Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:22 pm
Hello all. I am the validictorian of my graduation class this year, and I need help in doing a speech. I'm good in English, got no problem in that, but this is the first time I do a speech like that and it is a very unique occasion that I haven't been to before.
So could you please give me ideas on how to start with that speech? What to include in it? How to give it? What should I stress on? How long should it be? Examples?? ..
Thank you so much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 39,059 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 06:47 pm
Hi Vonderjohn...

Congratulations on being selected for such an honor.

Well, let's start with the definition of a valeditory speech. It is usually an expression of farewell or leave-taking. You could start with that and recall some of the highlights of the years with your graduating class and move on to cite achievements by your classmates and what the future holds for your peers.

Think of it as a review of past years together as well as a pep talk to your peers as you move on and go your separate ways.

Do a search on www.google.com for highschool valedictory speeches to see examples of what others have written in the past.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:15 pm
Congratulations, vonderjohn!!

Back in the Stone Age, my class valedictorian talked about the world we were headed out into-- A historical perspective of classes before us being released into a world at war, depression... She said how relatively fortunate we were-- but did expound on current economics, job markets and the responsibility of American citizens to contribute to our country.

Just another example of what someone did.

When is your graduation?

I think she started with bang-- Some congratulatory comment to our class, related to the achievement of just getting the hell out of high school.

You know, vjohn. I'm sure you are set for greater things, but you may be the keynote speaker at the ceremony marking the greatest achievement some of your classmates will ever experience... <no pressure. :wink: >
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 03:47 pm
Thank you
Thank you both for the precious advice you gave me..
Oh well, I know how important and meaningful my position will be to everyone, especially my classmates, and this is what's putting the pressure on me to come out with a well-organized, striking, ear-triggering, memoriable speech Smile !
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:21 pm
Heheh. I'm sure an "ear-triggering" speech will be memorable indeed. I am so using that word from now on.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:12 am
hi vonderjohn
i am not very good at english but i dare say that i nearly specialize in that.
after hundreds of speeches i find the most important ingredient of a good speech: TRY TO SHOW YOUR PERSONALITY YOUR EMOTIONS AND YOUR OWN SENTIMENT AS MORE AS YOU CAN. Use your words to arouse your audience's emotions.

Maybe sometimes you really have to ask Adolf Hitler how to make speech Smile
0 Replies