pieman

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:50 pm
Does anyone have experience with or opinions about the iPod Touch? I am thinking about upgrading from an iPod Nano to a Touch. I have read media reviews about them but would like to hear from folks who own one.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,443 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 05:14 pm
I received one as a gift... and it is pretty fun. I don't think I would buy it for myself because of the price.

I find it quite useful for movies and podcasts, and some of the applications are fun. The touch screen interface works well for navigating content. It plays movies very well.

The wireless internet isn't that useful to me because the keyboard is very frustrating. This takes away from its utility as an internet device. It connects flawlessly, but is hard to use.

It is locked... meaning that you can only use Apple approved content unless you go through a process called "jailbreaking". This is doable... but it bugs me that you have to do it.

0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 05:30 pm
@pieman,
It's a nifty device. As ebrown mentioned, it's fun not only for music, but also for podcasts and movies.

The wi-fi functionality and location services work remarkably well, and in a city you should be easily able to pick up an open wireless signal and access the internet, check your mails or use Google maps.

The touchscreen interface and the tilt sensor are very nifty technologies, and they alone offer an amazing range of possibilities for developers of third party programs.

If you're getting a 2nd generation iPod Touch, you'll also have a good chance of using it as a voip phone by installing skype on the iPod, as the 2nd generation comes with external speakers and a microphone. Which means that you'd be able to make and receive calls from your iPod Touch for free.

There are thousands of 'apps' online in the iTunes store, and many useful apps are available for free.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:59 pm
@pieman,
I don't knock it as a device, except that if I were to buy it why not just get the whole iPhone? It's the same thing but also a phone, so you don't have to carry both a phone and an iPod.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:27 am
@pieman,
I have one and I love it. It's the best gadget I've owned in years. Most gadgets get boring once you figure out everything they can do, but with the iPod you an just keep downloading Apps which do more and more stuff.

I bought mine primarily to use as a portable computer for web access and Email. My business is run from the web, so even with the iPod touch's limited typing interface I can still run everything I need from the road in a pinch.

The only reason I didn't get the iPhone yet is because I don't want to be locked into their phone service carrier (because we already have a different carrier through the phones we use in the business).

If the iPod/iPhone interface/design remains as radically superior to everything else on the market as it is now, then in a few years I will probably switch the entire company over to it as our standard cell phone for the company. Also I want to wait a few years to get the kinks worked out of the system.

Viable touch-screen technology has been long overdue. It's about time someone finally got them into production.

0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:59 am
My daughter got one for free when she bought a Macbook (free is a bit of a wiggle word here). She likes it a lot.

My Dad got an iPhone and he likes it too - except for the external mute button that he keeps bumping by mistake and then he wonders why nobody calls him.
0 Replies

pieman

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 12:58 pm
Thank you for your responses.
0 Replies