I'm getting friggin' irritated

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 11:25 am
@Robert Gentel,
I loved what you said. An excellent assessment. Can't disagree with any of it. The behavior of most of the players; media, general population, govt, gun lobby, gun control lobby, will be in their own best interest, not the interest of the population at large. Thus, there will be a lot of chest beating and not much will change. Time goes on.
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 11:31 am
A major part of this is something we don't often admit.

Humans are violent. We love to fight with each other. Sadly, this action by this person is an extreme extension of this.

Played any video games lately?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 11:45 am
@Robert Gentel,
You wrote,
Quote:
My point is just that the majority of mass murder is committed currently with bombs, indicating a viable alternative to guns.

I think you're right; Oklahoma City was one of the first, and that kind of killing will be in our future.
boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:02 pm
@Setanta,
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You can't convict someone until they do something and you can rarely detain anybody for the same reason. It remains circular until a criminal act is in progress.

This is the best answer. It's succinct and it goes right to the point.

I can recall a couple of murders here where parents have desperately tried to get their adult children psychiatric care (or management) and were told there was nothing the police could do until their child had committed some crime.
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:16 pm
@boomerang,
That's why i said EB's answer was the best. Effectively, our societal control of such individuals is reactive only.

My mother worked in s state mental health system back in the bad old days when states maintained "state hospitals" for people who would today be homeless "crazies" wandering the streets. They also housed young people who were considered to be "out of control." No such institutions exist today. The only "solutions" these days are to deal with the behavior of such people after the fact of their disastrous behavior.

I'm not saying with this that the state hospital systems of days gone by were an effective system for dealing with such people, or that we should return to them. Essentially, i don't see this as a solve-able problem. Many of the people in state hospitals were people who had acted out violent, even murderously, but who had been found not guilty by reason of insanity. So they put them in state hospitals indefinitely.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:16 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

I loved what you said. An excellent assessment. Can't disagree with any of it. The behavior of most of the players; media, general population, govt, gun lobby, gun control lobby, will be in their own best interest, not the interest of the population at large. Thus, there will be a lot of chest beating and not much will change. Time goes on.

Which is why it is critical that a critical mass of the citizens be both educated and grounded. We do not have that.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:50 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
(I don't remember now if Nafissatou Diallo, the woman who accused DSK of rape, was "outed" before she started to speak publicly. A quick Google search didn't yield a definitive answer.)

She was outed in some foreign press and some low-level outlets. I remember some folks posting some pretty ratty articles (some included pictures and open speculation that the accuser was too ugly for the story to be true). But that is indeed a great example of western media self-censorship that is a principled position averse to their profits. For the most part it was at the tabloid/blog level in the US till she spoke out.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 07:06 pm
And then there are just assholes

http://www.balloon-juice.com/2012/07/25/asshole-of-the-century/
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:25 am
@Robert Gentel,
We know he built some devices that he planted in his apartment. The effectiveness of those devices is unknown. They may not have worked at all. They may have been relatively ineffective as far as bombs but been more incendiary in nature which would have meant little loss of life but decent property damage. They may have been extremely effective which is unlikely for a novice bomb builder. Simply look at the pattern of suicide bombers where they used a highly skilled bomb maker and even then they don't always work.

Hand a person a gun and most people can figure out how to use it.
Hand a person bomb making materials and most won't figure out how to make a bomb. Some will try and blow themselves up. Some won't try. Some might succeed but badly. Some may make a great bomb. Your cigarette vs tobacco example only works if you allow the person to attempt to roll 10 cigarettes. How many will be rolling good cigarettes on that 10th attempt?

Ultimately, the "They will just build a bomb" argument is no better than OMSigDavid's argument that they will just make their own guns. It all comes down to how dedicated the person is to killing as many as possible. Would they settle for a slightly less effective weapons if that was all that was available? Would they be skilled enough to manufacture a better way to kill if they can't simply buy it at the store? If there had not been a 100 shot drum available would Holmes have been willing to go in with 20 5 shot clips? Certainly it would have reduced his rounds per minute which may have allowed more to escape or even to take him down while reloading. Would he have waited until he could find a private seller to get that drum?

Quote:
These attrition points are worthwhile for society to pursue, as long as society understands the proportionality of their attempts and does not sink undue cost into the attempt at the incremental benefits they stand to reap.
I agree completely. And it all goes down to human behavior. What lengths are those that would perpetrate these acts really willing to go vs settling for what is readily available? What are those that claim the wouldn't commit those acts be willing to do without? Certainly no one needs a 100 shot drum but why do they really want one?
parados

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
Since then we have made it more difficult to buy the fertilizer required to make that bomb. Will it prevent all bombings? No. Will it prevent spur of the moment bombings of that magnitude? Most likely.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:48 am
@parados,
True; people can still make bombs, because other materials can be used besides fertilizer.
parados

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 11:20 am
@cicerone imposter,
Sure, but they still have to get materials of some sort and figure out how to assemble them and not screw up and blow themselves up or get caught.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 11:21 am
@parados,
And some do "blow themselves up!" That's moral justice.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 07:08 pm
Fortunately, police were notified about this man's threats and he was hospitalized for a psychiatric evaluation before anything happened.
Quote:
The New York Times
July 27, 2012
Man Held in Maryland Threats Had 25 Guns, Police Say
By JOHN H. CUSHMAN Jr.

WASHINGTON — State and federal authorities have detained a man in the Maryland suburbs of Washington who had declared himself “a joker” and had threatened to kill people after what appeared to be a workplace dispute, the police said on Friday. A hoard of weapons and ammunition was found at the man’s home, the authorities said.

Mark A. Magaw, the police chief in Prince George’s County, said that when the threats were reported, the echoes of the mass killing last week in Aurora, Colo., led the police to get an order from a judge allowing them to take the suspect into custody for psychiatric evaluation.

“He said, ‘I’m a joker, and I am going to load my guns and blow everybody up,’ ” Chief Magaw said, describing one of the threatening telephone conversations that the suspect, who was being fired, had with a co-worker this week. The threat was reported on Wednesday, and the suspect was taken into custody the next night.

An affidavit named the suspect as Neil E. Prescott. He was under observation at a hospital after he surrendered quietly, the police said.

When the police went to his residence in nearby Anne Arundel County, they found him wearing a T-shirt with the slogan “Guns don’t kill people, I do,” police officials said at a news conference and in the affidavit. He was described as groggy but compliant.

A search at the residence found about 25 guns, including semiautomatic weapons, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, the police said.

“In light of what happened in Aurora, Colorado, it is important for the community to know that we take all threats seriously, and if you are going to make a threat, we will take action,” Chief Magaw said.

The Prince George’s County Police Department posted a photograph of the weapons that were seized on its Twitter account.

Julie Parker, a spokeswoman for the county police, described the events as a “thwarted terror threat.” The investigation has been joined by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The affidavit said that the suspect made the threats on Monday in telephone conversations with a co-worker, and that both were employed by Pitney Bowes, a federal contractor.

“The suspect arrested was an employee of a subcontractor to Pitney Bowes,” the company said in a statement. “He has not been on any Pitney Bowes property in more than four months.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/us/maryland-man-held-over-threats-had-weapons-hoard-police-say.html?hpw
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:13 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Hand a person a gun and most people can figure out how to use it.
Hand a person bomb making materials and most won't figure out how to make a bomb. Some will try and blow themselves up. Some won't try. Some might succeed but badly. Some may make a great bomb. Your cigarette vs tobacco example only works if you allow the person to attempt to roll 10 cigarettes. How many will be rolling good cigarettes on that 10th attempt?

I don't think you really understand the point of it, which is basically to make the same point you are making: that guns are easier to use than bombs and that alone means bombs have attrition that they do not.

Quote:
Ultimately, the "They will just build a bomb" argument is no better than OMSigDavid's argument that they will just make their own guns.

I don't think you understand the point of my argument, because that certainly isn't it. Here I was merely pointing out that this person did, in fact, make a bomb and did so without the team of people you implied was necessary to do so.

You described the pattern in militarized use of suicide bombing in asymmetric warfare (which is relevant in that the existence of that warfare right now is why explosives outrank guns in mass murder right now), but the US has plenty of examples of lone individuals making bombs) and this is yet another. It's definitely viable, guns are a common weapon in mass murder and yes it's true that some people who can use guns won't be able to use other weapons as readily (explosives for technical reasons, melee weapons for physical and psychological ones) and guns really are a great weapon to try to kill around 5 to 10 people in a crowd if that is your thing.

My point is that this is an occurrence rare enough and enough of the deranged will still find other ways to kill that the loss of life prevented from banning guns is far less than most who advocate it seem to think (though I still think it would have a net positive effect on the loss of life in the average society that tries it).

Quote:
Certainly no one needs a 100 shot drum but why do they really want one?

I suppose it is because it grants them more power than lesser-capacity magazines do and that when ordering power most people want to super-size it.

I agree that there is not much legitimate necessity for this kind of power in the hands of anyone but I also don't think society would be all that much safer if we got rid of them (again, this is a less-than-lightning issue) and think that culture and economy make a much bigger difference than gun laws and drum size.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I know that, having read that headline, you're all now saying, "OMG, Andy's irritated. What can we all do to make him feel better?" I just know that.

OK. Here's the thing. A madman goes into a movie theater and kills a dozen people for no apparent reason. A2kers start something like close to half a dozen threads on the shooting. And what does every single one of them degenrate into? A pro-and-anti gun control diatribe, that's what. Is that really all that this is about?

Even on a thread like OmSigDAVIDS's which is clearly labelled as being about MOTIVES behind the massacre, nobody's talking about the alleged perp. It's all about whether taking away everybody's guns would make any difference. (The only post I've read on any of these threads that is actually thoughtful and worth considering is Robert Gentel's. The rest of y'all are just flapping your collective gums in a predictable manner.)

This isn't about guns and whether the 2d Amendment should be repealed. It's about a tragic incident and whether anything could have been done to predict it and, thus, prevent it. It's -- or should be -- about what makes a seemingly bright and promising young man like the alleged perp go bananas and, instead of planning how to seduce some classmate of his, starts planning how to eradicate a group of his fellow humans which, as far as we know, he has no connection with, people he doesn't know and has never met.

Facrissake, that's what's important here, not whether British gun laws are more sensible than the American laissez faire tradition. It's not about what the friggin' US Constitution guarantees or doesn't guarantee. It's about a sick human being and the families of those who have been bereft of loved ones as a result of this sicko's depredations.

Let's talk about something serious just for a change, just for this once.

Okay?
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 04:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I know that, having read that headline, you're all now saying, "OMG, Andy's irritated. What can we all do to make him feel better?" I just know that.

OK. Here's the thing. A madman goes into a movie theater and kills a dozen people for no apparent reason. A2kers start something like close to half a dozen threads on the shooting. And what does every single one of them degenrate into? A pro-and-anti gun control diatribe, that's what. Is that really all that this is about?

Even on a thread like OmSigDAVIDS's which is clearly labelled as being about MOTIVES behind the massacre, nobody's talking about the alleged perp. It's all about whether taking away everybody's guns would make any difference. (The only post I've read on any of these threads that is actually thoughtful and worth considering is Robert Gentel's. The rest of y'all are just flapping your collective gums in a predictable manner.)

This isn't about guns and whether the 2d Amendment should be repealed. It's about a tragic incident and whether anything could have been done to predict it and, thus, prevent it. It's -- or should be -- about what makes a seemingly bright and promising young man like the alleged perp go bananas and, instead of planning how to seduce some classmate of his, starts planning how to eradicate a group of his fellow humans which, as far as we know, he has no connection with, people he doesn't know and has never met.

Facrissake, that's what's important here, not whether British gun laws are more sensible than the American laissez faire tradition. It's not about what the friggin' US Constitution guarantees or doesn't guarantee. It's about a sick human being and the families of those who have been bereft of loved ones as a result of this sicko's depredations.

Let's talk about something serious just for a change, just for this once.

Okay?

Could be that Holmes was brain washed by a psychotic weirdo like Marshall Applewhite...

Heaven's Gate
was an American UFO religion based in San San Diego, California, founded and led by Marshall Applewhite (1931–1997) and Bonnie Nettles (1928–1985).[1] On March 26, 1997, police discovered the bodies of 39 members of the group who had committed suicide[2] in order to reach an alien space craft which they believed was following the Comet Hale-Bopp, which was at its brightest.

Wikipedia.

If 38 people could be brainwashed , why not just one. Holmes was a loner and those kind are usually the most susceptible.

Jim Jones also brain washed hundreds, but that's another story
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 11:55 pm
@trying2learn,
Thank you for proving my point Smile
0 Replies