Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 09:11 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Isn't that the way the Brits say it?

Maybe.
spendius

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 09:13 am
@joefromchicago,
Now you're answering questions Joe and you said it was completely unacceptable.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 10:17 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
You seem to be operating on the notion that I want this conversation to go forward and that I will work with you to make sure that it does.

Not at all, Joe. I'm operating on the principle of calling out those who describe silly notions about English. You certainly qualify there. I believe, firmly, that you do not want this conversation to go forward. That's evident from all your tangents, from you refusal to actually address the issue that, note, Joe, YOU RAISED.

Quote:
Furthermore, I am quite confident that you are much more eager to interact with me -- or, for that matter, anyone -- on this board than I am interested in interacting with you.

I'm not really interested in interacting with you at all, Joe. It's not all that enjoyable trying to sort out your dissembling.

I'm just not willing to let someone advance ludicrous notions about language.

As for interaction, there's been none from you. You advanced that ludicrous idea without ever offering anything in the way of proof. You fell back immediately to your lawyering ways, twisting everything in order to avoid the issue. It must have been because you have realized just how dumb that prescription is.

This might lead one to think that you are doing this just to be malicious considering how inane the idea is. You can rest assured that there aren't many, [any? besides Eva] who agree with you because there are many who would love to set me straight about language.

This would even be something that could draw Setanta or Tico out of their little holes.

Suffice it to say that JoefromChicago, previously thought to have some smarts about English and language, is just another silly prescriptivist. A prescriptivist who is comfortable wallowing in his own ignorance.
contrex

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 11:26 am
@spendius,
(to the joefromchicago creature)
spendius wrote:

Well **** off then you pompous oaf.

Well said. +1
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 11:56 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
I'm not really interested in interacting with you at all, Joe.

Then we are done here.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:28 pm
The world is filled with hatred and intolerance...and perhaps A2K gives us some insights into why that is the case.

It is rather sad, actually.

But so very human.
JTT

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 02:32 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Then we are done here.

Not completely, Joe. I think that you owe people an explanation for your prescription.

I just want to let everyone know, especially ESL/EFLs, that they should regard any advice that you offer on language with suspicion.

You've proven that you can mouth empty prescriptions but your explanation pouch is empty.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Those things are sad, Frank.

What's equally sad is your [and others here] complete inability to face up to your own errors, to face fact situations, to accept personal responsibility for your mistakes.

I'm happy to see a kinder and gentler Frank Apisa come back to A2K, especially for your own sake, but what of honesty, integrity, a willingness to face the facts.

A2K certainly has provided a wide window to the foibles of those who call themselves adults, the ones that help Gracie along but quickly revert to ears plugged - lalalalalalal as soon as they encounter disturbing realities.

Is this signature line in any way familiar to you, Frank?

To acknowledge what you do not know – is a display of strength. To pretend you know what you truly don’t –is a display of weakness.
contrex

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:55 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
To acknowledge what you do not know – is a display of strength. To pretend you know what you truly don’t –is a display of weakness.

Also on a practical level, in any enterprise, or life itself, the former will help you succeed, whereas the latter will doom you to failure.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 04:37 pm
@contrex,
That is my tag line, Contrex...and I agree with you about the practical level.

I always acknowledge what I do not know...and I try never to pretend to I know the stuff I do not know.
JTT

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 04:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I always acknowledge what I do not know...and I try never to pretend to I know the stuff I do not know.

I don't mean to be unkind, Frank, I truly don't, but you've just, pointedly, lied to us all.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 05:16 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I don't mean to be unkind, Frank, I truly don't, but you've just, pointedly, lied to us all.

I accept that you did not "mean to be unkind", JTT...and I do not think you were. You were merely saying what you supposed to be the truth.

I respectfully suggest that you are incorrect. I did not lie...pointedly or otherwise.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 05:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
This contretemps between Frank the Inverterate and JTT the Endless Insistent is amusing for a post or two.

I hope you two don't go on about it.

JTT

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 05:57 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You were merely saying what you supposed to be the truth.

I respectfully suggest that you are incorrect. I did not lie...pointedly or otherwise.

[Same qualifications as in my previous post to you, Frank]

Not supposed, Frank, know, unequivocably. You do not [consciously] know or understand how English works - your posts illustrate that clearly and yet you hold as your signature line,

To acknowledge what you do not know –is a display of strength.

Now this is either a lie on your part, a heaping, tall order of hypocrisy or a serious disconnect from reality.

To pretend you know what you truly don’t – is a display of weakness.

You still haven't apologized to Joe England or H2oMan for that matter.

Setanta does this sometimes too. If I remember correctly, he's even done it within the same posting.
JTT

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Can I get you some more peanuts, Osso?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 06:58 pm
@JTT,
You've got to stop declaring victory all the time, JTT.

I am not lying...so you cannot possibly know that I am.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 06:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
This contretemps between Frank the Inverterate and JTT the Endless Insistent is amusing for a post or two.

I hope you two don't go on about it.

Question if I may, Ossobuco.

Do you really want the give and take stopped...and if so, why?
JTT

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I am not lying...so you cannot possibly know that I am.

That only leaves two choices, Frank.

"... a heaping, tall order of hypocrisy or a serious disconnect from reality".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yes, as it it is endlessly repetitive. We all get points of view but they go on forever and ever and ever.

Can neither of you ever shut up?

I often agree with one or the other of you, but that is not like agreeing with a person, it is like agreeing with an automaton.

JTT

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You've got to stop declaring victory all the time, JTT.

I wasn't declaring any victory, Frank. I don't hope to be "victorious".

I just want you to bring yourself up to speed on how English/languages work. [It's really not all that difficult]

I just want you to stop spreading falsehoods about English.

I just want you to not continue to appear the fool when you proffer advice about English.

This is all very much in keeping with your project to help all address each other with respect.