Lexmark X83 Printer question

caprice

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:26 pm
I have the above printer type and up until recently have never had any problems with it.

Lately when I print a document it takes several minutes to print. Up until this started happening, it would take a few seconds at most to commence printing.

Any thoughts on what might cause this problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,344 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:34 pm
I probably can't answer this but the guy who can might want to know this:

Does it take a long time to send to the printer or to actually print the page?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:52 pm
The actual print takes the same amount of time as it always does, it's the send that takes ages.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 09:49 am
Is it connected directly to your PC, or is it a network printer?

Which OS are you using?

What are you printing, text or graphics?

Try printing some plain text from notepad...does it still take a long time?

If that makes any difference (& if it's a local printer), the problem most likely is that either you're running out of space on your C: partition (that's where the print spool is) or you're running out of RAM.

To "fix" this, well....clear up as much space on C: as you can, shut down background programs to free up RAM, defragment & error check your harddrive, reduce the DPI & the number of pages you're printing at a time, & make sure you're using the latest printer driver.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:41 pm
monger: It's connected directly to the PC...USB connection. OS is Windows XP, and whether it is the simplest of text or a graphic, it takes a long time for the send.

Definitely not running out of RAM or C drive space. It's my parents' computer. They don't even have 25% of the hard drive filled. (40 GB total) RAM is 256 MB. They don't have many programs on their computer other than the bundled stuff.

Maybe reinstalling the software will help?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 11:43 pm
Oh, and I do regular maintenance on the computer, so diskcleanup, defrag and scandisk done on a regular basis.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 02:03 pm
Okay, so here I am again. I reinstalled the printer software and I'm still getting this HUGE lag between the time I request the print and by the time the printer actually prints.

Suggestions?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 01:50 pm
Didn't see this earlier. Since the printer is on USB, you might wanna first disconnect it from the computer, then set a System Restore point (so the worst that can happen is you can get back to where you were before) then go into Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the printer program, go to device manager, make sure the printer is gone, remove USB, buy the printer a new USB cable, leave it unconnected, reboot your machine (it will find and reinstall USB support), then re-install your printer. I believe the Lexmark install routine wants you to load the software from the disk, then prompts youwhen to connect the printer. Check the documentation to be sure. You prolly oughta check Lexmark's website to see if there's an updated driver for your printer, too ... that might help. If all that does work for you, go to System Restore and set a new restore point at that configuration.
0 Replies

technobunny

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:13 pm
resolution?
I have read the posts with regard to this X83 problem. We are having the same difficulties. It just suddenly started about two months ago. Have you figured out what is causing it and has it been fixed?
0 Replies