Tracing IP

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 08:42 am
how do I trace a person/computer after knowing his/its IP number??

can anybody help me??

like where he is from, which city, which neighborhood etc.......as close as can be possible
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,408 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Monger

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 08:52 am
Running a whois query on the IP might tell you who owns it. You can run a graphical traceroute here: www.webhits.de/visualroute/ ...unless the person was using their own static IP the closest trace that'll be possible is where their ISP is located (which would usually be in their town).

Course, if they were connecting through a proxy server located in a different country, it would be difficult to learn much of anything that's helpful.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 01:18 pm
thanks that was reak helpful

now suppose if i dont know the IP number, how do i go about tracing people.........like can you trace me from my post in this forum?
if yes how do u do it?
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:58 pm
you need the IP or DNS. If it's not a static IP you could still find the IP range and contact the ISP if their is a problem, there DHCP will have a list of who was assigned that IP.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:12 pm
crucifixation wrote:
can you trace me from my post in this forum?

No, because unlike some forums a2k doesn't reveal your IP or DNS to members.

Administrators can see it though.

If someone visited your own website, the info would be in your server's log files.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 03:56 am
okay now if i have a free hosting websites??

can i know ??

how do i look my server log files???
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:55 am
Monger, could I suggest care in answering any more of these questions!
0 Replies

Bacon

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 10:44 am
Ok you can't just call an ISP and say, 'hi whats 203.15.156.2s home address please'.

Your IP is left all over the internet, however mostly the public cant get to it. Whenever you go to a website, your IP is sent to the server so the data can be sent back, everytime you use TCP/IP your IP ironicly gets sent.

Tracing someone, like say by the FBI, isn't a simple process. You can't just Do It. Even if you have a persons IP. An ISP will not give out the details of that IP unless you were a law enforcement agency or similiar.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 11:35 am
crucifixation, some free hosts restrict access to server traffic logs. Besides, it's not like you would be able to determine which IP addresses belonged to whom by simply looking over data in raw log files.

Here is webmonkey's "log file lowdown" (I haven't looked over it so I'm not sure how helpful it is).

---
Wilso, so far this has all been very basic, general information about how the Web works. Might I ask what problem you have?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:33 pm
Paranoia.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:40 pm
yes thanks i will check on that when i have time

btw i am not going to do any wrong stuff with that IP tracing
i know nothing about it and i was just asking questions and trying to learn as much as i can .....thats all
0 Replies