@djjd62,
I think of their kind more like rich white trash
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:30 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
close contact with the opposite sex.

about the only part that interested me about high school grad was the after-party where everyone confessed to each other that they'd had crushes on each other

Ron. Really? Wow.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 01:31 pm
@djjd62,
It is - the sad thing is - some of the girls that my daughter play with are extremely talented. But they are selfish - they want all the glory and I see them as a result not doing so well.

One girl in particular, will get a rebound, and take the ball up court, running with it and then because her talent isn't ball handling, she ends up turning over the ball. Whereas if she were to pass to the point guard and run down the court, ideally the point guard would handle the ball and be able to make a clean pass and an easy basket. Instead she ends up losing control of the ball or overrunning and misses an easy layup or simply overturns the ball.

And no one corrects her on it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 02:13 pm
I love it that this is quoted on a website called "The Swellesley Report".

If he'd said Wellesley was nothing special, he'd have been tarred,
feathered, and banished to Natick.
George

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 02:18 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
. . . And if you knew the community - they would all think their child was
special and have probably been saying it to them for years.....
Oops. Looks like you already made the same point.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:42 pm
@George,
Yes we have Swellesley and Deluxbury. I actually almost bought a place in Deluxbury....I am sure there are others, but can't think of them now.
0 Replies

space007

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:39 am
@Linkat,
Be exceptional must be special first?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 03:07 pm
I thought it was wordy - I wouldn't call him a special or exceptional writer.

I think THIS girl has a special and exceptional talent - does that make HER special and exceptional? I don't know- I'd say she must be an exceptionally motivated musician - any eleven year old who can play like that has practiced alot - and I'd say her practice and talent have manifested exceptionally successfully for a child her age.

I don't have any problem with recognizing outstanding and exceptional characteristics and/or talents in children or anyone else.
I like to give credit where credit is due and I can't take the words 'special' or 'exceptional' away from this girl.
I think this guy is generalizing.

(And no - that doesn't mean I automatically apply those words to my own or anyone else's children without due cause or evidence).

0 Replies