dynamic and static links

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 02:49 pm
I'm looking for a script to have a links directory on my site. The one I have now doesn't display the url it just gives a dynamic link that when you click on it it brings you to the site. I'm looking for something that has the url on it along with the description and title, like google or yahoo does. Does it matter if the link is the actual url or a dynamic link that leads to the site? Do search engines care about that? And can anyone recommend a free script for that? I found one or two, but it's not too impressive. I'm experimenting with phpadsnew, but that doesn't have a directory.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,304 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 02:56 pm
Re: dynamic and static links
khisanthax wrote:
Does it matter if the link is the actual url or a dynamic link that leads to the site?

For SEO purposes plain links are best. The redirect might not be followed for one.

There are many other small reasons.

Quote:
And can anyone recommend a free script for that? I found one or two, but it's not too impressive.

As far as I know there are none. All the semi-decent scripts I know of use a redirect to count the "hit".

What I suggest is that you modify an existing script to pull the plain URL from the database.

Quote:
I'm experimenting with phpadsnew, but that doesn't have a directory.

phpadsnew is an ad server.

What you are looking for would be found under queries like:

portal (but you'll get lots of CMS results)
directory
link management
link indexing

A free one I was looking at in the past (but never used) is LinksCaffe

The only other semi-decent free PHP script of this variety that I know of is PHP Links

If you want to mess around in Perl I know of another free one, but it uses flatfiles instead of a database, and flatfile databases are not very stable or scalable.

Note that all of these use a redirect. But this could probably easily be modified (I've never used this software, only evaluated it. So I do not know how and would probably not have time to look at their code).
0 Replies

khisanthax

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:18 pm
yeah, I was looking at linkscaffe, but it uses redirects and it's not a huge deal but I not only want visitors to click on it but want spyders to see it as well.

I mentioned phpadsnew because it can setup rotating text links if I'm not mistaken.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:52 pm
Yes, linkscaffe uses a redirect. Thing is, most directory scripts of any quality will. So that's why I advise that you strip the redirect from an existing script.
0 Replies