IPod apps not working?

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:52 am
My daughter has an ipod - I really don't know much about these....it seems out of no where she cannot use the apps that she has downloaded onto her ipod.

The apps that originally came with her ipod work fine. She selects them and they work fine. But the ones she downloaded herself (that do not come with it) when she selects them nothing happens.

Does anyone know what is wrong - how can we fix this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,820 • Replies: 15
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:06 am
@Linkat,
Are you getting any particular error messages? Or do they just do nothing?

Have you checked the Parental Controls to make sure she has permissions to run Apps?
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:17 am
@rosborne979,
They just are not working - she selects nothing. They worked before and a few days ago they stopped working.

Do you think it is worth going to the apple store? How much would they charge?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:19 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

They just are not working - she selects nothing. They worked before and a few days ago they stopped working.

Do you think it is worth going to the apple store? How much would they charge?

Just to make sure I understand... She downloads the new App, is shows up on her iPod as an icon, but when she touches/selects it, it just sits there, nothing happens. Is that right?
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:29 am
@rosborne979,
Yeah - and they worked previously.
jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:42 am
@Linkat,
I was reading online about many others having the same problem. Most said it happened when they updated the software to 2.2

I would take it to the apple store, it might be something simple and they may not charge you anything if the problem is due to new software.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:45 am
@Linkat,
I can't say I know why that has happened, or how to fix it. What I can suggest, and I can only suggest it because I've nothing else to suggest, is that you try the procedure I followed when all of a sudden I could not connect to wi-fi, and which fixed that problem:

First, double-tap the button at the bottom of the screen. That shows all of the apps presently "open" on the ipod. Then, hold your finger down on an icon for several seconds. This will cause the visible icons to wiggle. Close each individual app by pressing the red "minus" symbol on the upper-left of each icon. (This could take a while if your daughter has not ever closed any of her apps. It's allegedly a good thing to do this process periodically to help with battery life.) Finally, after you have closed all open apps, shut off the ipod, and restart.

If that works, I have no idea why.
jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:50 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
First, double-tap the button at the bottom of the screen. That shows all of the apps presently "open" on the ipod. Then, hold your finger down on an icon for several seconds. This will cause the visible icons to wiggle. Close each individual app by pressing the red "minus" symbol on the upper-left of each icon

Yep! I have to do that all the time. Sometimes you can have ten different apps all running in the background. Kills the battery and slows everything down.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:52 am
@Ticomaya,
kind of like - rebooting - no one knows why it works (even the tech guys) but it seems to often times solve all sorts of problems.

I tried to call my daughter, but she was in the shower....my husband said he will bring her to the apple store. We tend to think it could be some other kid playing with (which we warned her against).

She has let my 3 year old niece play with it and we've repeatedly told her not to. Maybe this will teach her a lesson as she told me she isn't going to let her play with it any more. Hopefully it is some small thing and now she will be more careful as we suggested. Some times teenagers need to learn the hard way (in other words parents don't know a damn thing).

I did go ahead and send her those steps - I also told her if they go to the apple store to make sure she asks about that - maybe we will find out why this works...
rosborne979

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 09:13 am
@Linkat,
After doing the steps that Tico recommended, I would also recommend a "Hard" reboot. That's when you hold down the power button until it gives you the "Red Slider" bar, and then slide it to get it completely off.

Then turn it back on again by holding the power button briefly.

That's the first thing they will probably do that the Apple store once they get their hands on it.

Good luck,
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 09:24 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
After doing the steps that Tico recommended, I would also recommend a "Hard" reboot. That's when you hold down the power button until it gives you the "Red Slider" bar, and then slide it to get it completely off.

Then turn it back on again by holding the power button briefly.

That's what I meant when I said turn it off ... holding the power button down and using the red slider bar to do the "hard reboot".
rosborne979

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 09:27 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
That's what I meant when I said turn it off ... holding the power button down and using the red slider bar to do the "hard reboot".

I figured that. But sometimes people confuse "turning it off" with simply putting it into sleep mode. I'm not sure where Linkat is on all this (and no offense intended by assuming a possible lack of knowledge), but some people don't even know these devices *can* be turned off, or how to do it.
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 09:54 am
@rosborne979,
No offense - in my opinion you can't hurt the situation by dummy it down - I've even told the help desk at work - go ahead and speak to me as if I have no knowledge whatsoever.

Put it to you this way I have difficulty trying to figure out how to answer my blackberry or to make a call. So far I've mastered viewing and sending out emaials.
Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 03:50 pm
@Linkat,
so just to let you know - it was because she didn't download upgrades to her ipod. My hubby took her to apple store this week and they showed her - I guess there something on it telling her she needed to upgrade but she ignored it.

Simple solution.
0 Replies

john hassen

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 01:50 am
@Linkat,
Hello community,

The iPod is an MP3 player made by Apple. It comes in various models and styles, such as the iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano. The main function of the device is playing music. The process by which you download music onto an iPod is moderately easy, but requires a home computer and the appropriate software. Putting music on your iPod shouldn't take longer than a few minutes. To download music to an ipod you need a USB port and sponsored link. The easiest way to put content on your iPod is to download it directly to the device via a Wi-Fi connection. Tap "Settings" on the home screen and select "Store." Tap "Sign In" and enter the username and password for your account. You can select either the iTunes Store or the App Store. Once in the store, locate the app or file you want to download. Depending on whether it is a free app or premium content, you will tap through several confirmation screens. Then, the download begins. To locate the downloaded file, return to the home screen and select "Downloads."

Best Regards,
John Hassen
0 Replies

ShirleyRogers

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 10:34 pm
@Linkat,
There are many ways to solved problem with your daughter’s downloaded iPod app, which is not working properly.
1. Restart the app
2. Restart your device
3. Update your device software and your apps
4. Install another app from the App store
5. Reinstall the app
If same issue raise again and again after trying above then please contact customer care.
Thnaks
0 Replies