What to do about “unintentional” subway gropers

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:13 am
So with my new job, I am now taking public transportation again. Bonus - I’ve been provided free parking as my new company has offices near a subway stop just outside the city so my cost of traveling/parking actually has gone down by $80 a month. Bad news – being with the peons on the subway.
So far it hasn’t been too bad, but yesterday (of course when I had an appointment) – not so good. After waiting a while for the subway – some sort of problem, I finally get on. It is crowded, but I plan myself well so I am away from the doors and situated so that I can hold on, read my book and not touch anyone.
Then at this next stop some huge lady comes on, spies a friend standing near where I am and proceeds to squeeze her sizable body to be near her friend. In the process, rubbing her body up to mine (not just a brush) – it was invasive enough to be considered molesting. I (instead of saying what I wanted – like heh I’ve no interest in sex with you) said excuse me you fat a$$ - no I just said excuse me and got the sympathy eye roll from a woman nearby.
What the heck do you suggest when I get the next opportunity for being molested?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 46,221 • Replies: 42

Rorschach

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 12:38 pm
@Linkat,
Elbow them deep in the ribs and say "excuse me!"

Well that's what I would have done if I was in your situation.

If it gets worse just snap picture on the cell and send it to a transit official. One would guess that the subway systems have aggressive programs to stop sexual assaults on the subway.
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:12 pm
@Rorschach,
I honestly don't think it was sexually, but she was trying to get next to me to see her friend. Her bulk was so large that she really couldn't squeeze past everyone. And I was the unlucky recipient of her groping - she pretty much rubbed up her front side (if it was a guy it would have been his penis) against my butt.

It felt like she was trying to get a quickie or something.
Atom Blitzer

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:21 pm
@Linkat,
I hate behemoths that are grazing all over America, if it makes you feel any better.

It sure is hard as hell to get past them. I think engineers need to super size the public transportation vehicles to meet the demand of the growing trends of fat people in America.
It's nothing personal.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:27 pm
@Linkat,
Spinning back-heel to the chin.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:39 pm
@Linkat,
Wear high heels and keep a lookout for vulnerable insteps.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:40 pm
@DrewDad,
Or keep a banana in your back pocket.
ZREX

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:00 pm
@Linkat,
Just a quick simple thought...move out of the way.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:01 pm
"Ma'am, please, there's just no room here. If you and your friend want to talk, why don't you get off at the next station and talk there, you'll be much more comfortable."
Miller

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:31 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

So with my new job, I am now taking public transportation again. Bonus - I’ve been provided free parking as my new company has offices near a subway stop just outside the city so my cost of traveling/parking actually has gone down by $80 a month. Bad news – being with the peons on the subway.
So far it hasn’t been too bad, but yesterday (of course when I had an appointment) – not so good. After waiting a while for the subway – some sort of problem, I finally get on. It is crowded, but I plan myself well so I am away from the doors and situated so that I can hold on, read my book and not touch anyone.
Then at this next stop some huge lady comes on, spies a friend standing near where I am and proceeds to squeeze her sizable body to be near her friend. In the process, rubbing her body up to mine (not just a brush) – it was invasive enough to be considered molesting. I (instead of saying what I wanted – like heh I’ve no interest in sex with you) said excuse me you fat a$$ - no I just said excuse me and got the sympathy eye roll from a woman nearby.
What the heck do you suggest when I get the next opportunity for being molested?

Time for you to grow up and get used to the Public.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:32 pm
@Rorschach,
Rorschach wrote:

Elbow them deep in the ribs and say "excuse me!"

Well that's what I would have done if I was in your situation.

You do that in Chicago, Rorschach, and you'll be minus some of your critical anatomy.
Rorschach

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:38 pm
@Miller,
Point taken.
I'm an am amateur, for now, in public transit etiquettes.
Miller

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:41 pm
@Rorschach,
Good luck...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:44 pm
Quote:
Bad news – being with the peons on the subway.

Yes, sucks for you to have to rub elbows with the lower classes, eh? How demeaning.

eye
roll

Cycloptichorn
Mame

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:58 pm
I wouldn't call that 'groping' - unintentional or not. And it wouldn't have mattered what her weight was - the point is there just wasn't enough room for her to move past you.

What really bugs me on public transport is when people get on with backpacks. They don't even think of what space that takes up and try getting clipped in the head (I'm short) with one of those. Sometimes I say something, but usually I don't. It is rude, though.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:59 pm
@Mame,
I always swing my backpack around to the front - that way, I can better control the impact in a crowded transit situation.

Cycloptichorn
Mame

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Plus, it's harder to pickpocket (not that you'd be worried about that). Sometimes people just don't think. The other day I was in a crowd (Calgary Stampede) and this guy was holding his umbrella on a diagonal and it kept jabbing me (it was very crowded). I did ask him to hold it upright, which he did, but he just hadn't thought.

And people who exit a building or get off the elevator and decide to stand in front of the doors to have a conversation.... please, people - MOVE OUT OF THE WAY. What a dumb place to have a chat.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:23 pm
@DrewDad,
I like the way you think
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:25 pm
@ZREX,
umm - when you are wall to wall people and there is no where to move, thus why this person had to shove in between and push everyone.

And other than that this person saw a friend, there was really no reason to squish all these other people in her movement.

It is always obvious that you are not being unreasonable when a fellow passenger (not directly impacted by the invasion) rolls their eyes and makes a sympathic comment towards you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 02:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
You are waaay too civil.