School reform becomes a civil rights issue

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 11:58 am
I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm curious as to what laws might apply to this though. Can any of A2K's legal minds point me in the right direction?

Quote:
Parents and students from seven cities are joining those in Chicago in filing civil rights complaints against school closings, phase-outs and other “rampantly horrible” reform upheavals they contend have disproportionately victimized minority communities, school activists said Thursday.

Brown said that residents of New York City; Detroit; Washington, D.C.; Boston; Atlanta; Wichita, Kan.; and Eureka, Miss., were filing complaints with the U.S. Department of Education, alleging that school closings and other “reform” efforts in those cities had disproportionately impacted African American and Hispanic students, thereby violating their civil rights.

More: http://www.suntimes.com/13324181-761/activists-chicago-school-reforms-violate-minority-students-rights.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,552 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:01 pm
@boomerang,
I can't offer you an answer, but i'm sort of bookmarking this thread because of my interest.
boomerang

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:46 pm
@Setanta,
The U.S. Constitution doesn't speak to education so I'm wondering if the states mentioned have it written into their Constitutions.

This sounds more like a federal lawsuit than a state lawsuit though.

I can't figure out what the legal angle is.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 06:01 pm
@boomerang,
I'm following it from the Wichita perspective, but have nothing to add for now.

the schools are being gutted here...
boomerang

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 06:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Let us know what you hear!
0 Replies