• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,387 • Replies: 46
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:57 am
@Mary Ann Falls,
Has it been dropped lately? Perhaps there's a loose wire. And are you sure the new batteries aren't close to dead, too?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 11:32 am
@Mary Ann Falls,
Make sure you didn't install one of the batteries backward

I’ll send a link of this thread to my excellent aerospace tech Son No. 1 and if he has a suggestion I’ll get back to you
Ragman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 12:10 pm
@dalehileman,
If the battery were installed backwards on any remote there'd be zero operation.

I'd check to make sure the new batteries are fresh. It's not rare the new batteries could've gotten drained.

My dog rested on top of my remote and I had to change the batteries (again). Sometimes one of the remote's button gets stuck and can also drain a set of batteries.

Then I'd make sure the 'eye' on the remote and the pathway to the TV/or receiver is clear of any obstructions.
engineer

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 12:43 pm
@Ragman,
I think that last one is very likely. If the sensor on the TV is partially occluded then it might take a while for the angle of the remote and the sensor to match up. Make sure the sensor on the TV is free from obstructions.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 02:01 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
If the battery were installed backwards on any remote there'd be zero operation.
If every cell were installed backward. However, it might work very haltingly if only one were reversed

Ragman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 02:34 pm
@dalehileman,
Wrong. Try doing that with your TV remote and report back as to what happens. You're misinformed.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 02:36 pm
@dalehileman,
Nope, dale.
Maybe fifteen years ago when remotes had three AAs tucked inside.
~~
I'm going with the El Cheap battery theory, or good batteries that have been in the desk drawer for two and half years.

Buy two new batteries, put them in carefully noting the + and - directions, then re-check to make sure you can actually point at the sensor.

Joe(fire away)Nation
dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 04:28 pm
@Joe Nation,
it might work very haltingly if only one were reversed
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 04:33 pm
@Ragman,
If every cell were installed backward. However, it might work very haltingly if only one were reversed

Quote:
@dalehileman,
Wrong. Try doing that with your TV remote and report back as to what happens. You're misinformed
I’m not. In fact when just a few months ago my tv remote, by no means 15 years old, worked erratically and I called its mfr, the gal suggested I check to be sure the cells were all inserted correctly. Of the four, I was embarrassed to admit in fact one of them was reversed
Ragman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 04:42 pm
@dalehileman,
I find this truly fascinating. You say that you have a TV remote with 4 cells? Please tell me the the brand and model.

Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 04:43 pm
Then again, the problem could be within the device the remote is being aimed at.
Ragman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 04:47 pm
@Sturgis,
I second that. Quite a possibility.

Here's another possibile answer:

"Do you have an Infra-Red repeater anywhere? Perhaps something else is jamming the I-R port on the TV. It might be a TV problem, and not a remote problem at all."
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 04:51 pm
I’ve that problem more then once. The contacts on those buttons also need cleaned every now and then, like the keyboard on my laptop. Dirt and dust gets in and sometimes the buttons get a little sticky.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 08:42 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
I find this truly fascinating.
I am very pleased

Quote:
You say that you have a TV remote with 4 cells?
Yes

Quote:
Please tell me the the brand and model.

Dish Network; EchoStar Technologies LLC; 153638; Made in Mexico; 6.4; IR/UHF PRO; FCC IDD: DKNFSK03

Front finished in silver; rear grey plastic; adapter #2

Uses four AAA cells
Ragman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 05:45 am
@dalehileman,
OK. Part of the problem with knowing quite a bit about electronics is that these electronics mfrs always throw an odd-ball perverse curve at you. My apologies to you for doubting. I can see the possibility with a 4-battery-remote that it's possible that if you put one in wrong it can produce such a result. Not so with a 2-battery remote. Live and learn.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:42 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
OK. Part of the problem with knowing quite a bit about electronics is that these electronics mfrs always throw an odd-ball perverse curve at you.
They never stop, they continue attempting to outwit us

Quote:
My apologies to you for doubting.
Apology accepted

Quote:
I can see the possibility with a 4-battery-remote that it's possible that if you put one in wrong it can produce such a result.
It was embarrassing since I’m an erstwhile inventor and writer in the field but in my defense just lately they’ve changed the flashlight battery making both ends look much alike, especially with the AAA

Quote:
Not so with a 2-battery remote.
Yes, so one might suppose with a zero net voltage

Quote:
Live and learn.
Alas I’ve done much of the former and little of the latter
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:02 am
Four batteries.
Horse of a different color.

That will teach me to imagine that a 'slow remote' would be restricted to the same size and shape as the two TV remotes I have. (and the dozen or so of the past few years.)

Satellite Dish Remote, who'd a thunk it?

Joe(mea culpa)Nation
Ragman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:18 am
@Joe Nation,
Just out of curiosity...might you be thinking of a possibility that that Dish remote makes the satellite dish move around?
Ragman

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 10:20 am
@dalehileman,
I think Mary Ann fell and can't get up!

dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
OK. Part of the problem with knowing quite a bit about electronics is that these electronics mfrs always throw an odd-ball perverse curve at you.
They never stop, they continue attempting to outwit us

Agreed

Quote:
.. in my defense just lately they’ve changed the flashlight battery making both ends look much alike, especially with the AAA

Agreed
0 Replies