timers

Diane

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:49 pm
Does anyone know if computers come with some kind of alarm clock or timer? There are so many times when I get caught up on a2k, forgetting that I need to make a phone call, etc. I have a Dell PC using Windows XP.

Also, on a2k I no longer get a sound when I receive a PM, even though I indicated I wanted to be notified. How do I address that?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,955 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:59 pm
what email program are you running? Outlook (not express) has a calendar feature that you can program in appointment times, and it will give you a reminder before the event.

You could also try going to www.snapfiles.com and punch in 'alarm clock' in their search. They probably have both freeware and shareware solutions to this kind of problem.

As to no sound for PMs, I dunno.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:45 am
As far as I know there aren't any freeware alarm clocks. However, you could use a kitchen timer, and set it for the exact time you needed to make the call.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:50 am
Diane, I took a look at Tucows, a site that offers downloads for a variety of software and it's reputable to boot.

Here is what I found:

Clocks and Alarms
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:04 am
I also ran This Search at snapfiles.com, and there are plenty of freeware options there. Of course, you're going to get some matches that aren't what you want. Snapfiles, as good as it is, sometimes gives you results it thinks you want, not what you really want.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:08 am
What is snapfiles? Guess I could always go look myself...couldn't I? *L*

caprice <---- lazeeeee!
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:11 am
www.snapfiles.com is an excellent repository of shareware and freeware utilities for Windows PCs. There might be some linux stuff there, and I think they have a small Pocket PC area, too. I get a lot of utilities there, and it seems to be a little better than download.com. Not that I have anything against them, but snapfiles has more stuff, and it's a little more relevant on the searches, I think.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:14 am
Ahh...I see. How long have they been around?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:26 am
1) Freeware Alarm clocks for your PC. I have not tested any of them (I'd not want it using up system resources).

Alarm 1.0 (executable install file)

Peter's Ultimate Alarm Clock (link to download page. BTW, it's free, but without registration comes with a popup nag.)

Daily Alarm Clock 1.0 (link to zip file)

But you don't really need any software installed, an alarm clock is simple enough to program that it can be done in a simple JavaScript. Here is an alarm clock that works with IE. You pick a sound on your computer and that's it.

2) The PM notifications sounds were removed about a year and a half ago. People still ask me about them and I can't figure out why. <shrugs>
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:29 am
Damn! Craven's awake. Guess I'll have to leave now.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:30 am
Give me back my kidney!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 01:32 am
Awake and aware.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 01:56 am
Turner, Caprice and Colorbook, thank you all for your suggestion.

Colorbook, a kitchen timer is the most practical, but I was looking for something more accessible.

From the lists, I chose TimeLeft. Then, I saw Craven's post. Hmmm.... that sounds better. Now I need to decide.

Craven, if you need a new liver, I'll donate part of mine. I seldom drink so even though I'm an old broad, it should see you through for a long time.

Gus, you should be ashamed of yourself if it were possible, but you wouldn't have any idea why, would you? How much time does Craven have???
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 02:07 am
I don't want to get into setting my computer to time, something about that ... bothers my booty. I'll stick with my pear timer, which dings at the three minute mark (as opposed to zero).
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:26 am
Oh Osso, anything that bothers your booty must not be allowed in the house. A pear timer sounds lovely--also, a little the way I am shaped. Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:49 pm
But you're not green, Diane...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:01 pm
No, I'm a very, very ripe pear, becoming more and more pearlike as we speak. Only my eyes are green.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 06:53 pm
MyCorkBoard is free, is fun and has an alarm clock. And it hasn't caused any problems with my computer.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 09:16 pm
I think that Craven's JavaScript alarm clock is very simple and easy to use. Thanks.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:14 pm
Here's cheap way to do it:
1. Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Scheduled Tasks
2. Select "Add Scheduled Task"
3. Use the wizard that comes up to schedule something like oh, I dunno, Solitaire for the time you want.

At that time, Solitaire will pop up.
0 Replies