Louisiana Private Schools Teach Loch Ness Monster Is Real In Effort To Disprove Evolution Theory

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 01:52 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Have you heard of 'intelligent falling?'
No.

izzythepush wrote:
The Einstein concepts challenged Newton's theory of gravity.
Gravity, like evolution is only a theory, so why not test it out?
R u gonna drop something ?

izzythepush wrote:
(I'm not telling you to do something stupid and dangerous btw)
Thanks for your concern.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 02:01 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
Clarke's Three Laws

1.When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2.The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3.Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws

Rap
SO STIPULATED

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 04:58 am
@farmerman,
HERES a new bit o news from the NCSE on this Louiiana kerfuffle on Nessie

Quote:
"Louisiana's Loch Ness mythology"

August 17th, 2012

Louisiana

Anti-Evolution

The Baton Rouge Advocate (August 16, 2012) editorially excoriated Louisiana's controversial new voucher program for its funding of schools that "not only teach creationist nonsense, but are proud of it." As NCSE previously reported, the voucher program uses public school funds to pay for tuition and certain fees at private schools for students who attend low-performing public schools and whose family income is below 250% of the federal poverty level. But as Zack Kopplin told the state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education at its July 2012 meeting, at least 19 of the 119 schools slated to benefit from the program apparently teach creationism instead of or along with evolution.

As a result, as Barbara Forrest, a professor of philosophy at Southeastern Louisiana University, a founder of the Louisiana Coalition for Science, and a member of NCSE's board of directors, told the Advocate, "What [students] are going to be getting financed with public money is phony science. They're going to be getting religion instead of science." Alluding to a textbook published by Accelerated Christian Education, the editorial noted, "Among the dubious assertions of creationist pseudo-science is that evolution is called into question by sightings of the Loch Ness monster, a 'dinosaur' living in the modern age — according to those who believe in the Loch Ness myth."

Quoting the state superintendent of schools, John White, as saying "If students are failing the test, we're going to intervene, and the test measures evolution," the editorial retorted, "The state has no intention, apparently, of launching any serious investigation of the Loch Ness monster in school curriculums. Instead, it will pay and pay, for years, and — if students do poorly on science tests at some future date — the state Department of Education might raise the question of why mythology is part of a school’s curriculum," adding, "A more-effective way would be for the department to open its eyes to this kind of educational malpractice before children’s futures are endangered."

The voucher program is presently under legal challenge from the Louisiana Association of Educators and the Louisiana Federation of Teachers along with a number of local school boards. But the issue of the state's funding the teaching of creationism is not part of the challenge. Rather, as the New Orleans Times-Picayune (July 10, 2012) explained, "Two key issues are at play in the voucher suit: whether providing private schools with money from the Minimum Foundation Program violates the [Louisiana state] constitution by redirecting those funds from public schools, and whether a last-minute vote setting the new MFP formula in place received enough support in the state House to carry the force of law."

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 12:04 am
This is doing the rounds at the moment under the title
Actual 4th grade science test from a school in SC
http://i.imgur.com/TYpLJpOh.jpg

I couldn't find it on Snopes as a fraud, but I'm still doubtful it's real (fingers crossed) for the same reasons this guy has.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 04:30 am
@hingehead,
I agree with you, it seems fake. But if it were real, it would be a travesty of science education and an affront to religious freedom (and our Constitution) in this country.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:56 pm
@hingehead,
It could possibly be real. But,if it is, i's most likely from a private religious-oriented school, not a public school run by taxpayer funds.
hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 04:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Somehow Andy that's not the least bit comforting.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 04:19 pm
I think it's real ... or has potential to be real

there are Americans who keep this place alive

http://creationmuseum.org/

Years ago, Set and I went to a pottery museum with a former colleague of mine and her family. They're extremely born-again. The parents were more than a little peeved with the exhibits that had dates like 4200 b.c. noted on them. There was a lot of family discussion in the corners of the museum. The kids seemed positively amazed by the date notation.

The thing with the private religious schools is that parents can use government-funded education vouchers to pay for their kids to attend. So, one way or another, this sort of thing can be government-funded.

Amazing to the non-Americans in the audience eh
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 04:27 pm
@ehBeth,
and me.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
don't forget to check out the dinosaur den at the Creation Museum and the Noah's Ark construction site (my personal favourite)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 04:33 pm
@ehBeth,
My temper is too short..
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 04:45 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Somehow Andy that's not the least bit comforting.

Not really meat to be comforting, just explanatory.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 06:01 pm
@ehBeth,
You're creating a false impression. The museum is in Canada, and the family in question is Canadian.
roger

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 06:04 pm
@Setanta,
You mean you haven't sequestered Arkansas? You could, you know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 06:41 pm
@Setanta,
The Creation Museum is in the U.S.

The pottery museum is in Canada.

School Vouchers happen in the U.S.
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 07:38 pm
@ehBeth,
The Creation "Fun Park and Museum" is just South of Cinncinnatti in Kentucky (sorta like Cinncinnatti's airport)
When the Geological Society of America had its NE section meeting in Cinncinnatti (I love the name Cinncinnatti), a group of drunked up geologists went down to see the whole spectacle and they didnt get tossed out but they came back with stories to tell their grandkids.
Ive been told that its a hoot. I do not think Id waste any of my time going there unless I had reason to be there in the first place (like I sometimes have to go to the Breidenbach Labs out there. Maybe then Id think about driving the 15 miles to be told that people made saddles for ceratopsian dinosaurs because they were like big horned camels. Kent Hovind has never taken drugs he said.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 05:26 pm
The exam paper is now on the Snopes radar - and rated probably true, full story:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/sciencetest.asp
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 05:29 pm
@hingehead,
I saw that earlier today. Amazing that the father apparently didn't know what they weren't teaching his daughter at school.

"Were you there?"
hingehead

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 05:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
"Were you there?"

That's a great argument isn't it? - pretty much discounts the entire bible too.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 05:37 pm
@hingehead,
I'm definitely adding it to my quiver.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_trNXEJH1uDA/SPy6R6J7dFI/AAAAAAAAAWo/t6W0eBnH_MU/s320/quiver+of+arrows.jpg

gonna be handy when I run into one of the gang members

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CdEWqSvgF6Q/URPGDUscE0I/AAAAAAAABd0/689GwIXT4cE/s1600/quiverfull.jpg

"you were there?"

bright happy enquiring smile