Would 300 being shot shot in an incident lead to reform?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 09:35 pm
In the first place, you cannot rid the USA of guns, no matter how many regulations are passed, unless you want dozens of Wacos. Gun fanatics are buying as many as they can afford and many are prepared to resist to the death the government if it tries to take them away. It is an illness that has to melt away of its own accord. As Robert points out, the root cause is cultural. I have taken the stand that it's okay to have a hand gun for protection and a rifle for hunting. Deep within me, I want even these guns destroyed, but until our culture evolves away from such things, it is foolish to want them banned. The best we may hope for in the meantime is to regulate them to an extent, the way anything else dangerous gets regulated.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:04 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
In the short term, with such a large amount of firearms out there, that would probably be correct.

I didn't mean that it wouldn't be effective because it would be hard to enforce in America (though that is certainly true) but because I do not believe that evidence supports the widely-held notion that access to guns is a large factor influencing homicide.

Quote:
Australia had 5 notable massacres between 71 & 96 (not including a bikie shootout), with 4 of them between 87 & 96...but after Martin Bryant massacred 35 people at Port Arthur (in 96), and gun reform was implemented - no mass murders since.

I know, pretty much every Australian writer I read this week is saying the same thing, seemingly thinking that a causal link is self-evident. In that the statistical sample is about as small as it can get it's not dissimilar to the Neocons arguments to the effect that Bush's foreign policy was vindicated because there were no more 911s since or even like Lisa's Tiger-Repellent Rock, the conclusion is simply not substantiated by the cited data (not that it is refuted either, just that the conclusion drawn is not scientific but intuitive).

But most damningly, in other places you can find examples where the correlation doesn't even hold true, to say nothing of getting as far as establishing a causative link. Homicide just doesn't correlate as neatly with gun prevalence as most people think. Things like the abortion rate seem to have a much bigger impact, and cyclic changes in culture (the US violent crime peaked in the 90s too, and has subsided since too, but obviously not because of gun control) make gun correlation seem to be a rounding error.

But it is true that if you select for it by only counting mass murder at a single time then a stronger correlation can be made, there just aren't a lot of weapons as good as guns for this kind of thing (but remember, there are still bombs and this guy came close to killing people with those too, as he timed his music in his apartment to blare at the same time as the attack, and almost got a neighbor to open the door).

But these are extraordinarily rare events. Would you accept banning of violent movies to try to reduce them? If not, why? I wouldn't because I think the value of violent movies (to those who enjoy them, I average 0.3 movies in the theaters per year) exceeds the risks they represent. I think these kinds of mass killings are impossible to completely eliminate and while we can certainly do what is reasonable to reduce them it is statistically negligible of a threat and merely exotic enough to get humans to want to overreact to (kinda like terrorism).

Quote:
The point of gun laws isn't to stop people from owning guns, but to keep them out of easy reach of known petty criminals (life time ones will always find a way to have one should they desire one) / mentally ill people/ suicidal people / and domestically violent people.

Whatever you decide your point to be, the available data suggests that doing so will have a negligible impact on the homicide rate. There are places saturated with guns with low homicide rates and places where there are relatively few guns that are dripping in blood. There are places that saw reductions in violence together with reductions in guns and other places that didn't.

I used to really believe the correlation was greater than this, but the more I looked into it the more I realized this really just didn't bear out, and that more than anything else things like population densities seemed to matter more (should we regulate city density instead?) and societal factors such as economic mobility and family culture (fewer unwanted babies and broken homes) have a much bigger impact.

Quote:
The point of not allowing semi-auto's is fairly obvious, and no civilian can provide a legitimate argument for owning them.

I don't personally see a lot of value to society at large in guns in general so I am inclined to agree that there aren't legitimate arguments for citizens owning infantry weapons. But at the same time I think proscribing them is going to make a statistically negligible difference and if reducing homicide is your goal there is a lot of lower hanging fruit than this that just isn't as exotic as guns. Things like giving people better access to birth control, that will make a much bigger difference than the obsession with guns ever will.

Quote:
The point of gun reform may also be to change the culture. Cultures don't change overnight, and there is always resistance to change...even if the long term result will be positive.

At least I agree with this wholeheartedly, the cultural changes that gun control can be a part of matter a whole lot more than the gun per capital rate does.

America is simply a very violent culture, and always has been. Changing that is a lot more important than guns, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of appetite for other ideas like banning violent music or movies (I do not support those arguments either) and I think that this is telling. When there is a personal sacrifice most aren't willing to change, and this is a tragedy of the commons where gun owners are right in that carrying a gun can be personally advantageous to them even if it is bad for the overall society. However the degree to which guns are pernicious is almost always vastly overstated. Roe vs. Wade did more to lower homicide rates than gun control in America ever will.
vikorr

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:02 am
@Robert Gentel,
Hi Robert, thanks for the thoughtful post.

One of the benefits of Gun Reform is that population 'feels' safer (from guns anyway). The big disadvantage you have with guns over other forms of assault, is that it's rather difficult to run from a gun, or defend yourself from a gun.

There are still murders etc as you point out, and they are still (in Australia at least) mostly within the drugs/crime scene and the domestic violence scene. Australian homicide rates were in decline prior to gun control.

Quote:
I know, pretty much every Australian writer I read this week is saying the same thing, seemingly thinking that a causal link is self-evident.
If you look at each of the cases - they weren't shoot ups by hardened criminals, but by people who cracked. Those 'people' who crack, now no longer have access to semi-automatic weapons. It's a huge difference, and something completely ignored by pro-gun lobbyists who avoid this significant aspect of mass shootings. The same sort of people are involved in them in America I believe (people who crack, not pro gun-lobbyists)

So while there is an obvious before & after comparison (which as you correctly pointed out, isn't scientific because of the small pool) - it is accompanied by a change in circumstance of available weaponry for the type of people who commit these things.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:58 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
One of the benefits of Gun Reform is that population 'feels' safer (from guns anyway).

The people who had guns will not tend to see it that way, those who did not have will tend to.

Quote:
The big disadvantage you have with guns over other forms of assault, is that it's rather difficult to run from a gun, or defend yourself from a gun.

Yes, that's the general allure of a gun, its efficacy as a weapon. But that swings both ways, the same reasons it has utility as a weapon for offense makes it good for defense.

The physically weak grant the physically strong a monopoly on force without weapons. As a young person who does not own guns the feeling of safety I would have are different than, say an 90-year-0ld lady who keeps a gun at home for protection.

I bet she would feel less safe without her gun, not more. This is the small cost of gun control but it must be balanced against the small benefit.

Quote:
If you look at each of the cases - they weren't shoot ups by hardened criminals, but by people who cracked. Those 'people' who crack, now no longer have access to semi-automatic weapons. It's a huge difference, and something completely ignored by pro-gun lobbyists who avoid this significant aspect of mass shootings.

No, it's not a huge difference. If you allow yourself to be dispassionate about it you will realize that it is a statistically insignificant (comparable to being struck by lightning) difference. It is a rounding error of a difference that society likes to overreact to.

Not just because it's so exceedingly rare to begin with but because the majority of mass murder these days already does not use guns (bombs are by far the most common weapon used in mass murder) and even if you succeed in eliminating guns you only reduce the risk from these individuals incrementally, not entirely because guns are not the only weapon for this kind of thing. Taking guns off the table does change the game, it takes certain narratives off the table for one (and in western society the kamikaze or suicide route is not as popular) but it's a rounding error of a difference in the grand scheme of things to just take one of the weapons off the table.

I don't deny the tactical differences guns make and that the elimination of guns will likely reduce the risks of mass murder, but this guy made bombs too, if he had no guns it is possible that bombs would have just been his primary, instead of secondary, attack and there is no magic trick that makes this risk go away entirely, it just is slightly mitigated and when an exceedingly rare risk is slightly mitigated it really isn't that significant in the grand scheme of things and the costs of the reaction need to be carefully considered.

Quote:
The same sort of people are involved in them in America I believe (people who crack, not pro gun-lobbyists)

So while there is an obvious before & after comparison (which as you correctly pointed out, isn't scientific because of the small pool) - it is accompanied by a change in circumstance of available weaponry for the type of people who commit these things.

I agree that it makes a difference, but even if we take all your data and accept it blindly we are probably talking about fewer people per year than die from shark attacks and we aren't going to go and ban swimming over that. My point is that every day we have risks that are orders of magnitude greater than this that we accept as part of our quotidian ride. These are merely exotic risks that we dramatically inflate the importance of. Just like terrorism, it's a statistical rounding error with disproportionate reactions. But that is kinda the point of terrorism and mass murder, why be played like a puppet? Your safety the day before it is the same as the day after it, the difference is how you feel.

Reality is not binary, there isn't safe vs not safe like our minds try to make rationalize everything as. In reality it's just a sliding spectrum of risk and everyone needs to draw a line somewhere. Remember, I'm fine with banning guns because the cost of doing so is slight in my opinion and I think the benefits generally outweigh the risks. I am only trying to bring a sense of proportion to this debate.

Banning guns will make a small difference in our safety, having guns makes a small difference for the individual's safety (most predatory attacks try to employ the element of surprise and do so devastatingly enough that being armed is moot in most cases outside of home invasions).

In the case of the USA, the prospect of meaningful legislation is so remote, and the chances of effective enforcement also bad enough that I think it's actually not worth trying in the US. Gun control only works if you can "starve the market" of guns, that is next to impossible to do in the US and what it results in is just poster children for the gun lobby (where the legislation is not effectively enforced, and merely does grand a force monopoly to criminals like the gun lobby argues in a self-fulfilling prophecy).

Boycotting the cultural event and denying it the attention that it feeds on will go much further towards improving American security than will trying to ban guns. Attention is the fuel for a lot of these people. Inspiration flips people more than access to weapons does.

This guy tried both guns and bombs, the tool is not the key limitation, the flipped bit is. Guns flip fewer of those bits than a lot of things (e.g. the coverage of this event is going to flip some).
vikorr

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
The people who had guns will not tend to see it that way, those who did not have will tend to.
Odd - most of Australia feels safer for the reforms.

Quote:
Yes, that's the general allure of a gun, its efficacy as a weapon. But that swings both ways, the same reasons it has utility as a weapon for offense makes it good for defense.
I see this argument come up time and again, and have rarely seen a situation where a gun was within easy reach to enable this to be true (I'm not counting interactions between criminals here) [in a circumstance where it wouldn't get you put in jail for using it]. Considering the amount of murders that occur (removing criminal interactions) - how many of the victims owned guns but didn't have them handy to defend themselves? I'm sure any number of the domestic homicide victims even had them in their house with them when they were murdered (the point here being that ownership doesn't place a firearm handy when you are being attacked..rendering self defense as a reason rather weak)

Quote:
No, it's not a huge difference. If you allow yourself to be dispassionate about it you will realize that it is a statistically insignificant (comparable to being struck by lightning) difference. It is a rounding error of a difference that society likes to overreact to.
It is a huge difference - in a statistically minute area.

My post was rather dispassionate (it's an interesting topic is about all I can say)- do you see me denouncing gun owners, or citing gun ownership as the root of all evil, or anything remotely similar?

That you read such 'passion' into it would suggest that you are more passionate about this than me, would it not? Personally, I'm just stating the experience here in Australia. If you don't live here, it's understandable if you don't comprehend it.

While mass murders are statistically rare, when they occur, they do affect the psych of a people. There's actually a plethora of things that people are more 'scared' of than they should be. As I said previously, it's about people 'feeling' safer.
Quote:
I bet she would feel less safe without her gun, not more.
Again, here in Australia, I would disagree.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:57 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
Odd - most of Australia feels safer for the reforms.

There's no inconsistency here unless the majority of Australia previously carried guns. The majority of America would probably feel safer too, the vocal minority (and a big enough one) that carries guns would likely tend not to.

Quote:
I see this argument come up time and again, and have rarely seen a situation where a gun was within easy reach to enable this to be true (I'm not counting interactions between criminals here) [in a circumstance where it wouldn't get you put in jail for using it].

I agree, and this is why I think the benefit of guns is insignificant enough to be fine with getting rid of them.

Plus I'd rather have a less-than-lethal weapon for most self-defense anyway.

But there is undeniably some situations (home invasion centric are the most likely) where this is not an unreasonable strategic advantage to crave.

Still, even so I've had friends who were armed not have a chance to use them in home invasions (in Brazil) and know what you mean. In one of the cases the homeowner simply decided he didn't want to start shooting and would rather just lose his stuff than risk the lives of his family so they piled everything he owned into his car and left with it.

Nevertheless there are certainly some cases where they can help, and there is also something to be said for the deterrent factor in things like home invasion where the likelihood that someone can get to a weapon is a legitimate risk to weigh for the criminal.

But by and large I agree, and think that generally a gun is more likely to endanger most people more than protect them. But there are still going to be some cases where guns save lives from bad guys too, I think they are not very statistically significant either but they undoubtedly exist to some degree.

Quote:
It is a huge difference - in a statistically minute area.

If you are allowed to select a statistically minute area the limits of the hugeness you can find is virtually limitless (see the magic rock for the deliberately absurd example. Picking the scope of the data is a big deal for science. Witness:

I'm immortal. So far.

Quote:
My post was rather dispassionate (it's an interesting topic is about all I can say)- do you see me denouncing gun owners, or citing gun ownership as the root of all evil, or anything remotely similar?

I wasn't trying to make the case that you are being inordinately emotional, I was really just adding a disclaimer for my detached way of treating these lives as statistics. So close to this tragedy this is surely to be offensive to some (who might misinterpret it as saying the lives lost were insignificant). It was not a commentary on you but an acknowledgment that the properly empathetic way to view this is not very statistically sound but to view it from a statistical standpoint is not very empathetic to individual loss of life.

Quote:
That you read such 'passion' into it would suggest that you are more passionate about this than me, would it not? Personally, I'm just stating the experience here in Australia. If you don't live here, it's understandable if you don't comprehend it.

I really have no idea what your misunderstanding of what I wrote might mean about me. I think you might have reduced my comment to a binary "you are too emotional" criticism but my comment wasn't directed at you nor did it seek to make that case.

Being unable to be anything but dispassionate about this is something I that would worry me a lot more in you than an inability to be dispassionate about it. Empathy is a healthy emotion to have and deficiencies in empathy is much more dangerous than guns are.

Quote:
While mass murders are statistically rare, when they occur, they do affect the psych of a people. There's actually a plethora of things that people are more 'scared' of than they should be. As I said previously, it's about people 'feeling' safer.

You can say the same about those who, as Obama said, "cling to their guns".

The greatest cost to gun control is the converse feelings from the gun-carrying minority who will feel less safe.

Quote:
Quote:
I bet she would feel less safe without her gun, not more.
Again, here in Australia, I would disagree.

Australians are a lot less different than Americans than you would like to think.
hilbert

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 08:31 am
@ZREX,
zrex says "I can not show you obvious reasons but you can find it in Luke 22:36"

I asked a minister to comment on this passage which seems so contrary to Jesus' teachings.

He said that Jesus' reference to "sword" in that passage was a reference to the word of God, often referred to as a "sword" in the Bible
ZREX

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:04 pm
@hilbert,
Well that seems like a minister response, but disagree simply because at the time he said it you could not buy the word. The bible had not been printed. Second the disciples showed him two swords to which he replied that was enough. So...ya hat tipped to the minister but...fail.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 01:38 pm
@hilbert,
Sounds like you're getting a lot of bad information from your Christian friends, hilbert. Smile
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:51 pm
@hilbert,
No. Too much money for the gun lobby to give up.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 02:54 pm
@Joe Nation,
Christians? have been picking phrases from the old and new testaments to back up their stupid ideas for 2000 years. Dont expect it to end any time soon.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
Can anyone come up with the name of the stupid politician (There I go repeating words again) who said he dident understand why one of the movie goers dident pull their weapon and kill the perp before he could kill anyone?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 03:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks again for your thoughts. I agree with some, disagree with others, but not so much that it's worth exploring the differences.

I will note however, your comment :

Quote:
If you are allowed to select a statistically minute area the limits of the hugeness you can find is virtually limitless

Which is in relation to the removal of semi automatic weapons, which makes it much more difficult for people who 'snap' to commit mass murders.
---------------------

There's a difference between statistically minute, and significant.

While you state it is statistically minute (which we both agree too), you appear at the same time to dismiss such events as insignificant (my point being they are significant) :

- Mass murders always result in front page news, always result in more anxiety/fear in the community, always result in large degree of grief, and inevitably always result in 'how could we not have seen the signs / how could we have avoided this'

- the repercussions of such mass murders can be far reaching. 9-11 (which is statistically minute - to the degree of just once) had huge significance and impact on the US (and also much of the world in terms of Airport Security), and (still large scale but not comparable to 9-11) Port Arthur which was statistically rare resulted in Australia in about 400,000 firearms being handed in (if I recall right), uniform gun laws/licencing across states, the removal of semi-autos, the requirement to keep them in safes etc

So it may be statistically rare, but they tend to be very significant events (which was a point I did make in my previous post, but perhaps not clearly enough).
My point was that removing semi-auto weapons makes it much more difficult to commit mass murder...the most common form in Australia had been with firearms. And this has significance (because of the significance of the events)

After 9-11, Australian authorities keep much tighter control & monitoring of chemicals/equipment that can make bombs - and most businesses that sell such chemicals/equipment, right down to Hardware stores participate. It's a statistically minute area (I think we've only ever had the one bombing here - the Hilton hotel in about 1971 if I recall right), but I think everyone here is glad they do it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should note that domestic 'mass' (more than one) murders (usually murder/suicides) still occur in Australia. I don't think anything will ever fully stop those sort of things from happening.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 09:31 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
There's a difference between statistically minute, and significant.

While you state it is statistically minute (which we both agree too), you appear at the same time to dismiss such events as insignificant (my point being they are significant) :

I am not sure what distinction you are trying to draw between statistical minuteness and statistical significance but in any case I agree with you that the amount of attention and mindshare given to these events is clearly statistically significant, my point is that the loss of life we were talking about is statistically insignificant, much like rounding errors or shark or lightning attacks.

So yeah, number of dead people we are talking about: statistically insignificant. Number of man-hours of attention? Number of headlines? Cultural impact by pretty much any metric? Sure, hugely significant.

No disagreement here.

Quote:
- Mass murders always result in front page news, always result in more anxiety/fear in the community, always result in large degree of grief, and inevitably always result in 'how could we not have seen the signs / how could we have avoided this'

I agree with you and am absolutely sincere (which my hurry might belie) when I say that this is absolutely a very important issue to consider. But the way it's reported can reduce this suffering much more readily than banning guns will. A great deal of the suffering is self-inflicted by society and avoidable here. The madmen and their mass murders are harder to stop than the reverberations of the echo chamber.

Note: I am not advocating those measures, mainly because the ways to do so will have worse side effects than banning guns ever could, but using them as a contrast.

Quote:
- the repercussions of such mass murders can be far reaching. 9-11 (which is statistically minute - to the degree of just once) had huge significance and impact on the US (and also much of the world in terms of Airport Security), and (still large scale but not comparable to 9-11) Port Arthur which was statistically rare resulted in Australia in about 400,000 firearms being handed in (if I recall right), uniform gun laws/licencing across states, the removal of semi-autos, the requirement to keep them in safes etc

I know, and I argue against that those emotive overreactions too.

America has killed many 911's over (even if you ONLY count innocent babies) in the response to 911 than 911 killed, and made two new generations of enemies in two continents and most of this has not made Americans much safer.

The reaction to 911 had some good things (e.g. recognition of use of civilian aircraft as missiles and sealing of the cockpit during flight was a no-brainer) and then a huge amount of overreactive destruction.

Quote:
I should note that domestic 'mass' (more than one) murders (usually murder/suicides) still occur in Australia. I don't think anything will ever fully stop those sort of things from happening.

I agree. They are quite different kinds of crime (in my opinion, this kind of rampage is quite different, in nature, from work and school rampages as well).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:13 pm
@hilbert,
Quote:
Would 300 being shot shot in an incident lead to reform?

Absolutely, if the 300 happened to be sitting in Congress at the time....
0 Replies