izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 03:21 am
@farmerman,
It's 14 imperial pounds actually, you did explain why America decided to be a bit contrary about weights and measures on another thread.

We think of a person's weight in stones not pounds, hearing someones weight in kilogrammes means nothing to me, and I have to convert it.

A stone is also slang for a testicle, and I thought Frank may tell us how he only ended up with one.

Btw Bird also refers to time spent in prison. As in the phrase, 'Before I got a job with Fox News I did a bit of bird in Pentonville.'
spendius

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 03:43 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Only eagle eye Eva noticed it,

The "only" is false.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 03:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Way to rain on Frank's parade, Farmer.

I do not think Farmerman was trying to "rain on my parade"...but if someone where to try to rain on anyone's parade, why would you applaud it?

Is that what you see as commendable in life...to rain on other people's parade?

Do you not see how childish that is?

To say "Way to... [something]" is to accuse, not commend. Even here in Europe we know that.
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 04:07 am
@izzythepush,
I kove those items that distinguish our individual dialects.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 04:09 am
@farmerman,
Me too. 'Vive la difference,' as the French would say.
contrex

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 04:14 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Me too. 'Vive la difference,' as the French would say.

or even vive la différence...
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 04:20 am
@contrex,
I don't know how to do accents on my computer, or that weird thing that looks like a 5 that the French like to stick under Cs.
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 04:26 am
@izzythepush,
thats whgy most Americans wouldnt eat a "Spotted Dick". We are all homophobes pver here.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 04:31 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I don't know how to do accents on my computer, or that weird thing that looks like a 5 that the French like to stick under Cs.

... a cedilla.

On a Windows machine you can use the ALT key plus the numeric keypad e.g. hold down ALT and at the same time type 130 on the keypad to get e acute (é)

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/altchrc.html

Or if you are feeling lazy you can just Google for a page in that language (Le Monde is handy) and just copy-and-paste the character(s) you need. I use El País for Spanish stuff like upside down question marks ¿Qué le ocurre a estos personajes?

JTT

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 05:32 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I learned the grammar rules in grammar school.

That explains your appalling ignorance on language, Frank.

Quote:
But any dating is mostly inconsequential except to anal people who obsess over it.

Anal folks like you, Frank, who tried to correct H2oman`s natural English usage. Anal folk like you who tried to correct Joe English`s natural English usage. You obsess over it because that`s all you can offer as proof for your grammar school nonsense.

You still haven`t addressed Professor Pullum`s complete and totally accurate smackdown of your inane grade school grammar, Frank. Why would that be.
JTT

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 05:47 am
@contrex,
Can one turn on and turn off these items on a Windows computer, CÉ

Notice my question mark and,

`backward single quote

`that`s double quotes

^that`s a square bracket

¨that`s a closing square bracket

These `foreign`symbols appear after I hit some unknown keys.
contrex

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:18 am
@JTT,
Huh? Not clear what you were intending, but this is what I see

Firefox 13, Windows 7 64 bit, UK locale settings

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/JTT-Capture.jpg

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:28 am
@JTT,
Can one turn on and turn off these items on a Windows computer, CÉ

Notice my question mark and,

it's the E with an accent grave or accent eguile [sp?] over it. Now ? is okay after a shutdown/startup; everything is back to normal

All the rest of these foreign symbols are at the start of the following sentences which describe what I sometimes get when I hit some unknown keys.

` backward single quote, normal is '

` that`s double quotes, normal is "

^ that`s a square bracket, normal is [

¨ that`s a closing square bracket, normal is ]

Again, these `foreign`symbols appear after I hit some unknown keys.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:59 am
Possibly you need a new keyboard.
JTT

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:10 pm
@contrex,
No, that's definitely not it, C. It's fine now.

? / : ; [ ] " '

There must be some combination of keys that puts a western keyboard in foreign mode.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:53 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
That explains your appalling ignorance on language, Frank.

I'll allow that Frank's language expression accomplishment is not of a standard that I would wish but he can by no stretch be said to display appalling ignorance. A grammar school can only do so much.

I can't say that I've noticed anything particularly exceptional about your style either JTT. They say, so I have read, that those closest to each other in any hierarchy squabble the most.

JTT

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 02:22 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
A grammar school can only do so much.

Frank is long past that and even now that he knows better, he still displays this appalling ignorance.

Quote:
I can't say that I've noticed anything particularly exceptional about your style either JTT.

A plain style is more than enough to explain the idiocy that is to be found in prescriptions. But come on, Spendi, this from a guy whose writing is just one confusion heaped on the next.

spendius

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 03:09 pm
@JTT,
He's an agnostic which means he doesn't know what to think.

He's not in the least confused about what a great guy he is.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:25 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
Well, the early 90s were 20 years ago; in any case 'birds' is decidedly old-fashioned, quaint, even.

Hmmm. Tonight I've been watching Season One of the British sitcom "The Inbetweeners" on Netflix (2008), centered around the lives of a bunch of suburban teenagers, and "bird" is used frequently to refer to girls by the "teenaged" boys on the show.

They also use phrases like: "brilliant," "mate," "posh," "bent," "fit," "right fit bird," "wanker," "taking a piss," "pissed," "dodgy," "don't be a tit," "crisps," and "bollocks."
McTag

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 12:09 am
@Ticomaya,

Hey Tico. How're YOU doin'?

You dipstick.