Should we live each day as though it were our last ?

fresco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 02:38 pm
It might be !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,807 • Replies: 33
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 02:41 pm
Might not be. I'd be mighty dissapointed if I'd lost my job somply because I hadn't died overnight.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 03:00 pm
Sealpoet

That could mean its the wrong job !
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 03:01 pm
since my stoke last month, I consider this possibility every night when I go to bed.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 04:57 pm
Fresco, I truly believe that we should live each day as though it were our first. (with a few "just in cases" on the back burner.)

Dys, didn't I tell you that you were going to be ok? Hmmm, maybe that was the nun in sunglasses.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:52 pm
truth
I prefer to live each day as if yesterday were my last.

Dyslexia: circumstances have forced wisdom onto thee.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:52 pm
Good grief. There's J.L. playing that fiddle....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:24 pm
In some ways it makes great sense - ie to view our interactions with others in that way, to appreciate the beauties and joys of the day in that way and so on.

Probably wouldna work too well re paying mortgages, how you speak to the boss, and whether or ot you went to work and such.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:38 pm
If I lived today as if it would be my last, I'd be in jail tomorrow...
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:39 pm
fresco wrote:
Sealpoet

That could mean its the wrong job !

Three peer-approval points for that! It most certainly is the wrong job, and I'm working on getting another one... but if today isn't my last day, then the mortgage bill comes.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 08:54 pm
You should certainly live each day with your eyes open

but, uh yeah....you think theres crowding in the jails now...it wouldnt be pretty
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 08:57 pm
There was a guy who worked where I used to, emptying garbage and cleaning floors, who was diagnosed with cancer, terminal and inoperable. He chose to keep going to work, because it was all he'd ever done. Very... I dunno, poignant.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:42 am
Hmmm - many assumptions that we would do very illegal things if we knew it was our last day...why is that?

My thoughts are of doing very gentle things....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:12 am
dlowan, I think because many of them are illegal precisely because there is an assumption that people would do them if there were no consequences. Illegal = consequences. Die tomorrow = no consequences.

I guess my goal is to live each day as if I might die tomorrow, (as in the OP.) If it occurs to me to tell someone they mean a lot to me, I do -- why not. If it occurs to slug someone, I'll think twice. Unless they really deserve it...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:27 am
truth
Dlowan, I agree. One of the "gentle things" (perhaps the only thing) I would do--if others would permit me--is to organize myself around, or toward, the event of dying. Why should we live our last day as if it were to go on indefintely. The most important event of my life might be my death; as such it deserves my full attention.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 12:50 pm
It might be my last day, and I also might live to be 100. The best way is to be prepared for anything - even the good things.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 12:57 pm
OMIGOD I'M GOING TO DIE!!! HOLY **** THAT SUCKS!!!! I SHOULD HUG EVWERYONE AND WRTIE A WILL AND DO DANGEROUS THINGS BECAUWE I WILL DIE.
OMIGOD I AM GOING TO DIE. ****.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:09 pm
truth
Portal Star, that will probably be the reaction to the ulitmate news of most people, of those who have not prepared themselves for their inevitable death. I sure intend not to be one of them. And since I have known prepared ones, I believe it's possible and desireable.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:34 pm
I think it depends a lot on your age. I will hopefully not be doing that when I'm 85. But, I am early on in my human lifetime, have paintings to paint, children to produce, and living tomorrow like I would die at the end of it would not be a very productive day.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 09:34 pm
truth
I understand, Portal Star, but I've had this attitude of mine since I was in my thirties. You may, despite your youth die soon, as we all may. And there is no reason not to paint and plan for a long life even while preparing oneself philosophically for death now.
0 Replies