Freedom of speech vs freedom to sell said speech

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:19 pm
fishin' wrote:
But how do you go about proving that one single song is what caused another person to kill? You don't have a fixed trail to chase after here.

I remember only a few cases where the murderer said they killed because of a song. I vaguely remember Iron Maiden's "Eddie" (not sure if I gotr that right) being blamed in a "Eddie told me to kill" explanation.

Quote:
You get into what influenced who and there are millions of things that influence every one of us. That makes it almost impossible to pin a death on a song or "artist" so you don't see the lawsuits and those that do get started never get anywehere.

Yeah, by and large I agree. The art imitating life vs. life imitating art issue is complex.

I wrote about it as a kid. My opinion then is the same as it is now, that art tends to be as much a microcosm of life as it is something that shapes society.

Quote:
I dunno. Maybe I'm not explaining my thoughts here well...

Nah, I think you explained it well. It's just that the issue is complex.

I do think the DMCA and such are on shakey ground. So maybe comparisons with that is flawed.
0 Replies