Pete Rose

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:17 am
After Meeting With Selig, Door Seems Ajar for Rose

By MURRAY CHASS

Pete Rose amassed more hits than any player in baseball's past but has continually struck out in his attempts to be restored to baseball's future. Now, after more than 13 years on the permanently ineligible list, Rose could finally be in position to gain reinstatement, but a person who has been told details of the development said yesterday that Rose still faces one major hurdle: he must acknowledge betting on baseball games.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/11/sports/baseball/11ROSE.html?todaysheadlines

Pete Rose with all his warts, based upon his accomplishments as a player, I believe belongs in the hall of fame. What's your opinion? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,442 • Replies: 13
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:28 am
I never liked the fellow.
I never liked the Reds.
I think he should acknowledge his mistakes. But that should not be the point.
I think he was too good of a player. He deserves to be in Cooperstown.
If he is not inducted, sooner or later he'll become more of a legend. Like Shoeless Joe Jackson.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:41 am
I second that motion--and Shoeless Joe is a perfect example--well said, Boss.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 11:07 am
Ditto fbaezer.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:03 pm
I'll be the contrarian here.

Rose needs to acknowledge what he did. When he does, they'll welcome him with open arms. But the thing is, I think he doesn't want to acknowledge it. Part of this seems to be silly pride, but another reason is probably the popularity factor. At the last All-Star Game, he got the biggest ovation. Why? Willie Mays was there, and Hank Aaron, plus they were trotting out the memories of Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams. Why would Rose get the biggest ovation of all of them? Because, IMHO, of the controversy factor. Take that away, he's just another retired ballplayer. I think he can sell his autographs for a lot more because of that, too. Hence, why admit he was wrong?

Actually, if Selig really wanted to punish Rose, he'd let him into the Hall of Fame, and the revenue from card shows, etc. would begin to slip away. :-D
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 12:37 pm
Jespah

Well said
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 01:18 pm
I flew from Japan to LA one time with Pete Rose. His personality one on one was great. I didn't coo over him, ask for an autograph or any rah, rah - just treated him like another joe. Like I said, he was fun to talk to. He told me (this was in about 1980) the #1 palyer in baseball in his book was Mike Schmitt (Sp), third baseman for the Phillies. He wasn't arrogant or conceited - which is the picture I also saw of him before; ie, the game face.

Yes, the time is ripe, I hope Pete and Selig can come to grips with a pound of flesh for reinstatement. I think it would be great to get Rose back into the game. I understand he is a great teacher.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:27 pm
Was he not banned for life? Wasn't that the verdict? Banned For Life?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:28 pm
Which is when Selig says a life time is up!
0 Replies

ZedSquared

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 03:23 pm
Pete and Shoeless Joe
There have been a number of players banned that shouldn't have been Shoeless Joe for instance. Pete deserves to be out and stay out! He bet on all sports and no one else in recent times have done that without being banished. Bye Pete let this be an example to all that see it you don't bet on sports and stay in baseball. He should consider himself lucky not to be with Mickey Lolich.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:49 pm
Wednesday, January 22

Report: Rose willing to admit to betting on baseball

ESPN.com news services

More than a month since news broke that commissioner Bud Selig was considering reinstating Pete Rose, Newsday is reporting that the all-time hits king has indicated to Selig that he's willing for the first time to admit he bet on baseball.

The newspaper cited a friend of Rose, who spoke on condition of anonymity, for the basis of its report. The report said Rose also would be willing to apologize for his betting denials the past 13 years and even serve a probationary period in order to gain reinstatement and Hall of Fame eligibility for 2004.

Rose's friend told Newsday that Rose is encouraged by progress in talks among Selig, Rose's lawyers and current Hall of Famers Mike Schmidt, Johnny Bench and Joe Morgan -- all former teammates of Rose -- and is confident an agreement can be finalized and announced within a couple months. Such an agreement would allow Rose to be reinstated and be eligible for the Hall of Fame.

What remains to be determined, a source told ESPN on Wednesday, is whether Rose would be permitted to work in baseball or if so how much of a role he would be allowed to have

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0122/1496837.html
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:10 am
Funny that Rose should be a victimized, but what about Michael Jordan and all the dough he lost betting? Remember, when he left the Bulls to play baseball for one year?
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 10:39 am
Banned for life
Yes, Pete Rose was banned for life, Just like Ueberoth banned Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle for life... Enough said.
0 Replies

BenDover

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 04:22 pm
Rose should be in the hall of fame and selig should go **** himself!!!
0 Replies