My First Post = Help!!!

Marts

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:36 am
Hi everyone, my first post here. Have had a good look round first and like what I see Smile

Alas, first post and I am asking for help in solving this !!!

What happens if we ask "If I asked your friend whether this path is safe what would he answer?"

You must consider four cases.
1) Paqoko answering about the safe path.
2) Paqoko answering about the deadly path.
3) Oldiwalla answering about the safe path.
4) Oldiwalla answering about the deadly path.

Work out the pattern for those four and you will see your strategy is obvious.

In this case it is more reliable to try to structure answers based on ( + - ) and ( - + ), than to try to get ( + + ) and ( - - ) if you see what I mean.

Many thanks - Marts
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 950 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:28 am
Hey, Marts. Welcome to A2K. I think that riddle has something to do with the fact that one friend always lies, and one friend always tells the truth, but I may be thinking of something similar.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:43 am
Welcome Marts,

Read this carefully I think this is what you are looking for

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13281&highlight=i+left+path+right+path
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:48 am
That's the one that I was recalling, Kev. Get 'em while they're hot. Marts. Kev's riddle, fresh off the griddle. Razz
0 Replies

Marts

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:34 pm
Many thanks guys, both for the welcome and the solution to the riddle. Ahhh can sleep peacefully tonight :wink:

Ciao ciao - Marts

PS - kev - I too am from white rose Yorkshire Laughing
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 08:06 pm
letty, did u know it?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:33 pm
Yes, I know it, Kevin of Toronto, but I'll have to sleep on it. Just got through with the most delicious conversation about every subject imaginable. Brain tired, but the answer lies somewhere in asking the right question to the right brother, then doing the opposite. Ain't much a riddle to that when one thinks about it. Smile

Goodnight from Florida.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:39 pm
I have to disagree with everyone. Asking one twin, "If I ask you if this is the safe road, will you say yes" will produce the desired result. You don't need to bring up their twin in the question. Making the statement subjunctive leaves one more thing the twins will either lie about or tell the truth about, thereby reversing the liar's answer, but retaining the honest man's response. It's like powers, with negetive and positive numbers -- it flips every other time around, so if I were to say "If I asked you what you would say if I asked if this is the safe road would you say yes?", you would again recieve inconclusive results. Throwing the phrase further subjunctive would solve it again, and so forth.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:29 am
One twin always lies and the other twin always tells the truth.

Ask the one who always tells the truth, " What path will your brother say to take."?

Then whatever the truthful twin says, take the opposite road.

Hope that clears everything up.

Incidentally, SCoates, Welcome to A2K Razz
0 Replies