Health insurance through AARP?

Carla1

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 01:18 am
My grandparents have decided to change their supplemental insurance (they are currently covered my medicare +supplement). There have been a few issues with the supplemental leading to them wanting to change. First question, grandma (age 90) had a stroke recently (resulting in her spending the last 2 months in a nursing home) and has alzheimer's. What kind of problems does this pose for changing supplemental coverage? Second, the family would like to move grandparents to Florida (closer to large portion of the family and one person could live with them). So, insurance would have to be usable down there. Current supplement, is not usable in Florida. Finally, we are looking at AARP insurance. It looks like this is provided through United Healthcare. What experiences have people had using this type of coverage? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,640 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 02:36 am
@Carla1,
I never had an AARP policy, and in fact, canceled the membership - more for political reasons than anything else.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Medicare plans lettered A through F, G, and whatever all give the same coverage. That is, all plans A are the same as any other and all plans F are the same as any other plan F. Don't know if that helps any at all, or not.

As for someone being able to live with, and care for an Alzheimer's patient, I know a few who have done it. If anyone tries it, they should definately plan on professional help that can come in and provide a few hours relief from time to time.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 01:20 pm
@Carla1,
My mother has a supplemental Medicare plan through AARP/United Health Care, and she has had this coverage for many years. She has always had one of the more expensive plans and, over many years, various medical problems and procedures, and numerous hospitalizations, her out-of-pocket expenses have been nil to negligible, and all of her medical expenses have been covered without question.

Your grandmother's current health problems should not affect her ability to obtain this coverage.

Pretty much, your grandparents can select any of the plans that suit their needs and that they can afford. I would recommend United Heath Care based on my mother's experience with them.

You can check out Medigap policies in Florida here--just enter any Florida zip code.
http://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/medigap-home.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

roger

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 01:56 pm
@firefly,
True about coverage. I did check out AARP's policy, and all they asked regarding medical issues involved end stage renal failure.
0 Replies