weapons out of this troubled, deluded, violent and mentally ill person's hands.
The same way that marijuana and heroin
have been kept out of everyone 's hands (being illegal) ????
With EQUAL success????

aidan wrote:
THAT'S where I think we are failing and need to make changes.
And whoever votes against ammending THAT failure and/lack needs
to feel at least a little complicit in putting others in danger.
MY needs r oxygen, water, food, sleep, guns and fonetic spelling.
I have no need to feel complicit.

aidan wrote:
But I don't know if these people on the porch would do that or not. I don't even know if they belong to the NRA. Maybe they're for banning assault weapons- I don't know enough about guns to recognize whether any of them is holding one (an assault rifle) or not.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:35 am
@aidan,
So in your mind singing a white power political song is on par with the killing of humans on the scale of evil......interesting.

I would like to protect all free speech, even of those who project hate. Didn't we used to have Nazi death camp surviving Jews as lawyers for the KKK when the government refused their right to have a parade? Now that was righteous, that was the America that I could be proud of.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:54 am
On a broader note this concept of the government trying to protect all it charges by removing the tools of evil has gotten idiotic. The scheme is such a transparent ploy for the further powering up the police state that the sanity of its supporters must be questioned. The alleged mission is a fraud, for when nothing else is available stones will be used to crush skulls....one does not prevent evil by removing tools but by rather working with the minds which are inside of those skulls.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:01 am
@Joe Nation,
This is what happens when people are disarmed, Joe:

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5ZuXcDWCIeuQU9wO9Q0tsAcevaOluR8svGwnSTjV6R-Cfjkzn
aidan

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
So in your mind singing a white power political song is on par with the killing of humans on the scale of evil......interesting

No, I didn't say that. I said in my mind singing a white power political song is on par with, and in fact, primarily a method to incite those so inclined to more heated hatred and anger against minorities and often leads to these people committing violence and affray against non-whites.

I don't think the SOLE purpose of rap music is to incite violence and affray against white people whereas I do think the SOLE purpose of neo-nazi ad skinhead propaganda delivered via what these people call 'music' is to incite hatred, violence and affray against minorities.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-5071548
aidan

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David - put very simply: I do not think it is wise to allow mentally ill people to access dangerous weapons, just as yes, I DO think it is my responsibility to try to intervene if I see someone who's drunk about to operate a vehicle.

That may not mean stealing his or her keys, but it would mean alerting the authorities to impending danger or disaster that I can see may unfold before my very eyes.

We differ on what we deem the extent of our personal responsibility as good citizens apparently.

But again, because I DO believe in personal responsibility, I can not deem people who have never picked up a gun to hurt another either purposefully or not purposefully, to be guilty or responsible for mass killings in the US.

Just as although I have a piano, I'm not guilty or responsible for those who mangle Chopin.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 03:12 am
@aidan,
Are you aware that Putin has the three members of Pussy Riot in his jail on claims that they intended to incite violence? Dictators and police states use that as their go to excuse to jail and kill those that they don't like.

You might take more care with my freedom to voice an opinion even is you don't care about yours.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 08:11 am
This has been a good conversation so far.
So far though, a total avoidance of making any connection between what seems to me to be parts of the same set. I'll say it again :
Quote:
I would argue that the current crop of gun owners are cowards about coming forward, personally or legally, to confront those who should not have guns in their possession.

wmwcjr says : Well ...maybe nobody knew. yeah, nobody. Meh. Sorry, I don't buy it.

Tico says:
Quote:
the responsibility lies within the mental health community for failing to stop this wackaloon.
Interesting. The gun community supports the culture of open and free gun ownership for everybody, then Whoops, it's not them that has any skin in the game when things go bad, it's the tax-supported mental health folks not doing their job.
Maybe we should raise taxes on ammuntion sales specifcially ear-marked for the local mental health clinic.
Or anytime there is a mass shooting, every gunowner for ten square miles has to pay $100.00 per gun times the number of fatalities.
Maybe then, gun owners would start to pay attention to who the heck has lethal weapons.

This is the funniest post:
Quote:
Quote:
Joe Nation wrote:
This is a man who, six weeks before the shootings,
was adjudged by a psychiatrist to be in a semi-psychotic state.

Omsigdavid wrote:
Quote:
Is Colorado a semi-psychotic state ??

Aidan (sorry for the previous mis-spelling) asked:
Quote:
Who have you heard say that anyone has the right to use a gun to kill people-
(which is what a 'psycho' with a gun) would implicitely do?

You mean besides David?
I've known plenty of Americans who believe it's perfectly within anyone's rights to carry a semi-automatic pistol and use it lethally even in circumstances which, even to a slightly pudgy senior citizen like me, would find barely threatening.
When they do shoot someone, the gun community is either silent or seeks to find some slim reason why the weapon needed to be used.
The gun community ought to be outraged that one of their members acted so irresponsibly.
They are not.
They are silent and I think it's through that silence that the gun community as a whole licenses the mis-use, the over-use, of guns as permissible. I was going to say that they find such use regrettable, but they don't ever even say that.

They could call 1-866-SPEAK-UP .
Did you know there's an anonymous hot-line to report gun threats?

Joe(neither did I)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 09:03 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
David - put very simply:
I do not think it is wise to allow mentally ill people to access dangerous weapons,
OK: u r supporting the (implied) notion that this prohibition is POSSIBLE to execute,
because of the obsessive-compulsive impetus of the mentally ill people to obay the law????
U assert (do u ??) that homicidal maniacs and depraved rapists
cannot resist their inexorable lust to obsequiously obay gun control laws?????
[ I find that hard to believe. ]

U r confident ( r u ?? ) that blackmarket purchasing of weapons,
or MAKING them, as was done by hand, many centuries before
electric tools were invented, will be EQUALLY impossible
as acquiring marijuana or heroin, by the mentally impaired????

Yes ?

aidan wrote:
just as yes, I DO think it is my responsibility
to try to intervene if I see someone who's drunk about to operate a vehicle.
Being RESPONSIBLE means being vulnerable to be held TO RESPOND
in default that responsibility; e.g., if u fail to comply with your contractual duties,
u can be held responsible for pecuniary damages.
( Sometimes, liquidated damages r set forth in the contract itself,
to abide the event of default. )
HOW do u contemplate that u can be responsible
for someone else 's drunken driving (if u don 't feed him the booze or lend him your car) ??
Rebecca: I LOVE your libertarian comment qua the piano.
I gave u a thums up for it.

aidan wrote:
That may not mean stealing his or her keys,
but it would mean alerting the authorities to impending danger
or disaster that I can see may unfold before my very eyes.
I can see where that might be possible,
if u r willing to accept the chance of his (actively or passively) retaliating
based on his perception of disloyalty, maybe.

aidan wrote:
We differ on what we deem the extent of our personal responsibility as good citizens apparently.
To whom do u owe your best LOYALTY??
Do u owe it to your friend, or to a government ???
I remember the case of Sukrete Gable, who ratted out her mom,
Hortence, a very well known career Justice of the Supreme Court of NY,
concerning some judicial scandal. (THERE is a lesson qua the wisdom of trusting anyone; risky.)

aidan wrote:
But again, because I DO believe in personal responsibility,
I can not deem people who have never picked up a gun to hurt another
either purposefully or not purposefully, to be guilty or responsible for mass killings in the US.

Just as although I have a piano, I'm not guilty or responsible for those who mangle Chopin.
SO STIPULATED!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 09:28 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
This is what happens when people are disarmed, Joe:

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5ZuXcDWCIeuQU9wO9Q0tsAcevaOluR8svGwnSTjV6R-Cfjkzn
I think it was 3 days (or maybe 2) before Krystalnacht
that the President of the Berlin Police Dept. announced that
disarming of the Jews of Berlin had been completed.

David
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 10:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Where, in any of this whole discussion, did anyone mention dis-arming everyone?

Joe(don't be pathetic or sympathetic to G-snake. )Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 11:47 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
This has been a good conversation so far.
I LOVE it; thank u for it.

Joe Nation wrote:
So far though, a total avoidance of making any connection
between what seems to me to be parts of the same set.
The reason for that
is that its IMPOSSIBLE to connect with what does not exist (with all respect).
Glue will not stick to it; forget about applying Scotch Tape to mt nothingness.
U can 't even shake hands with it.

Joe Nation wrote:
I'll say it again :
I would argue that the current crop of gun owners are cowards about coming forward,
personally or legally, to confront those who should not have guns in their possession.
It has NOTHING to do with bravery.
It has to do with minding our own business.

Tico says:
Quote:
the responsibility lies within the mental health community for failing to stop this wackaloon.
Joe Nation wrote:
Interesting. The gun community supports the culture of open and free gun ownership for everybody,
Yes; it is simply an acknowledgement of historical reality:
that as a condition of its existence,
government was EXPLICITLY deprived of any jurisdiction of a citizen's possession of guns.
In D.C. v. HELLER 554 US 290; 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008),
the US Supreme Court was most deftly adroit
in recognizing & adopting the reasoning of the Supreme Court of Georgia in 1846.

The USSC says the following:

In Nunn v. State, 1 Ga. 243, 251 (1846), the Georgia Supreme Court
construed the Second Amendment as
protecting the “natural right of self-defence” and therefore
struck down a ban on carrying pistols openly.

Its opinion perfectly captured the way in which the operative clause
[i.e.: "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"]
of the Second Amendment furthers the purpose announced in
the prefatory clause, [i.e., the militia clause]
in continuity with the English right:

The right of the whole people,
old and young, men, women and boys
, and not militia only,
to keep and bear arms of every description,
and not such merely as are used by the militia,
shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon,
in the smallest degree
;
and all this for the important end to be attained:
the rearing up and qualifying a well-regulated militia,
so vitally necessary to the security of a free State.

Our opinion is, that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant
to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right
originally belonging to our forefathers,
trampled under foot by Charles I. and his two wicked
sons and successors, re-established by the revolution
of 1688, conveyed to this land of liberty by the colonists,
and finally incorporated conspicuously in our own Magna Charta!”
[All emphasis has been lovingly added by David.]

The Authors of the Bill of Rights knew that it was possible
that future Americans 'd need to overthrow American tyrants,
as thay had just finished doing with an English tyrant.
Thay wanted to be sure that ultimate physical power
and sovereignty remained in the hands of the citizens not
of their low-life employee, government.
As ice is water, the right to bear arms IS
the absence of jurisdiction to interfere therewith.

Additionally, there were NO police in the USA.
Everyone was expected to defend himself. The Authors knew that.
In some colonies, it was against the law to go to Church in an unarmed condition; irresponsible.
Thay must have been losing too many Christians on the way to Church.

Joe Nation wrote:
then Whoops, it's not them that has any skin in the game when things go bad,
it's the tax-supported mental health folks not doing their job.
Yea; we have as much right to keep guns in our hands as Bibles or the Wall Street Journal,
with NO explanations owed to anyone.
However: government CAN exercize jurisdiction over conspicuously dangerous MEN, not over their equipment.

Joe Nation wrote:
Maybe we should raise taxes on ammuntion sales
specifcially ear-marked for the local mental health clinic.
Constitutional rights remain IMMUNE from taxation.

Joe Nation wrote:
Or anytime there is a mass shooting, every gunowner for ten square miles
has to pay $100.00 per gun times the number of fatalities.
That makes no sense; it is the antithesis of logic,
as well as being blatantly unConstitutional. If u wanna change
the basic relationship between government and its creators,
the citizens, then u must succeed in enacting a Consitutional amendment.
We freedom lovers will fight u every step of the way.
We will win; u will lose. Freedom will prevail (continually).

Joe Nation wrote:
Maybe then, gun owners would start to pay attention to who the heck has lethal weapons.
That is none of our business; it remains a purely private, personal matter.

Joe Nation wrote:
Aidan (sorry for the previous mis-spelling) asked:
Aidan wrote:
Who have you heard say that anyone has the right to use a gun to kill people-
(which is what a 'psycho' with a gun) would implicitely do?

Joe Nation wrote:
You mean besides David?
A lot depends on what your target is DOING
when u open up on him.

Joe Nation wrote:
I've known plenty of Americans who believe it's perfectly within anyone's rights to carry a semi-automatic pistol and use it lethally even in circumstances which, even to a slightly pudgy senior citizen like me, would find barely threatening.
Humor aside: defensive gunnery is appropriate only when
the gunner is fighting back against a predatory attack of significant violence.

One shud not discharge his weapon promiscuously.

Joe Nation wrote:
When they do shoot someone, the gun community is either silent
or seeks to find some slim reason why the weapon needed to be used.
OF COURSE, we r silent, unless we find something we wanna say.
Its the same as the car owning community,
when we hear of a ghastly collision; i.e., that is not my problem.
I refuse to organize a lynch mob to chase negligent drivers.
I will mind my own business.

Joe Nation wrote:
The gun community ought to be outraged that one of their members acted so irresponsibly.
No. That idea is nonsense.
According to Ted Kennedy, some years ago, there r 8O,OOO,OOO gun owners in America.
I 'm sure that there r MORE now.
Gun sales have skyrocketed, with huge numbers of the ladies joining us freedom lovers.
Of those many millions, only the tiniest little fraction thereof, far less than 1%, has been criminally violent.
Criminally violent people cannot and do not impair the unlimited
defensive rights of future possible victims who choose to be prepared for any trouble.

That 's like if someone voted for obama,
that does NOT compromize MY right to vote because of his perversity.

Joe Nation wrote:
They are not.
They are silent and I think it's through that silence
that the gun community as a whole licenses the mis-use,
the over-use, of guns as permissible.
Do u assert the same principle against
car owners who see about vehicular collisions on the local TV news??
I usually don't speak about that, either; it happens like every minute
of every day of every year in the nation. So what? Its just part of life.
Car owners r not specificly rendered immune, by the Bill of Rights, as are gun owners.

Joe Nation wrote:
I was going to say that they find such use regrettable,
but they don't ever even say that.
We have FREEDOM to speak.
We have no duty to speak.
I 'm not gonna nash my teeth or rent out my garments.
Maybe instead, I 'll spend more time at gunnery ranges.
Thay r FUN. When young boys arrive, I like to begift them
with plenty of unexpected $$$cash$$ for ammunition & ice cream.

Joe Nation wrote:
They could call 1-866-SPEAK-UP .
Did you know there's an anonymous hot-line to report gun threats?

Joe(neither did I)Nation
If I do, I 'll use it to denounce
any vestige of gun control
and demand that defensive gunnery practice be taught
from the earliest years of public school,
so that future victims will be tactically better prepared to defeat predators.

David

0 Replies