cavfancier

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 02:18 pm
I love that panzade has an appreciation and knowledge of some serious, not-so-well-known Candaian folk, so another of my faourite Nolan tunes will be posted...now:

"In the summer of 1978 I stayed in a house in Maine that had a widow's walk, a very small room at the top of the house. It looked out over the harbor and had a good view of the boats as they came home. Many years later while thinking about that time, this song materialized. The reference to "silkie" is the legend of the seal-people who have the ability to come on land and live as humans. However, if they return to the water they revert to their original form forever."

THE WIDOW'S WALK
Brendan Nolan

She stood by the window
As the waves crashed the shore
To watch him come home
As he had times before

REFRAIN
Carry him home to me
Break the sea down for him
Carry my love home to me

It's late in the year
And the storm winds awaken
To the hardiest of sailors
The sea does not beckon

REFRAIN

At their shady cove moorings
The small boats rock gently
Safe from the sea winds
Till the new season's plenty

REFRAIN

This room is my refuge
From the toils of the day
It's here I find peace
And it's here I can pray

REFRAIN

If the sea take my love
To his rest in the ocean
God make me a silkie
That I could lie with him.

NOTE: I suppose SealPoets secret is out now....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 02:25 pm
Cav that was breathtakingly beautiful. Now be a good lad and post it in "Songs That Tell A Story"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 02:29 pm
Hmm, I was just there posting some Nick Cave...I will return and copy/paste the Nolan. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:15 pm
I like Cav because he's witty and reasonable.

But mostly because he posted one of, if not the most memorable and interesting piece of prose here: his grandfather's memoirs. What an amazing, fascinating, moving read that was <nods>.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:18 pm
...nimh

Thoughtful, articulate, intelligent, worldly, reasonable, compassionate...I could go on for three pages. I always look forward to reading nimh's posts...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:25 pm
Thanks for the link NIMH I suggest others find a family history to include...this(family history) thread should be kept alive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:54 pm
I don't think I have ever disagreed with nimh, I just watch as he types out what I think, but ne'er mind that as agreement isn't necessary - the opposite can be useful - but I also get a kick out of his personality, the penultimate of thoughtful without lousing it up with any tiny tinge of getalong behavior that would obscure his own view. Quite a fine line to travel, thoughtful and straight.

I think the same about Jer. Jer types shorter posts.
(smiling)

Panzade has arrived at a2k with aplomb, very glad to see him/her.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:08 pm
<blushes>

ossobuco wrote:
I think the same about Jer. Jer types shorter posts.

LOL!

---

I already "did" Ossobucco - so y'all can skip me after this post, too, before I start blushing again ;-)
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:20 pm
This one's about Osso - two above...in keeping with the short post theme:

DELIGHTFUL!

[size=7][/size]edit: changed "to" to "about"
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:23 pm
I enjoy Nimh's posts about all things Europe. And his knowledge of US politics is impressive. I fully expect him to start talking about the 10 electoral college votes from Wisconsin or the 5 from West Virginia.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:41 pm
No! no! not me, not me anymore - its Jer, now! Compliment him on the hilarious brilliance of that Montana vs Slappy wrestling match poster or something!

<giggles>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:47 pm
Snicker.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 08:24 pm
BBB is an EXTREMELY busy, ell informed little A2K bee! Very Happy How does she do it?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:02 pm
BBB
Curiosity, that's what.

BBB
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:49 pm
Or nervous energy, perhaps? Wink

I know I can always count on BBB for "All the News That's Fit to Print." Plus, she can be a real softie.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 11:17 pm
Eva has real southern charm in a wordly kinda way. I always enjoy her refreshing take on everything. The lady has style...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 10:26 am
Thank you, Ceili! That's a real compliment, coming from someone as attractive and witty as you. I love reading your posts.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 10:35 am
I came rushing over here because I saw that Eva was the last poster and I thought "Oh goody I get to compliment Eva!!" I see Ceili has already said it very well. I'll add that I admire her wonderful combination of strength, nurturing (nurture?), and smarts.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 11:04 am
...and i enjoy your interesting, sharp, funny, helpful observations ... more Sozlet stories?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:05 pm
Vivien has a cool avatar and reminds my of the "young ones" when ever I see that name. It's spelled differently, but is a rather unique name.
0 Replies