Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5031449)
Frank,
Will reveal your opinion of intellectuals ?

Do u believe that people shud employ their intellects ?

Yeah, David, I think people should employ their intellect. We all have varying degrees of intellect...and I think most people try to use what brains they have to best advantage. I think there are some people who may not be "intellectuals" (in any sense of that word), but who are street smart and are able to get through the process of living quite nicely.
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
An intellectual is somebody who disinfects himself from subjectivity. Or seriously attempts to. Some say it can't be done.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 04:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I am quite proficient at it;

You are not Frank I'm afraid. I'm not so hot myself but you are very average. What do you know about "voiceless non-sibilant fricatives" or "breathy voiced lateral affricates" and how such things arouse the motor erective reflex?
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 04:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I handle myself more than adequately.

Congratulations.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 04:07 am
@spendius,
Quote:
You are not Frank I'm afraid. I'm not so hot myself but you are very average. What do you know about "voiceless non-sibilant fricatives" or "breathy voiced lateral affricates" and how such things arouse the motor erective reflex?

Hummm..."very average."

Interesting construct!

spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 04:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
.and I try never to pretend to I know the stuff I do not know.

Trying does not always result in succeeding.

If your statement is true you really are a very unusual and very special person. You don't seem to know yourself all that well Frank.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 04:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
Are you calling Spendi outdated? Surely it should be average to the max.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 09:26 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Trying does not always result in succeeding.

If your statement is true you really are a very unusual and very special person. You don't seem to know yourself all that well Frank.

I think I know myself very well, Spendius. I do try never to pretend I know stuff I do not know.

If you have an example of something I say I know that you think I do not know...I will discuss it and retract it if you make a good case.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 09:29 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Are you calling Spendi outdated? Surely it should be average to the max.

I would never do that, Izzy. It just seems to my ear that "average" is enough without the modifiers. You know how it is with the ole goats like me!
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 09:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
I totally, radically agree with you to the max, old school.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I think I know myself very well, Spendius. I do try never to pretend I know stuff I do not know.

If you have an example of something I say I know that you think I do not know...I will discuss it and retract it if you make a good case.

You do not know the difference between trying and succeeding and that is the second time that you have pretended that you do. It is a pretence that you include the word "try" and hope that we don't notice and to include the word suggests that you know we won't. And you didn't know we wouldn't.

I bet you have pretended that you were the answer to a matron's prayers without knowing whether you were.
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
I think "very average" was the correct expression for the meaning I was attempting to convey. "Very ******* average" is a bit better.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:37 am
@spendius,
Quote:
You do not know the difference between trying and succeeding and that is the second time that you have pretended that you do.

I do know the difference, so there is no need for me to pretend that I do.

Quote:
It is a pretence that you include the word "try" and hope that we don't notice and to include the word suggests that you know we won't. And you didn't know we wouldn't.

I guess that paragraph made sense to you. I do not know that it did...and I would not pretend that I do, but to me it was gibberish.
Quote:

I bet you have pretended that you were the answer to a matron's prayers without knowing whether you were.

I have no control over what kind of bets you would make, but from the sound of things, you would lose money when betting on what you suppose about me.

I must say that I love it when you are in a cranky mood, Spendius. You are so much more interesting than when you are trying to be reasonable.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 11:38 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I think "very average" was the correct expression for the meaning I was attempting to convey. "Very ******* average" is a bit better.

That entire comment got a bit ludicrous after the words, "I think..."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 01:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But we ARE discussing language, JTT. Right here.

Haven't you noticed?

Another good illustration that you really know little about language, Frank. You simply repeat silly prescriptions, now you are doing it tentatively which is another illustration of how little you know.

Quote:
I was not wrong in what I said about language in this thread. Why are you saying it was a falsehood?

Because you are wrong in what you wrote, below, and what you agreed with with Roberta, who is also wrong. For heaven's sakes, Frank, you haven't given this a moment's thought. You're simply repeating something you were taught in school or something you picked up later in life.

You haven't made any attempt to explain the prescription because you can't, so you go off on the same silly tangents that Joe did when he found himself stumped. There is nothing that supports this nonsense you raise, but I urge you to mount a defense for it.

Quote:
Frank wrote:Your first clause gives pause. The word "their" is probably incorrect...and the "they" in the second clause also seems incorrect.

Show that what you said isn't a falsehood, Frank.

Quote:
I suggest that this comment of yours is hyperbole. I've told you a million times not to do that, JTT.

I know, Frank. That's what you do instead of addressing the issues. You do that on language and you do that on issues relating to US war crimes/terrorism.

Quote:
Gosh, how do you know the size of the books I have available to me?

That's easy, Frank. You have offered on language exactly what those books offer, nothing.

Quote:
Oops. Didn't realize you were going to change your mind so quickly. Forget about the links.

That's funny, Frank. You are going to tackle the modal verbs why? So you can weasel your way out of this jam you're in.

Just show that what you said in this thread isn't a falsehood, Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 02:40 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Just show that what you said in this thread isn't a falsehood, Frank.

Okay.

Joe asked:

"…but I'd like to make sure I've got my grammar straight."

Here is what I wrote:

Quote:
I don't think you do.

That is NOT a falsehood. I honestly do not think Joe has his grammar straight here in the citation which generated his question.

Then I wrote:

Quote:
The period would be incorrect; the comma is correct...and I think a colon would also work, although the comma is preferred.

And the period in the citation would be incorrect; the comma would be correct…and I do think a colon would work also…although I also think the comma would be preferred.

So that is NOT a falsehood.

I then noted:

Quote:
Your first clause gives pause. The word "their" is probably incorrect...and the "they" in the second clause also seems incorrect.

This was Joe’s first clause.

"Someone's asked me to proofread their work, but they have a habit of always leading into quotes with commas. "

I can assure you that this clause did give me pause. That most assuredly is NOT a falsehood.

And it is my opinion that the word “their” as used in that clause is probably incorrect…and that the “they” as used in that clause is probably incorrect also.

Now, I may be incorrect on some of these things. I do not like to pretend I am an expert where I am not an expert, so I was as circumspect as possible…using all sorts of qualifiers that expressed uncertainty. My object was to suggest their might be a grammar problem in the areas I mentioned…and that Joe ought to at least consider further investigation.

Anything else I can help you with, JTT?
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:21 pm
@JTT,
Look JT--you don't know all that much about language. Neither do I. But I know that I don't. I have David Crystal's The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language and it is amazing. Way past Quantum Physics.

A lawyer's language is necessarily prescriptivist. To an extent gang languages are. Formalised if the gang is a unified political entity. There's a drift towards informalism as creativity increases and in the flow of it anything goes more and more.

There is no position of certainty because pure informalism can be prescriptive.

The audience is what matters when we communicate.

spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
But Frank "…but I'd like to make sure I've got my grammar straight." is not a claim to the grammar being straight. It is a claim to like getting it straight.

And you cannot say what Joe likes or doesn't like. You can't say "I don't think you do". Well- you can of course. You did do. You shouldn't is better.

It's the same with the "try".
farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 03:54 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
The audience is what matters when we communicate

Big huge IRONY button required here.
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
That's just your take fm. Confusing your take with that of everybody else is your BIG MISTAKE.

I don't even try to communicate with the likes of you. You're out of reach of incoming.

Leslie Neilson portrayed the type but the real thing is much more amusing.

My audience are not dumbasses like yours is.
0 Replies