One singular sensation

jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:15 am
One amazing man. RIP.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/story/2012-08-07/Marvin-Hamlisch/56844358/1

Quote:
His music colored some of film and Broadway's most important works.

Hamlisch composed more than 40 film scores, including Sophie's Choice, Ordinary People and Take the Money and Run. He won his third Oscar for his adaptation of Scott Joplin's music for The Sting. On Broadway, Hamlisch received the Pulitzer Prize for long-running favorite A Chorus Line and wrote The Goodbye Girl and Sweet Smell of Success. A news release from his publicist said he was scheduled to fly to Nashville this week to see a production of his hit musical, The Nutty Professor.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,444 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:47 am
This is a great loss to the world of music.

Joe(♥♪•♥)Nation
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:37 am
@Joe Nation,
Yes it is! What great musical gifts he has left the world.
Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 11:44 am
@jcboy,
You gotta love his brand of schmaltz! No one who's a contemporary did it better. May he RIP.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 12:49 pm
What was the cause of death?
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:19 pm
@Miller,
They haven't said yet, all I read said he collapsed after a brief illness. No details though.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:40 pm
Morgan told me he saw Chorus Line on Broadway, after seeing it, he danced down Broadway. Yes, He's Gay Laughing

Rest well Mr. Hamlisch.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 04:05 pm
@jcboy,
I liked quite a bit of his music, but what I really liked was his soundtracks - he brought Scott Joplin some well-deserved attention

Quote:
Hamlisch was one of only eleven people to win all four major US performing awards: Emmy Award, Grammy Award, the Oscar and Tony Award.[13] This collection of all four is referred to as an "EGOT". Hamlisch and Richard Rodgers are the only two people to have won this series of awards and a Pulitzer Prize.[
wikipedia
0 Replies