I want to start writing again...

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 01:53 am
The old timers here probably remember that I wrote a bit some years ago.

Want to start writing again, but seem to struggle

Plus I have no muse left

HELP !!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,811 • Replies: 17
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 07:26 am
Start by randomly beginning a sentence. Follow up with what naturally follows such an extraordinary thought. Keep writing it even if you know it is not that good. On the second day, revise it or throw it out. Repeat process daily. Eventually you will strike pay dirt.
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Writing is a lot like painting. You need to do it every day, and the days that you have no "Muse" are the days that you benefit from the discipline.
Muses are mere excuses.
the prince

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 11:19 am
@farmerman,
What is that I see in your eyes?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 11:47 am
@the prince,
Your muse still exists, due to hibernation it just appears to be gone.

Tap out a few letters on the keyboard and like the genie that appears when the magic lamp is rubbed, your muse will reappear.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 03:25 pm
@the prince,
Remember this, Prince?

Dont understand the system
But may I humbly suggest?
Any thread by Letty on here
has to be THE best !

Yes -- WA2K on the air was a stroke of genius even if it did take me awhile to get involved.

Lightwizard
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 07:17 am
We could do a writing competition in July, with a set theme, if there's interest. Users could vote with thumbs (and yes, that could be abused, but for the writer, the appeal should be in doing some writing and getting comments).

Would there be interest in something like that?
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 10:55 am
@jespah,
I was pulled intolistening to PBS's "three minute fiction" contest. If you did it here you should limit the number of words per submission.
jespah

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 03:36 pm
@farmerman,
I was thinking no more than 10k words, otherwise people are pouring out novels and that's not the intention.
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 04:00 pm
@jespah,
Id jump into a write-fest if it ere something like 500 to 1000 wds, You could do that without much planning and time investment. 10K is a lot for a fun thingy.
jespah

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 04:10 pm
@farmerman,
We can do short like that - it would probably be better as more people would be likely to read all of the entries.
the prince

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 11:50 pm
@jespah,
I think this is a brilliant idea. One for prose, and one for poetry.
jespah

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:21 am
@the prince,
Thanks! But let's just have one topic. Let's start small as I've got no idea how much interest there will be. Hence let's start with allowing either, with a smaller word count for poetry, say 100 - 200 words?

I don't want to overly complicate this and I don't want readers to be comparing apples and oranges, but if it's only the three of us participating, then two topics is big-time overkill.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:48 am
@jespah,
Quote:
We could do a writing competition in July, with a set theme, if there's interest. Users could vote with thumbs (and yes, that could be abused, but for the writer, the appeal should be in doing some writing and getting comments).

Would there be interest in something like that?

While the interest exists, the thumbing, as you said could be abused. Some are thumbed down just for breathing.

As to the main appeal, there are risks in the comment factor as some people will blow a gasket if they are criticized and others will do similar if they see one of their unfavored people getting compliments.

I say go for it and see what happens, it may be a spectacular success or something with tepid response, only way to find out is by trying it.
jespah

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:39 am
@Sturgis,
Oh, I'm more or less counting on the thumbing being abused and on someone being an asshole.

I think writers need to realize that there are risks involved in posting and they need to have thicker skins. Readers need to realize that if they are nasty, they'll get thumbed down and ignored.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:50 am
@jespah,
I once belonged to a group on a web site for writers. The Writers Association. The man behind the operation was a very good writer, who self published his work, which was mostly sci-fi. He and certain members offered free editing to members and any member could freely comment on submissions. There was a portion of the site where the owner of the Association and chosen members worked invisibly with persons who expected to publish and who did not wish the public to see the work in any form. The whole thing fell apart when the owner died. He was the heart and soul of that group. I would like to see a2k or some other forum do the same thing, but so far I haven't come across anyone doing that in the same way.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:52 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Oh, I'm more or less counting on the thumbing being abused and on someone being an asshole.

I think writers need to realize that there are risks involved in posting and they need to have thicker skins. Readers need to realize that if they are nasty, they'll get thumbed down and ignored
For me the writing is done for the purpose of enjoyment. First my own, then hopefully for someone else as well. If people don't like it, that's fine by me and if they compliment it too much I will scurry off, embarrassed by all the attention.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:55 am
@edgarblythe,
I think that would be a good use for groups. Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA on groups so this is what we've got to work with at the moment.
0 Replies