HELP! Descartes and Kant: The Meaning of Life

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 02:02 pm
Hi there!
Thank you so much for reading this post!
I hope that you can help me--- I so struggle with philosophy.
I am writing a paper (due soon) and the prompt is "The Meaning of Life" from the perspective of Descartes and Kant.
I am being prompted to write from a rationalist perspective, but I really struggle with philosophy.
I have read countless things online and checked out more books from the library than I can shake a stick at.
From your perspective, what would these individuals say the meaning of life is?

(Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help!)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,724 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Jessicaaellaa

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 02:23 pm
@happyhappa,
from what i have learnt (only A level) for Kant, the meaning of life is all to do with becoming a good person, in yourself, not as a means to an end, if you read his principles as part of Kantian Deontology, you will see what he is getting at, also in the critique of pure reason he talks about achieving the "summum bonum" achievable only in the after life, i think it reflects Plato's Archetypes. Hope that helps somewhat, i know its a bit vague, but as i said, only A level.
Good Luck
happyhappa

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:45 pm
@Jessicaaellaa,
Thank you so much for your response. I am actually a psychology student and have never had a philosophy class and I am finding it so hard to understand. Your response has really helped to give me something else to think about and to read about and I really, truly appreciate you!
Does anyone else have any other thoughts?

0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 08:33 pm
@happyhappa,
Why don't you take a second to realize that writing a paper only with the hopes of gaining the approval of some self-proclaimed 'authority' figure has absolutely nothing to offer you?

Why make the pre-supposition that this paper ought to be done?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:17 pm
@JPLosman0711,
...that is just sick ! She doesn't have a direct good reason its true but she has a valid reason nonetheless and one that later may inspire a good reason to come along...
0 Replies

Kibzdruid

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2012 12:13 am
@happyhappa,
hi happyhappa.i know of a good book by Robert L.Arrington called Philosophers.i recommend it coz its concise and makes a good effort to deal with the vagueness associated with philosophy writings.Being Jesuit schooled Descartes was pre-occupied with developing the Unification theory.Tohim life was to be grounded in metaphysics and knowledge with certainity unlike the predominant opinionated systems of learning that reigned.get the book its a free ebook.could do u good
0 Replies