what's the average......

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 02:37 pm
time a person should walk on a rountine basis? I heard 20 minutes, but i dunno. I've just started working out again and this time I want to follow more of a program. And Damn is my body ever sore. No pain, no game.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 895 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:31 pm
Twenty minutes is better than nothing.

The minimum under the old rules was 30 minutes of exercise a day.

Then "They" raised the bar: 60 minutes is recommended at least three times a week.

Several bursts of 5 or 10 minutes of action a day are acceptable.

But any exercise is better than no exercise.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:35 pm
Depends on how long you can do it for at first. Depending on how fit you are...you may want to start with a shorter time, and as you get comfortable bump up the time.

And the saying is "no pain, no gain," which isn't necessarily a great line to go by.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:39 pm
The body does go into different metabolic states as exercise progresses, and these will have different results. The folk wisdom I've always got is that you start to burn stored calories after 20 minutes or so of aerobic exercise, but I don't really put much credence in that. In general, though, if you're out of shape to begin with it's probably better to exercise less vigorously for a longer time than kill yourself for a few minutes. The heart is the most important thing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 03:48 pm
I do about 1/2 hour of weights and 1/2 hour of cardio work three or more times a week. I haven't lost any weight, but I do feel better since taking up this routine.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:41 pm
Well I definatly have a great body physically, but the inside is out of shape. I've been walkin for 20 minutes everyday, and lifting weights for probably around a half an hour as well. What kinds of foods do you suggest eating?

Ohh and thanks for clearing that up slappy! And thanks for all the comments/advise everyone.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:45 pm
Slappy is right that delayed onset muscle soarness is not always a good thing.....actually it means very little.

you have to make sure you do your cardio on sperate days as it will efect muscle gain and actually be detramental otherwise.

how long you should do cardio depends on many things like BMI, vo2max, your goals and general fitness shape.

your diet depends on body type, once again your goals, your activity lvl, and weight.
0 Replies