Louisiana Private Schools Teach Loch Ness Monster Is Real In Effort To Disprove Evolution Theory

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 02:00 pm
Louisiana Private Schools Teach Loch Ness Monster Is Real In Effort To Disprove Evolution Theory
The Huffington Post By Laura Hibbard
06/25/2012

Some students at private schools in Louisiana are being taught that Scotland's fabled Loch Ness monster is real, a claim that is then held as evidence disproving Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, the Scotsman reports.

Thousands of students across the state are eligible to receive publicly funded vouchers to allow them to attend private Christian schools where textbooks published by Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) claim the monster was actually a dinosaur that existed at the same time as man, an assertion which conflicts with the theory of evolution.

The Times Educational Supplement, a British publication for teachers, published an article in 2009 that included an excerpt from Accelerated Christian Education's Biology 1099 textbook, which was published in 1995:

Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence. Have you heard of the `Loch Ness Monster' in Scotland? `Nessie,' for short has been recorded on sonar from a small submarine, described by eyewitnesses, and photographed by others. Nessie appears to be a plesiosaur.

Could a fish have developed into a dinosaur? As astonishing as it may seem, many evolutionists theorize that fish evolved into amphibians and amphibians into reptiles. This gradual change from fish to reptiles has no scientific basis. No transitional fossils have been or ever will be discovered because God created each type of fish, amphibian, and reptile as separate, unique animals. Any similarities that exist among them are due to the fact that one Master Craftsmen fashioned them all."

Loch Ness monster tour guide Tony Drummond, 47, told the Scottish Sun the curriculum is "ridiculous propaganda."

And Bruce Wilson, a researcher specializing in the American political religious right, told the Scotsman that one of the texts also claims "dinosaurs were fire-breathing dragons."

"It has little to do with science as we currently understand. It’s more like medieval scholasticism," Wilson told the paper.

According to Scotland's the Herald, one of the textbooks also provides a somewhat controversial look at the Ku Klux Klan.

"The [Ku Klux] Klan in some areas of the country tried to be a means of reform, fighting the decline in morality and using the symbol of the cross ... In some communities it achieved a certain respectability as it worked with politicians," the textbook reads, according to the Herald.

gungasnake

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 02:23 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
ANYBODY who grows up not believing in evolution, for ANY reason, is going to have a competitive advantage over all of the suckers in his generation who DO believe in evolution, i.e. he or she will be less easily flimflammed or hoodwinked by other scams, cons, and bullshit.

It doesn't even matter what the reason is, the child could grow up believing in the Loch Ness monster or the great pumpkin or Rastfari or take your pick, ALL of those things are better than a brain-dead ideological doctrine which has been repeatedly disproved and which teaches man to view his neighbors as meat byproducts of random events.
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 02:31 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:

ANYBODY who grows up not believing in evolution, for ANY reason, is going to have a competitive advantage over all of the suckers in his generation who DO believe in evolution, i.e. he or she will be less easily flimflammed or hoodwinked by other scams, cons, and bullshit.

I see theyd have a distinct advantage as a carney goon. We dont "believe in" evolution. Evolution is a fact It is demonstrated by all the evidence and NO evidence refutes it.. We dont "beleive " that yeast will ferment grape juice, one can prove it and thus it too is a fact.

Whereas, one does "believe" in the loch Ness monster as there is no existing evidence other than a seris of dubiously produced photos with no scale by which even to compre sizes.

"Beleive" wht you wish gunga, youre the brain dead .
raprap

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 03:21 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I would hope that no graduate of any of these private schools would be admitted to any medical school or issued any form of state medical license until they had demonstrated that they had accrued a biology education that had accredited instructors and textbooks.

Rap
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 03:34 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Let me get this straight. Should it be proved that the Loch Ness thingy is real, then that would be proof that evolution is a sham. Right? Wow. The guys who thought that one up must have aced their logic courses.
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 03:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
even if Nessie were real, it wouldnt negate anything. There are several hundred species out there that have hung on since the Paleozoic.(horseshoe crabs, amphioxus, horn algae, ALL pine trees, etc etc) Many species, like horseshoe crabs, have just adapted to such a wide rage of environments that theyve remained pretty much what they looked like in the Mesozoic.
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:27 pm
Coelacanth
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:42 pm
@Setanta,
Remember,If Coele canth, Bela Mite
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:52 pm
@farmerman,
And diversity within a genus---because of the extensive cave systems in Kentucky that provide relatively small and isolated environs there are almost 100 different species of Crayfish/Crawdad.

Rap
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 07:08 pm
@farmerman,
Yes, that was my point, farmer. If it turned out that Nessie was more than a wisp of some Scostmen's overwrought imagination, all that proves is some species from the Jurassic and pre-Jurassic managed to survive into the present day. Hardly evidence of anything.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 09:20 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Actually it's proof that Darwin was right, any species which is able to cope with changes to its environment will survive.

Joe(Way to go, Nessie)Nation
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 01:30 am
I've already seen how this works out, you drain the loch then put him to work in Las Vegas.

Hands off our monster.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 03:59 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
It's a private school so I guess they can teach whatever they want. Unfortunately it sounds like public tax dollars are being spent for vouchers to send kids there. This is the core problem with the voucher system.
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 04:19 am
@rosborne979,
The most egregious abuse of the voucher system that i've ever heard of was in Ohio. Some children lived on an island in Lake Erie. Most children took a ferry to the mainland rode a bus to a public school. But the parents of one family successfully lobbied for voucher payments to fly their children to a private, religious school of their denomination.
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 04:34 am
@Setanta,
Usually, the charter or parochial schools must still meet a proficiency standard. SO, in all of these schools where they teach the bullshit science, they must still provide the basics for doing the tests. This includes parochial schools where the states provide some assistance in bussing the students and in athletics.
The larger denominational parochial schools like the CAtholic or Lutheran, dont give a **** cause they teach "REAL" science , not some version of gungasmoke.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 04:43 am
Nevertheless, as an Ohio taxpayer, i was pretty p.o.'d to think of how much it cost to charter a private plane everyday to fly the little perishers off to their Jesus school.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 04:52 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
farmerman wrote:
I see theyd have a distinct advantage as a carney goon.
We dont "believe in" evolution. Evolution is a fact It is demonstrated by all the evidence and NO evidence refutes it.. We dont "beleive" that yeast will ferment grape juice, one can prove it and thus it too is a fact.
Whether it ferments it or not,
from your own post, we know that u BELIEVE it.

If u DON'T believe it, then u r trying to deceive us.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 05:03 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Yes, that was my point, farmer. If it turned out that Nessie was more than a wisp of some Scostmen's overwrought imagination, all that proves is some species from the Jurassic and pre-Jurassic managed to survive into the present day. Hardly evidence of anything.
Your argument was well reasoned,
except that the surviving species
need not necessarily go back as far as the Jurassic Period.

David
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 05:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
a fact gos on whether you "believe it or not", When a fact is given enough evidence and proof that its being fits within a standard theory
Belief is irrelevant. We know how fermentation occurs via yeast, we dont "believe in it",
Belief is a mere tool , absent evidence.

Thats how it is in science

A yeast will ferment sugar whether or not there is a mind to "Believe" it.

Youve confused the popular context of "belief"

Its sorta risen to the level of what a theory is in science. Most people think that theory means mere speculation, it doesnt.
Fermentation happens, I try to understand how it does all that via the intercession of yeast.

Think about my sig line. Its actually true that a mechanism of a theory is first "Believed," however, when its emplaced within the theory , its a fact.

LEMME put it into something you can relate to

You "believe" that the present dministration is trying to take your guns, you dont know that is fact nor do you understand how.

You KNOW that you own a gun (or two). I believe that you own a gun because I have no further evidence but your say so.

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 05:16 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
need not necessarily go back as far as the Jurassic Period

I honestly BELIEVE that you are smarter than this and that youre just having fun. However, absent any further evidence...