Do you do "Black Friday"?

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 05:49 pm
I've never gone shopping on black Friday but I'm considering it this year after finding a really good deal on something Mo wants for Christmas. I have a serious aversion to both shopping and crowds so I've just never done it.

I know some people really look forward to shopping that day, even when they don't have anything in particular in mind.

If you aren't a black Friday shopper -- what kind of deal would it take to get you out of the house?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 19 • Views: 5,140 • Replies: 43
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 05:57 pm
only this kind
martindorans

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:06 pm
@djjd62,
None. Shopping is a crazy antic and the best examples of this are Michael Jackson and Elton John Wink
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:07 pm
@boomerang,
Isnt Black Friday based on the arrest of the Knights Templar ? Surely if you belong to a different religious order you should be safe...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:33 pm
You guys are so silly.

Michal Jackson and Elton John? I'm sure there are millions of girls who outspend them.

Black Friday refers to the Friday after Thanksgiving in America, the biggest shopping day of the year. Stores typically go from "red ink" (deficit) to "black ink" (profit).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:36 pm
@boomerang,
Wild horses and a mean guy with a cattle prod couldn't get me to go near a store on black friday.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 07:04 pm
I do not participate in Black Friday. My mother in her wisdom told me to avoid crowds, when I was a child. She lived long enough, I believe, to have read more than one headline about crowds getting either out of order, or authorities dealing with crowds in a less than gentle manner.

I thought gift giving was supposed to be based on "the thought that counts"?
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 07:08 pm
Boom, it would have to be for a kid.
Even then.

People make trips from here to the States (few hours drive at least) for these sales. And come home with boxes and boxes of Velvetta and shoes and TVs.
I'm not gonna do it. Stay in the hotel room if it has a pool.

Boxing Day too. I send out the minions to do my dirty work.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 07:11 pm
I never shop on Friday, and I am thrilled that "black Friday" is on its way to death. Between liability problems and the fact the recession consumers have nothing but anger for the shady games that retailers pull on Black Friday this fad is almost over.

Good Riddance.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:59 pm
Be careful of queue rage!
Quote:
Visible anger or violence resulting from waiting in line.
After waiting twenty minutes in line at Sears, Maggie went into a queue rage, tossing her garments at the cashiers and exiting the building.

I'm listening to this podcast right now. Very, very relevant!
Quote:
'Dr. Queue' Helps You Avoid Rage In Line

November 24, 2009
Each December, there are stories of holiday shoppers fighting over bargains and getting violent in parking lots. MIT Professor Dick Larson, also known as "Dr. Queue," talks about the psychology of waiting in line, and how to avoid "queue rage" this holiday season.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120769732
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:08 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
If you aren't a black Friday shopper -- what kind of deal would it take to get you out of the house?

Nothing can be that enticing to get me shopping on black Friday. I would
not do it. I hat shopping and do most of it online anyways...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
I like shopping once in a while, but I need to be interested, which is not impossible but has to be earned. I like street markets and international food stores, but that vies with the push pull re expense. Forget it re Black Friday or whatever they call the day after Christmas. I call it stampede.

Three people took me to good garden centers and one museum with good gardens on my trip to California. I had an avaricious personality spike.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:47 pm
gram and I are both stocked for tomorrow. we treat it like a snow day.

no reason to venture out among those fighting for their share of the christmas spirit...
LionTamerX

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:10 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
gram and I are both stocked for tomorrow. we treat it like a snow day.

no reason to venture out among those fighting for their share of the christmas spirit...

Rocky,
you are a sensible fellow.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:24 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:

What Rosborne said. I cannot imagine or visualize any deal that could get me near a store on the day after Thanksgiving. On that one day of the year it's safer if you don't even have to leave the house. I'll probably go down to my local convenience store in the morning, buy the paper, maybe milk if I discover we're short. I'm pretty sure we've got everything else we need right here in the house. The threat of instant death couldn't get me into a Walmart or similar establishment tomorrow.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:29 pm
@mushypancakes,
You have minions? I am impressed.

For myself, if I needed something from Walmart or the other x-boxes between Thanksgiving and January 1, I would get it before 10:00 a.m. or do without.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:42 pm
@roger,
Wally's is open 24 hours here, but if you go in after midnight, somebody will follow you around and ask you if you need any help. a lot...

roger

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:00 am
@Rockhead,
So is ours. The last time I took advantage of it, I had to detour something like 3/4 miles to dodge their restocking operations. I left my cart to look as some shoes in one of those partially blocked aisles. Somebody made off with it, and I had to do the whole thing over. When I checked out, there was my cart, in the front of the store waiting to be put back on the shelves.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 07:30 am
@boomerang,
I went once, when I was visiting Set over an American Thanksgiving. Of course, I didn't really "do" Black Friday, as I didn't go out until about 2 p.m. when the serious shopping warriors were done.

I had a fair bit of fun browsing through the leftovers. Got what turned out to be a favourite pair of pants for $1. Picked up a few other lesser treasures. Fun, but I wouldn't go out of my way to "do" the being-in-a-line-at-3 a.m.-thing.
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 07:44 am
@ehBeth,
Tractor Supply is usually less inviting to the shopikazees. Ill go to their store on Black Friday, cept I dont really have anything I want to get.

I feel like I ought to be going out among the ENglish but Its cold out, the fireplace is nice and toasty, Ive got coffee, Im on the boards, Dogs are snoozing on the rug next to the fire.
NAAAH.
0 Replies