How do I create a scene break to separate instances of letter-writing between characters

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:44 pm
My story is fiction and it uses the first-line indent paragraph style. It includes some instances where characters are writing messages to each other through email. I'd like to set the email messages apart from the rest of the text with a blank line. Is there an acceptable way to do this? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,838 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:58 pm
@Basset711,
I'd just hit enter twice and make a blank line. Are you asking how to program this? In fiction writing, letters have been used as dramatic devices for, gadzooks, probably centuries, and my understanding is that the formatting is just to keep them separate and clear as to who is writing what. Perhaps with italics. E. g.

To: Jane From: Edward
Marry me!

To: Edward From: Jane
You mock me!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 06:29 pm
@jespah,
At least you apparently understood the question he was asking, Jes. Me, I was lost for an answer, not comprehending the question.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 01:40 am
@Basset711,
There is no standard way that I know of.

Although you can enter an extra blank line, it could get lost if it falls at the bottom of a page.

You can try a few asterisks before and after *****

If your work is accepted for publication, tell the publisher that you want the messages visually separate from the rest of the text. The designer should be able to accomplish this.
0 Replies