DO NOT CALL LIST??? NOT IN EFFECT ANYMORE?

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 03:59 am
What is it with the Do Not Call List?

I have been getting one or two annoying calls each day...calls that should have been blocked by being on the Do Not Call List.

Has the list gone the way of the dinosaurs...or is my experience just an anomaly?

Been going on for over a month now. I've been ignoring it, but yesterday afternoon I got three...and one on my cell phone (also on Do Not Call)!

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 04:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
It's not an anomaly, but I don't think the list is done. I think it's more likely that retailers are desperate. I ask very sweetly for names and contact information, then tell them I'm reporting them to the Federal Trade Commission.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 04:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
in Canada we have to re-up after a few years

we let the machine grab any call we don't recognize

and only family has the cell number, we rarely use it
mismi

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 06:40 am
@djjd62,
I think you do here too Didge. I heard that from somewhere and noticed more calls creeping in as of late. I need to go do it again. But we do the same thing. Our phone "speaks" the name calling. If we don't recognize it, we don't answer it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 07:12 am
I've seen one company trying to get around the DNC list by pretending to do political surveys then offering a "reward opportunity" after the clearly bogus survey. They've called my home three times and my cell phone once.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:59 am
I have noticed this too. I have my cell phone on that list. I am now getting calls from random churches, companies offering " insurance" etc...

*sigh*
0 Replies

nqyringmind

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 11:33 am
"Rules are made to be broken" is a banner that likely hangs over the entrance to all of these telemarketing scammers.
They use Canadian area codes to call US numbers in order to get around DNC regulations.
They have 31 days to stop calling you, so when they reach the 31 day deadline, they switch to phone lines that are under a different DBA.
If you bought something from Sears, any of their affiliates can telemarket you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 12:47 pm
Thanks everyone for the comments here. I guess the "business people" have found a way around the law and are going to make calls even though they understand the calls are annoying and unwelcome.

I wish something could be done to tie up their lines somehow...to make the enterprise unproductive and expensive.

Hey...wishes do not cost a penny. I suspect I will just have to put up with the nonsense.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 01:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I have been getting one or two annoying calls each day...calls that should have been blocked by being on the Do Not Call List.

Has the list gone the way of the dinosaurs...or is my experience just an anomaly?

Been going on for over a month now. I've been ignoring it, but yesterday afternoon I got three...and one on my cell phone (also on Do Not Call)!

I do believe that cell phones aren't covered by the Do Not Call list. It was a so called compromise between bill collectors and the government.

As for your home phone? It's a possibility that the callers have found a loophole in the Do Not Call list law AND/OR the agency supposedly enforcing the regulation has stopped or deeply relaxed its enforcement of the law. Either way the Do Not Call list/regulation is an absolute failure of a policy.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 07:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I've gotten two calls just today--recorded messages about my credit card, or a phony political opinion survey that includes a trip to Disney-world for participating. And I get called by these same people several times a week. I also get a recorded message that I've won a vacation at least once a week.

Lately I've also gotten several calls allegedly from "Microsoft Windows" regarding error messages I've supposedly been receiving on my computer. I hang up on those fairly quickly, so I don't know what their pitch is.

Generally, I receive far fewer calls than I did prior to the Do Not Call List. It used to be non-stop from the dinner hour and beyond. What calls I do get now are mostly in the daytime.

But these outfits with the recorded sales pitches seem to have found a way to circumvent the law.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 07:59 pm
You are all pansies, try oweing money.
firefly

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:00 pm
@ossobuco,
If you owe money, those people are entitled to call you.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
You are all pansies, try oweing money.
That's why I screen my calls.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 08:11 pm
@firefly,
I get wild calls - people wanting me to pay my student loans.

I never had student loans - I went to a university sans tuition and worked my way through, something like 35 hours a week plus transportation hours..
I will never answer that call, the guy with dulcet voice.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 07:41 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Lately I've also gotten several calls allegedly from "Microsoft Windows" regarding error messages I've supposedly been receiving on my computer. I hang up on those fairly quickly, so I don't know what their pitch is.

That's a really good scam, they tell you your computer is under attack, and tell you to go to a specific screen which detasils such attacks. Most people don't know what it means so they pay for some anti virus service they don't need.

Over here we've got the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), that's supposed to stop UK calls, but it doesn't affect foreign calls. I get a lot of calls from people with Indian accents who claim to have English names like James.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 07:51 am
@firefly,
Quote:
If you owe money, those people are entitled to call you.

That is not necessarily true. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) is the Federal law that says what debt collectors can and can't do. Collectors' contacts with debtors or alleged debtors are regulated. For example, they cannot call you before 8:00 am or after 9:00 pm, local time. If you hang up, they are not entitled to call you repeatedly.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 03:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

What is it with the Do Not Call List?

How do computerized "robo calls" fall into this topic? I wonder if robot calls can call anyone?
0 Replies